OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's late. WE'll catch up tomorrow if you want.

There are better and worse test kits. I actually use API for Copper and Ammonia (Work good)
I not familiar with other API kits.

THE ONLY JUNK test kit is a (EXPIRED TEST KIT) or (a Contaminated Test Kit).

However, post your picture tomorrow, and then we'll discuss what your goals are.

So in your API kit you have Calcium, Alk, Phosphat and Nitrate. GOOD START. (Useful if not expired)
YOu may not need super accuracy, so for now they will be good for learning the basics on your simple tank.
Hey first time I had a chance to jump on for a minute and thought I would share the picture I promised

15858401150822194228519851117038.jpg 15858401459145720776678951154788.jpg 15858401716414059321048925081811.jpg 15858401954672447364097755560213.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think my tank looks that bad I was just concerned about the glass have green film on it everyday. I really thought originally before coming on here it was my light settings. I have learned from the help of many but especially Wally B that this isn't the case. I really still don't know if my light setting are right for my tank but things seem fine.

15858405559916369557686221004379.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he has a beautiful store and I thought the advice was sound because he even writes articles about Reef tanks. I am finding out that he may not know as much as I thought. I did get my light settings from him too...lol

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me guess. He is the one selling you Salt. Correct?

Stop going there if he is selling the salt to you.
Sounds like your right I need to stop dealing with him. I thought I was having to purchase a lot of salt

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your right I need to stop dealing with him. I thought I was having to purchase a lot of salt
Your Tank looks fine.
When adding more light, algae growth will lncrease.

Also (light setting) too much white LED light, and certainly too much RED will increase algae film.
You said you added another light. That will 100% make an impact.

If you need help with your new Light, you can post a thread in the Equipment Forum Section (just state your lights type, and people will give you their ideal settings). Or do a search on the Forum with your light manufacterer.

As far as Water changes.
Running a Tank by Changing water is one approach and the amount varies depending on # of fish, # and size of corals, etc. And filtration. General method is 20-25% per month. More agressive can be 20% per week. It can actually be 10% per month (and things will be fine)

Some people Never do water changes, but that's a complex/advanced thing.

So what kind of filtration do you have? A sump? A skimmer? etc etc

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he has a beautiful store and I thought the advice was sound because he even writes articles about Reef tanks. I am finding out that he may not know as much as I thought. I did get my light settings from him too...lol
Do you have a link to his articles. I just want to peek. I won't contact him.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Tank looks fine.
When adding more light, algae growth will lncrease.

Also (light setting) too much white LED light, and certainly too much RED will increase algae film.
You said you added another light. That will 100% make an impact.

If you need help with your new Light, you can post a thread in the Equipment Forum Section (just state your lights type, and people will give you their ideal settings). Or do a search on the Forum with your light manufacterer.

As far as Water changes.
Running a Tank by Changing water is one approach and the amount varies depending on # of fish, # and size of corals, etc. And filtration. General method is 20-25% per month. More agressive can be 20% per week. It can actually be 10% per month (and things will be fine)

Some people Never do water changes, but that's a complex/advanced thing.

So what kind of filtration do you have? A sump? A skimmer? etc etc
I have a skimmer and a sump, send you a picture so you can see it.

15858424873722312690563005800101.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a man at a pet store the more you change the better.

dos he/she sell you salt?

just kidding.

Ignore your pet store owner. That answer is either way too oversimplified or just plain bad advice. Do what you are doing now and ask questions on this forum. Yes, you'll get answers like the pet store owner, but the really good advice will surface. It's easy to identify the good ones as they usually contain an explanation of why.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well is 12pm here and time for me to start getting ready for work. I hope I can pop on after I am done, thanks for all the advice. I have been taking it all in and appreciate it.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The web site posts a much better answer than the pet store gave you

"I’ve listed the water change first because it’s the most straightforward technique and provides many additional benefits beyond exporting dissolved nutrients. You should be changing a minimum of 10 percent every week or 20 percent biweekly (more if testing shows that nitrate, and/or phosphate is exceeding the acceptable level), siphoning out as much accumulated particulate waste as possible in the process."

written by Jeff Kurtz - not the owner. The articles link to another site

Jeff Kurtz is the Co-founder/Editor of Saltwater Smarts, former Senior Consulting Editor for Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine, and the aquarist formerly known as “The Salt Creep.” He has been an aquarium hobbyist for over 30 years and is an avid scuba diver.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't but his website is sustainablemarinecanada.com I think he has them there.
Seems like a good store. Maybe some kind of misunderstanding.
Let's move on.

There is nothing critical in your tank. Actually nothing wrong at all, except wasting money and time on 50% water changes weekly.

For now scale back to 10%-15% weekly, 20% if you really want. and see how things go.
It's best not to make drastic changes. Tank stability it very important. Extremly important for SPS corals, but I think you just have softies, so they are very forgiving.

We will get into water testing (since you have the kit) to ensure your ALK (which is most important Parameter) is kept up to Spec and stable.

Last edited:

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I just notice this in one of your photos.

2020-04-02_PufferFish.jpg

To me that looks like a puffer fish. (Dog Face species)

Cool. I always wanted to have a puffer fish....but I can't...(I have corals)

Have you had him for a long time?
They have Big Strong Teeth. (Has he ever bitten you)
They are usually not safe for reef and will eat ALL corals (yet you have LPS corals and still there)

Big fish too.
https://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/puffers/dogface.php

I don't know much about them, but that link above says they eat a lot. Are messy and need frequenty water changes. So maybe that's why it was recommened to do you large water change.

datahog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have API reef master test kit and was told they are junk.
Depends on the test,I used them to cycle my tank...also high PH one works real well..
A lot of people have a hard time with the color chart reading them...Helpful hint down load a free program called aquarium note,from apple or android and windows pc ..it is great to keep track of all your stuff,but best of all it has a tool for showing the closest color match...Hope this helps good luck..

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have API reef master test kit and was told they are junk.

Yeah, some people say that. Most API tests are a bit crude. For example, the ALK test measures only in units of 1 DKH. The more sophisticated tests measure ALK in .1 DKH units.

Bulk Reef Supply has a series of videos looking at one parameter at a time, like Ca, and. examining the merits of various test kits. They are well done. They give you an idea of how each test is performed and its strengths and weaknesses. Salifert often rates well in terms of quality for low expense.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I just notice this in one of your photos.

2020-04-02_PufferFish.jpg

To me that looks like a puffer fish. (Dog Face species)

Cool. I always wanted to have a puffer fish....but I can't...(I have corals)

Have you had him for a long time?
They have Big Strong Teeth. (Has he ever bitten you)
They are usually not safe for reef and will eat ALL corals (yet you have LPS corals and still there)

Big fish too.
https://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/puffers/dogface.php

I don't know much about them, but that link above says they eat a lot. Are messy and need frequenty water changes. So maybe that's why it was recommened to do you large water change.
Wally he is awesome and never eats the coral I have had him for about a year. He allows me to pet him and will bite at my mushrooms when he gets mad at me if I forget to feed him.....lol

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use the test kit on Saturday before I do my water change and see what the results are. Then once I have completed a %20 water change I will test it again.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%

Back