Water quality and livestock addition after huge alk spike

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago, I dosed ESV B-Ionic alkalinity and calcium. I used half the recommended starter dose and my alk went from 8 to 20+ on both the Hannah and Red Sea titration test. I did water changes to try and rectify the spike, but only made it worse using different than normal salt. Alk remained high PLUS hypersalinity. I lost all but 3 fish, 1 urchin and 1 coral after removing them a bucket of premade (store bought) saltwater.

A few weeks later and one added fish (diamond watchman goby), I tested my water yesterday morning after filter maintenance, adding purigen and phosguard. The results looked promising. I think I did go through a mini-cycle as I got diatoms, dinos and cyano again. I know my salinity and alk remain high but I have a water change today that should restore me to under 12DKH and back to 1.026. Params were as follows:

Temp: 80F
Salinity: 1.028/29
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Phosphate: 0.06ppm
Alkalinity: 12.2DKH
Calcium: 448ppm

I dosed 1/4 fl oz of ESV B-ionic calcium today after initial calcium reading of 373 and alk was 14.2. After raising calcium to 448, alk dropped to 12.2. I don't have a magnesium tester, so no MAG results.

After the water change and retest after a few days, do you think that I am ok to start adding coral and livestock again?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should add corals when you expect parameters will not change, especially alk. If you will keep your alk at 12 which is still pretty high, then its ok to add corals, but if you plan to reduce alk further, then wait till you get to your target before adding coral. Fish I think are ok with slight change in alk, but not corals.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back