Water salinity

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to ask a question about water salinity... and I’m kind of afraid to ask. Because I think I know what you guys are gonna say and if I’m right... it means I need to break ties with the guy I have been working with... my LSF guy.

I know most of you probably make your own water. I don’t. At least, not yet. The water I have been buying... the salinity has been dropping. The water he just delivered is 1.022. Should I keep buying it? It feels like I shouldn’t.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day from Australia! I believe some fish shops keep a low salinity like that just for fish only for some control reason but that is to low for a reef tank cheers

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Too low. Store is likely running Hyposalinity ( low salt) for disease prevention and should know better than to sell you seawater that needs added salt.
1.025 is good

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to ask a question about water salinity... and I’m kind of afraid to ask. Because I think I know what you guys are gonna say and if I’m right... it means I need to break ties with the guy I have been working with... my LSF guy.

I know most of you probably make your own water. I don’t. At least, not yet. The water I have been buying... the salinity has been dropping. The water he just delivered is 1.022. Should I keep buying it? It feels like I shouldn’t.
I’d start by asking if the LFS knows it’s selling 1.022 and if so why.

As others have mentioned some LFS run hyposalinity because it reduces the risk of disease. Honestly, I’m not sure if it’s bad for the fish, and if you’re going to run as a “fish only” tank then 1.022 might be okay. If you plan to have any coral etc then you need to raise it to 1.025 range.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low. Store is likely running Hyposalinity ( low salt) for disease prevention and should know better than to sell you seawater that needs added salt.
1.025 is good
I think it may be time for me to learn how to do my own water..

but, wait... are you saying I can add salt to it? How long would I have to wait after adding salt before I can use it for a water change?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think it may be time for me to learn how to do my own water..

but, wait... are you saying I can add salt to it? How long would I have to wait after adding salt before I can use it for a water change?
Add a 1/2 measuring cup of salt and see what the new salinity is - should be 1.024-1.025. if one 1/2 cup isn't enough, add another 1/2 cup and see what it is. Once you reach salinity, you will know how much sea mix is required to reach desired salinity level

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start by asking if the LFS knows it’s selling 1.022 and if so why.

As others have mentioned some LFS run hyposalinity because it reduces the risk of disease. Honestly, I’m not sure if it’s bad for the fish, and if you’re going to run as a “fish only” tank then 1.022 might be okay. If you plan to have any coral etc then you need to raise it to 1.025 range.
My tank is a mixed reef... he sold me most of my livestock. ...he knows it should be 1.025...

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a 1/2 measuring cup of salt and see what the new salinity is - should be 1.024-1.025. if one 1/2 cup isn't enough, add another 1/2 cup and see what it is. Once you reach salinity, you will know how much sea mix is required to reach desired salinity level
I will do that tomorrow! It’s either that or throw out 50 gallons of water (I have a 55 gallon drum with a pump and a long hose)

you rock! Thank you!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First what did you use to check the salinity, second find out from them to see if they are honest. Third, for corals, you need at least 1.023.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First what did you use to check the salinity, second find out from them to see if they are honest. Third, for corals, you need at least 1.023.
I used what is in the pic... when I saw how low my salinity was after a water change, I kinna freaked out a little... so, I tested what was in the barrel... it was 1.022. I had trouble believing it, so went to a different store to calibrate it. I came home and his water was 1.022...

ABB8E212-1FEA-4655-BB26-DC7B8472D0D5.jpeg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do that tomorrow! It’s either that or throw out 50 gallons of water (I have a 55 gallon drum with a pump and a long hose)

you rock! Thank you!
If it’s 55G you may end up adding a few cups of salt. But as @vetteguy53081 said just add 1/2 cup at a time.

In the future I’d either try to use the same salt that the LFS is using or else as you‘re already seeing it’s better to make your own RODI so you have complete control over the saltwater going into your tank. I’ve heard stories of LFS making changes to their water or having other issues that end up in customer tanks.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back