Water testing

apexreefer203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’m going a little crazy. Up until this past Sunday I’ve been using a Hanna alk checker. I decided Sunday that I would buy a trident. Set it up and the next morning I get a bad alk range reading. I call Neptune and discuss with one of their technicians. He says to run three manual tests for alk ca mg. So I do then he says to calibrate the trident. He also instructed me to check the calibration solution with my Hanna to see what the differences are. The trident read the calibration solution with complete accuracy. When I check the calibration solution with my Hanna it reads 5 dkh less that it’s supposed to. After calibration I put the trident sample tube back in the tank. At midnight it takes a reading again with the bad alk range reading. I use coral pro salt which mixes at 11 dkh. I check my ro water with the Hanna and get a reading of 0.0dkh. So now I’m unsure what to do. Some corals look great others look like ****. What should be my next recourse of action. Which tester do I trust and how do I get my trident to give me an alk reading other than 0?

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a fresh batch of water+ RSCP and test that with both.
Also you could go and buy a Alk test kit .

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait - did you calibrate the Trident by using Trident’s calibration solution and inputted into the Trident the calibration numbers from the calibration solution? That would explain why Trident showed perfect Alk reading.

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is telling you what you need to know

“ When I check the calibration solution with my Hanna it reads 5 dkh less that it’s supposed to.”

Replace the battery in your Hanna and mix a fresh batch of Coral Pro Salt. Test fresh saltwater and see if Hanna shows 11dKH.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back