Water params are wonky, critters and corals are fine?!?!?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stunning!!!! I just took out the thermometer. Good call. I have a glass one in there and forgot to take out the metal one. Lol
Thank you Sweet Coraline. Here is a list of one of my orders from reefcleaners.org, most are small and can get into every nook and cranny. Only if you have no crabs, you will loose many if you do. It is nice to see my glass covered with so many different snails doing their job. Some are .15 to 17 cents each and you can get many for your tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse

Advising owners of cycled tanks to test for nitrite sets us all backwards and doesn’t align with today’s practices.

you don’t tell them about misread possibilities or that nitrite is fully neutral in reefing even during a cycle. You didn’t say that common dosers people use and may not disclose cause false positives (and then some sort of doser purchased to add in response)

concerning over nitrite months after a cycle is completed causes doubt, hesitation and chemical souping as folks try and add dosers for a feared condition that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. You’re getting lots of great advice so I’ll just note one thing I noticed that I don’t think has been mentioned. Since you seem to have low nitrate. You said you do a 30% water change every week. That’s a lot and not really necessary. It also removes 30% of your nitrates every week. You can get away with 10% weekly or 20% every other week. Might help with nitrates. Make it easier to keep them up. Good luck. You’ve got This. You’re doing great. Everybody has these struggles as nothing ever goes perfectly when starting up a tank.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From our community and hundreds of votes

which two params Lasse are the least tested

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I have said before to you Brandon - a thing will not be true because a majority is wrong. And I only recommend nitrite testing (it is a very reliable test) - not ammonium testing (which is very unreliable) With testing nitrite now and then - you will get a blueprint how your nitrification works. Nitrite tests seldom give false readings - if all.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of small fishes and I have seen that the banded coral shrimp was catching small fish for me. I have no banded coral shrimps in my aquarium for the moment.

Sincerely Lasse

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sweet Coraline. Here is a list of one of my orders from reefcleaners.org, most are small and can get into every nook and cranny. Only if you have no crabs, you will loose many if you do. It is nice to see my glass covered with so many different snails doing their job. Some are .15 to 17 cents each and you can get many for your tank.
Oh I forgot to mention most snails disappear into the sand and rocks when the lights start to ramp up.

OP
OP
Sweet Coraline

Sweet Coraline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of small fishes and I have seen that the banded coral shrimp was catching small fish for me. I have no banded coral shrimps in my aquarium for the moment.

Sincerely Lasse
Yeah. That little jerk went back today. Both fish were smaller than he was and liked his territory. Every chance he got, he'd dart at them. He started eating both from the tail up after lights out when I also go to bed. With my tank this small and seeing this territory guarding, he's gone. I'll be purchasing different testing kits based on the above advice. The tank has been up for about three months, so still new. I've always been pretty hands off with my tanks beyond usual maintenance. I'd prefer to keep this tank lower tech-no skimmer, no dosing if possible. Will probably upgrade lights for the corals. Going to check my nitrates again today just to see. I'm really only testing at this point due to having added fish over the last month and new corals.
My Colt coral has been shrinking since the upgrade, I do not know why.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%
Back