Water Quality

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I started my Biocube 32 about 4 months ago. I started out with dry rock and cycled with microbacter. Everything seemed ok except I could never get an accurate ammonia reading. I started out with API and was getting a cloudy blue result, then switched to another brand with little yellow test dots (I can’t remember the brand). I got two clowns and set up a qt tank with basically the same parameters. They were in there for 6 weeks and I transferred them to the biocube. The male was struggling and I realized he was passing a tapeworm. He died soon after. I treated with prazipro. I added an anemone and it died immediately, then the female clown was acting strange so I put her back in qt, she recovered and is doing well. I was still getting bizarre ammonia tests so I got a new API. It was reading a cloudy white. I mixed distilled water with fresh saltwater I mixed from rodi and finally got a yellow result. I’m sure my city water (South Tampa) is crap. My TDS is reading 0. I need to have options for clean water. Have any of you experienced this? Ph holds steady at 8, no nitrates or nitrites, OG at 1.023 and temp at 78°.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sg seems low. Maybe that’s what did in the anemone. Strange that you have 0 nitrates. How long did the tank cycle? Did you wc after the prazipro?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send off for an ICP test. ATI is what I’ve used.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect your rock is leaching something. Some form of metal element.

This assumption is based of your main tank water chemistry being hostile but your QT not. And I assume you don't have any rock in your QT?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that for the biocube last week. I ordered two more tests for my tap water and rodi. I’ll post the results as soon as they are ready. The problem is whether or not I can use my water. I don’t want to rely on purchasing water.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advise above! As an ICP test will prove/disprove my heavy/toxic metal theory.

Because you are using the same water and salt and equipment to mix both your main tank and QT water. Correct?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sg seems low. Maybe that’s what did in the anemone. Strange that you have 0 nitrates. How long did the tank cycle? Did you wc after the prazipro?
Sg was at 1.025 when the anemone died. I doubt salinity would kill it within hours, besides the tank I got it from is held at 1.023 for years. I’m sure the water has lots of metals. I did 20% wc before I introduced the anemone. Also, I’m sure the ammonia levels have been high.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sg was at 1.025 when the anemone died. I doubt salinity would kill it within hours, besides the tank I got it from is held at 1.023 for years. I’m sure the water has lots of metals. I did 20% wc before I introduced the anemone. Also, I’m sure the ammonia levels have been high.
Did you drip acclimate the Anemone? If yes for how long? Because they are so sensitive and some specimens can be quite finicky to temp and Sg swings ect.

Best is to wait for ICP results before you do or add anything else to your tank.

Just curious, what dry rock did you use? And did you glue the aqua scape together? And if yes, what did you use? Glue , Putty or cement ect?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip acclimated for a couple hours. I have Marco rock. I thoroughly rinsed it before adding it to the tank. I was suspicious of the rock leeching chemicals but my qt has the same parameters. I didn’t use anything to adhere the rock. It’s just stacked.

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drip acclimate the Anemone? If yes for how long? Because they are so sensitive and some specimens can be quite finicky to temp and Sg swings ect.

Best is to wait for ICP results before you do or add anything else to your tank.

Just curious, what dry rock did you use? And did you glue the aqua scape together? And if yes, what did you use? Glue , Putty or cement ect?
Also, I have coarse crushed coral for the bed. I thoroughly rinsed that too before cycling.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you rinsed your sand and rocks....did you rinse it with tap water or with rodi water?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap, but again, I don’t think the problem is in the rock. My quarantine is testing with the same parameters and it only has a pvc tube and ceramic bio filter. I’m hoping to filter my own water but waiting on test results. I’m just curious to see what others are doing in my situation. My tap water is horrible and hopefully I can get a rodi that can successfully remove the harmful elements. My TDS showed my tap water was at about 400ppm. I don’t think that reading is completely accurate, but still crazy high.

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I completely misunderstood you. I thought the problem was only in your main tank.
Best is to wait for ICP results as now I'm stumped too!!

Are you running carbon?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I started my Biocube 32 about 4 months ago. I started out with dry rock and cycled with microbacter. Everything seemed ok except I could never get an accurate ammonia reading. I started out with API and was getting a cloudy blue result, then switched to another brand with little yellow test dots (I can’t remember the brand). I got two clowns and set up a qt tank with basically the same parameters. They were in there for 6 weeks and I transferred them to the biocube. The male was struggling and I realized he was passing a tapeworm. He died soon after. I treated with prazipro. I added an anemone and it died immediately, then the female clown was acting strange so I put her back in qt, she recovered and is doing well. I was still getting bizarre ammonia tests so I got a new API. It was reading a cloudy white. I mixed distilled water with fresh saltwater I mixed from rodi and finally got a yellow result. I’m sure my city water (South Tampa) is crap. My TDS is reading 0. I need to have options for clean water. Have any of you experienced this? Ph holds steady at 8, no nitrates or nitrites, OG at 1.023 and temp at 78°.
So, I sent a sample to ICP and the results are horrible! I can’t believe how high my my chlorine levels are after rodi filter. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 262B553D-0EBA-4CD2-A2E4-BA6464356AF4.jpeg
    262B553D-0EBA-4CD2-A2E4-BA6464356AF4.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DEF35BB0-3015-4A16-95D8-6B99E302C8E2.jpeg
    DEF35BB0-3015-4A16-95D8-6B99E302C8E2.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 3D06D274-8628-4B80-9E57-9CC0A3B9AD66.jpeg
    3D06D274-8628-4B80-9E57-9CC0A3B9AD66.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 41

Evo R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you received the results. Now you have a clearer understanding of what is going on.

Clearly your chlorine is at toxic levels for sure.

So now you have two options:

Firstly dramatically upgrade your RODI setup to a larger 5 or even 6 stage unit, but then you are still not guaranteed your chlorine levels will be in the safe zone.
Secondly keep your RODI setup as is, make enough RO water in advance, and then using good quality fresh water Chlorine and Chloramine test kits, test your fresh RO water and treat with de chlorine products eg: Seachem anti chlorine etc. until your RO water tests safe for chlorine, and then only mix your saltwater for water changes ect.
Thirdly you can go both routes to be even saver and or see which one is financially more viable in the long run.

Personally i would shut down your main tank and restart it with water made safe as mentioned above. Just to be sure that you have the best chance of keeping livestock successfully knowing your tap water is crazy high in chlorine.

PS. i see you do have some elevated levels of heavy metals as was my first assumption, but clearly its the chlorine that's the cause of all your problems.

Hope this helps.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What RODI unit are you using?

Do you have a copy of your local tap water quality report? Could that test be picking up chloramine?

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What removes chlorine is the carbon block. So replace that, or add another carbon block.
Was the qt water made with the same RO unit?

OP
OP
Marco Vasquez

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you received the results. Now you have a clearer understanding of what is going on.

Clearly your chlorine is at toxic levels for sure.

So now you have two options:

Firstly dramatically upgrade your RODI setup to a larger 5 or even 6 stage unit, but then you are still not guaranteed your chlorine levels will be in the safe zone.
Secondly keep your RODI setup as is, make enough RO water in advance, and then using good quality fresh water Chlorine and Chloramine test kits, test your fresh RO water and treat with de chlorine products eg: Seachem anti chlorine etc. until your RO water tests safe for chlorine, and then only mix your saltwater for water changes ect.
Thirdly you can go both routes to be even saver and or see which one is financially more viable in the long run.

Personally i would shut down your main tank and restart it with water made safe as mentioned above. Just to be sure that you have the best chance of keeping livestock successfully knowing your tap water is crazy high in chlorine.

PS. i see you do have some elevated levels of heavy metals as was my first assumption, but clearly its the chlorine that's the cause of all your problems.

Hope this helps.
I don’t have any livestock in that tank. I had one clown and purchased mixed saltwater. I’m changing out the water entirely and starting new. I’m waiting on test results from rodi and tap before upgrading my rodi, but most likely will get the 6stage from bulk reef supply. I appreciate the input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back