Water perameters good, fish still dieing !

Samgumbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
First off in new to this forum and I'm excited to have another source of information for this awesome hobby.and Thank you in advance for any help ! Long story, I first had a 40 gallon hexagon tank for about a year, everything thing was great and fish never died off. So I decided to move to a 55 gallon rectangle (so much easier to clean) and that's basically when the trouble started. I moved 100%of the water to the new tank and added 20 lbs of live sand. First I lost my coral beauty, then a mandrane blenny, a file fish, followed by my two clowns (which I believe got brooklynella ) then two chromis. All of them within a month and a half. Along with snails and my emerald crab in-between all that. My ammonia and nitrite is 0 PH is about 8.0 and my nitrate is about 30. I was keeping my salinity at 1.026, which the more I read the more I want to drop it to 1.022. I'm very frustrated everything was going great then I decided to change tanks Thank you again for any help. Ps I have one chromis, one diamond back goby, a star fish and hermit crabs left. They look fine and are eating well. Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, let me say welcome to Reef2Reef! We're glad you're here and I'm sorry to hear about your losses. Tank moves can be a challenge and the tank can go through another "cycle" (even a mini "cycle") which affects ammonia. Additionally, the added stress can even bring out diseases that were present but not affecting the fish. You mentioned moving the water, but how much live rock did you move and how much additional rock did you add? What type of filtration are you using (HOB, canister, sump, etc.)?

#jayhamdel #reefsquad

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

I wish I could give you a quick answer. But your problem is pervasive, in that it has taken so many fish, and long term and doesn't seem completely connected to basic water parameters.

I'd check for stray electrical current. And more info from you. I certainly appears that something related to the new tank and/or the move has created a long term issue. BTW, was the 40g tank in fact new? If not, maybe take a water sample and have it tested for copper. Or even send it in to get a full analysis for other possible issues.

I'm going to assume you are using RO/DI water. Do you make it yourself? And which salt are you using? (more curious than thinking the salt is an issue). Also, do you have any corals? How have they been doing in the new tank?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I think the answer here is that your tank went through another cycle with the fish and inverts present... and they couldn't handle the stress or ammonia.

Your tank is showing nitrites now and high nitrates...i think this is the clue to show a big cycle occurred, nit just a mini cycle (which i would have expected). Clowns can usually survive a cycle, but they will be stressed... which i suspect is what brought on the Brooklynella.

Tank moves need to take place very slowly. You don't mention any live rock moved over.

At this point, I would let the tank run for 45 days without anything in it (fallow) to attempt to clear out the Brooklynella. Run some carbon just in case of a toxin in the water. Big water change. And maybe add some bottled bacteria.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t added anything new (that was wet) from another tank or LFS than it’s probably going to be an ammonia spike or Ich.

Maybe check the calibration on your Refractometer?

You mentioned Brooklynella. Brook isn’t like Ich I’m my experience. If it’s there...it usually does significant damage to the fish and doesn’t go away and then reappear later. I’m doubtful it’s Brook unless you added something new. Ich on the other hand can come and go and remain in the gills undetected. If the fish were stressed during/after the move Ich could definitely kill some of the weaker fish.

Best of Luck!

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Another one sucked in!
Patrick Plotting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back