Water top off question

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the water level was about half way down the window on my biocube 32 return pump compartment. I don't have any reserve RO water right now , and lfs is about hr drive . Can I use distilled water to add or not . My salinity is currently 1.025

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's totally fine for a top off. It's mineral-free, clean water.

There's really nothing wrong with running a tank on distilled water, but it normally runs more expensive than buying RO water or just having your own RODI unit.

Just curious, how much RO are you buying and what does LFS sell it for? Only asking because I did a cost breakdown of RODI vs buying from LFS last night and was surprised how much just having a RODI unit can save you.

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's really nothing wrong with running a tank on distilled water, but it normally runs more expensive than buying RO water or just having your own RODI unit.

Just curious, how much RO are you buying and what does LFS sell it for? Only asking because I did a cost breakdown of RODI vs buying from LFS last night and was surprised how much just having a RODI unit can save you.

Definitely agree with getting a RODI unit! One of the best purchases!

AdamD76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was buying 20 g at a time , last time was pre mixed salt water for my big water change ..used about 12 . They charge 1.50 per g for mix or .75 for rode
I'm definitely looking at a rodi filter set up to avoid the travel .

OP
OP
Oldsman

Oldsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i used when i had my biocube 32.
If you keep the cover on then evap will not be that bad. I took the cover off and was topping off every other day until i got an auto top off unit.
This:
Thanks ! I'm definitely looking at these systems

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was buying 20 g at a time , last time was pre mixed salt water for my big water change ..used about 12 . They charge 1.50 per g for mix or .75 for rode
I'm definitely looking at a rodi filter set up to avoid the travel .
This was a quick breakdown for buying 40 gallons of RODI per month vs making it on your own. Since you're at $0.75/gallon, your annual cost at 40g/mo would be $360 per year. In this scenario, that same amount of RODI with your own unit will cost you $70 upfront with an $85 annual maintenance starting 5 months after the initial purchase. Would really save you a bunch.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 11.46.08 PM.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back