Water testing

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best type of water tester. I understand the one with the drops is junk and there are better ways to do it.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer to test my salt. I need a good tester for everything else. I have heard the drops in the test tubes is a joke and that there are better testers that should be used.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Hemmdog. The drop ones are pretty much the best you can get in the hobby. Hanna makes some much easier to use digital checkers. But only a few are useful IME. The key is with the drop ones is to find where you stand and try to either keep stable or improve over time. Use it as a starting point.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have API reef master test kit and was told they are junk.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again.

Thanks for move out of the Emergency thread section. You don't have an emergency if you started getting green algae growth on glass, first time in a year, after adding a light.

I will agree with above posts. Salifert kits are best for good accuracy and easy to use. Price too.

For Alkalinity, Calcium, Nitrate. (Basic starter kits)

For Phosphates Hanna is the best, and just so you know there are a few versions.

However before you run out and buy any, let's see you tank again, and a better closeup of what you have in it (ie Corals).

And first thing you need to buy is a glass cleaner.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again.

Thanks for move out of the Emergency thread section. You don't have an emergency if you started getting green algae growth on glass, first time in a year, after adding a light.

I will agree with above posts. Salifert kits are best for good accuracy and easy to use. Price too.

For Phosphates Hanna is the best, and just so you know there are a few versions.

However before you run out and buy any, let's see you tank again, and a better closeup of what you have in it (ie Corals).
Hey I will post a better picture tomorrow its 2 am here and lights are off so you cant see much

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just to get others up to speed, you mentioned you have been changing 50% water changes, every week (on your 75 gallon tank)

Too much. Not needed.
Yes I have been changing 50% once a week, I thought it was the best way to avoid any problems. I have heard when in doubt change it out . Lol... I have been doing it ever since I got the tank

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again.

And first thing you need to buy is a glass cleaner.
I do have a glass cleaner just wasn't sure that was normal to have on your tank but you helped clear that up

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all your help I will post a picture on this thread tomorrow. I need to sleep its 2am but thank you again. You all have been awesome and I am going to be a regular here I am sure.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have API reef master test kit and was told they are junk.
It's late. WE'll catch up tomorrow if you want.

There are better and worse test kits. I actually use API for Copper and Ammonia (Work good)
I not familiar with other API kits.

THE ONLY JUNK test kit is a (EXPIRED TEST KIT) or (a Contaminated Test Kit).

However, post your picture tomorrow, and then we'll discuss what your goals are.

So in your API kit you have Calcium, Alk, Phosphat and Nitrate. GOOD START. (Useful if not expired)
YOu may not need super accuracy, so for now they will be good for learning the basics on your simple tank.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's late. WE'll catch up tomorrow if you want.

There are better and worse test kits. I actually use API for Copper and Ammonia (Work good)
I not familiar with other API kits.

Awesome thanks Wally you have been a great help. I will post a picture tomorrow. Just keep in mind I am a beginner. Thanks for all your help

THE ONLY JUNK test kit is a (EXPIRED TEST KIT) or (a Contaminated Test Kit).

However, post your picture tomorrow, and then we'll discuss what your goals are.

So in your API kit you have Calcium, Alk, Phosphat and Nitrate. GOOD START. (Useful if not expired)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks Wally you have been a great help. I will post a picture tomorrow. Just keep in mind I am a beginner. Thanks for all your help
Being a beginner means you have so much to look foward to learn.
I've been doing this for over 20 years, and still learning.

YOu might want to read a thread I put together with all the mistakes/accidents I did/had, so you can avoid some.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/90-gallon-mixed-lps-tank-15-year-journey-to-★success★-every-accident-disaster-problem.326397/

I will help you with your tank (where I can), and I'm sure others will too.

WECOME TO REEF2REEF!!

Last edited:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for all your help I will post a picture on this thread tomorrow. I need to sleep its 2am but thank you again. You all have been awesome and I am going to be a regular here I am sure.
I see. So you’re worried about algae. Algae is common in reef tanks and I clean my glass almost everyday. There’ll be algae on rocks. All of that is fine and normal. I would scale back your water changes. Also, certain algae might benefit from frequent water changes.
If you can’t grow algae, you can’t grow corals

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. So you’re worried about algae. Algae is common in reef tanks and I clean my glass almost everyday. There’ll be algae on rocks. All of that is fine and normal. I would scale back your water changes. Also, certain algae might benefit from frequent water changes.
If you can’t grow algae, you can’t grow corals
Very Good Point @ScottR

Someone posted this on the Original Thread in Emergency Forum section (that you @Mrman2000 ended).

As noted 50% water change weekly is a bit much. I dont see, however, anyone asking about his water source. Are you using RODI? Anything less can contribute to excess algae. Also, Vibrant worked wonders on my film algae so it should be considered in this situation, I think.

My philosophy (learned from Experience, and making mistakes in past) is let your tank natually age as you have.
The worse thing you can do is start adding unecessary additives (which fix one problem and cause 2-3 more, if not managed or used properly)

You currently don't have a problem, and as much as a Algae Bloom (eg Green Hair Algae) can become a problem, you are not yet in that situation. So no need of Vibrant. It may have benefits for some situations, but why kill something that is under control and good for your tank.

Here is a link to a thread with People using Vibrant (for big problems) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

If you want to see and Algae Bloom (PROBLEM), this was one of my Tank a few years ago.

2020-03-09_Algae-Additives.jpg

How did above nightmare happen? It happened becuase my Corals were pale and lacking nutrients (for exactly 1 year, new tank like yours), so I started adding Coral Food (for a few weeks). Corals then got nice a colorful, so I add more food, and more and then KABOOM (algae Bloom)

That was a problem worth doing something about. (I removed rocks, cleaned them and put back).
I would never have used Vibrant to treat since the Algae Dying would have cause a big Waste problem in my tank. Probably lead to other bigger problems.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have three Hd primes on my 75 gallon tank and I seem to be getting a green film on the tank glass. I change water once a week about 50% and I am very regular at doing it. My tank isn't near any windows and I have all three lights( Picture of tank below). Uv90, Vio90, Db100, Blue100, Green4, Red4, Cool white18. Can anyone help me with any suggestions?

15857149539083457884408363656002.jpg
Yes I have been changing 50% once a week, I thought it was the best way to avoid any problems. I have heard when in doubt change it out . Lol... I have been doing it ever since I got the tank
Hey @Mrman2000 ,

I've been scratching my head since last time.

Can you confirm one thing.

Are you actually changing 50% of your 75 Gallon Tank (every week)?

That would mean you are making approx 30 Gallons of New Salt Water Every Week. Removing 30 Gallons from your system, and putting back 30 Gallon of new water.

A bucket of salt approx 120 Gallon version, would last you a month since what you said means, you change 4x30Gal =120Gallon a month.

That doesn't sound right. If true, where did you get that Idea?

Maybe you mean you did that only last couple of weeks, not all year. Correct?

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a man at a pet store the more you change the better.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back