Water testing

Fish/man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

My tank been up and running for 5 mouths. I have had trouble with the phosphate and alkalinity since 21/06 alkalinity was at 12.5 DKH phosphate was at 0.1 I was doing 25% water changes everyday with the salt salinity between 1.024/1.020

On the 1/7/2021
Phosphate was at 0.06 after adding
ROWA phos to the filter to help bring it down.
The alkalinity dropped down to 10.0 but that was after adding some white vinegar. Since the 1st of July I have not done a water change.

Did a water tests this morning 3rd july
Calcium at 490
Alkalinity bk up to 12.8
Phosphate still at 0.03
Magnesium at 1410
Ammonia at 0ppm
Nitrite at 0ppm
Nitrate at 0ppm
Ph at 7.8
Salinity at 1.022
Sailt I'm using is instant ocean
Test kits I'm using are Salifert.

What would be my best option to bring everything down to what it should be.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish and corals do you have? How did you set up your ssytem? To be honest if anything some of your nitrates and phophate is on the low side IMO. I feel water changes are essential but 25% daily is way too much, I only do around ~10% - ~30% monthly depending on size and stocking levels. Also, with such large frequent water changes your alkalinity is likely to be high.

It seems to me you're focused just on a set of numbers for water parameters. Keep in mind nitrogen and phosphorus include particulate, organic and inorganic forms of which we can only test for the inorganic forms, so there's always an element of quesswork when looking at nutrients. Reef ecosystems are very complex with a lot of microbial stuff promoting one group of organisms over another AND types of organisms promoting differnt types of microbial stuff. An excellent introduction to how these processes work is Forest ROhwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas", kindle is ~$10, paperback ~$16.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some readings are low and some are elevated. You are doing what some call " Chasing numbers" and it is important you aim for ranges rather than targets and KEEP THEM STABLE.
Although Salifert are good kits, I am concerned on your zero readings for ammonia-nitrate. High Phos tells me there is something about the water. Are you using RODI water or tap water from your faucet? IF RODI, do you know what your TDS reading is?
ROWAPHOS has a high content of ferrous oxide (GFO) which is very strong stuff and can alter the chemistry in a hurry. I would revert to Chemipure blue which provides a little coverage and reduces any toxins present. The value ranges you want are :
Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .5
phos < .04
Ammonia < .03
mG 1300
Alk 8-10
CA 440

OP
OP
F

Fish/man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank by buying sailt water from the shop left it running with live rock in before adding fish we got the water tested and was given the go ahead around 5 weeks after.
Sailfin 2 clowns 4 hermit and 1 six line wrasse
I have been just trying to get the numbers down, last mouth the coral was very unhappy none of them would come out alot happier now will see if I can get some photos, I am new to marine and trying to do everything I should be doing.

I do use my own ro system so TDS is at o.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish/man Welcome to a very addicting hobby! In addition to Rohwer's book here's some videos you may find informative. The first one is by Rohwer and covers much of the material in his book but there's stuff in his book it doesn't cover and he includes some newer research in his video so the two really compliment each other.

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new thinking I have heard is -- nothing should be -0-. Nitrites & Ammonia are the exceptions.
Nitrates 10 or under, Magnesium 1250 -1350, Calcium 400-450,
Salinity 1.025 & Alk 8-10.
A water change of 25% monthly split by however you like, but weekly is best.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my tank by buying sailt water from the shop left it running with live rock in before adding fish we got the water tested and was given the go ahead around 5 weeks after.
Sailfin 2 clowns 4 hermit and 1 six line wrasse
I have been just trying to get the numbers down, last mouth the coral was very unhappy none of them would come out alot happier now will see if I can get some photos, I am new to marine and trying to do everything I should be doing.

I do use my own ro system so TDS is at o.
Maybe your water is good but your tests are off….
Unless your using a Hanna Alk checker and Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker, your readings are not so accurate to begin with.

I would just do water changes weekly of 10% and let that system mature on its own for a few more months.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

My tank been up and running for 5 mouths. I have had trouble with the phosphate and alkalinity since 21/06 alkalinity was at 12.5 DKH phosphate was at 0.1 I was doing 25% water changes everyday with the salt salinity between 1.024/1.020

On the 1/7/2021
Phosphate was at 0.06 after adding
ROWA phos to the filter to help bring it down.
The alkalinity dropped down to 10.0 but that was after adding some white vinegar. Since the 1st of July I have not done a water change.

Did a water tests this morning 3rd july
Calcium at 490
Alkalinity bk up to 12.8
Phosphate still at 0.03
Magnesium at 1410
Ammonia at 0ppm
Nitrite at 0ppm
Nitrate at 0ppm
Ph at 7.8
Salinity at 1.022
Sailt I'm using is instant ocean
Test kits I'm using are Salifert.

What would be my best option to bring everything down to what it should be.
IMO:
Salinity up to 1.026 (start with water changes one a week… 10%)
ALK down to 8-8.5
Nitrate ~ .5
PH low 8-8.3

Everything else looks good. Changing your parameters should be influenced on what you plan to stock in your system, and should be dialed in for a few weeks. Be consistent with making adjustments, and keep in mind that your system will appreciate consistency. Don’t just all of a sudden do water changes 2-3 times a week bc youre bored. Make a schedule, stick to it, and see what effect it has on your system and adjust from there. Don’t drop or raise your parameters all in one shot, and take a week or two to slowly bring them to your deisred levels.

OP
OP
F

Fish/man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your help will give the videos a watch.

I'm never board enough to just do a water change all ways on the go. I got told by the shop to do water changes everyday that's what I done and all coral looking better. So will just keep topping it up for know and stick to 25% water change every mouth.

Only reason I been doing the water changes to try and get the alk down too 8.5. So will leave it a mouth and just keep testing but seems to keep going up not down.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will say different as per your parameters but it is commonly excepted that nitrate should not be 0. I think that is one of your main problem. For LPS and soft corals you need that figure up to at least 5ppm SPS need lower but not 0 for sure. 0 nitrate invites Dinos.

Elevated ALK should be OK and once you have something to use it you will see it going down

I wouldn’t bother with measurements of ammonia in a 5 months old tank unless you love to do it ;)

your PH is on the low end.

as per what you were doing with water changes is too fast too. 25% daily is way too much. My LPS would be not happy for sure.

corals love stability and every change shocks them and this is my experience too. Alk and magnesium swings sets my LPS back for days in my tank and I had to learn that these parameters has to be changed slowly by 0.1 steps max a day. This means that the water changes has to match the alk and magnesium levels of your tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back