Water wafers: Do you ever feed fish food flakes in your reef tank?

Do you ever feed fish food flakes in your reef tank?

• Yes, my fish love it.

Votes: 250 44.8%
  • Yes, but only on a rare occasion.

Votes: 88 15.8%
  • Meh.

Votes: 74 13.3%
  • No, it’s a problem waiting to happen.

Votes: 51 9.1%
  • No, it’s for freshwater only.

Votes: 71 12.7%
  • Other

Votes: 24 4.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Many reef keepers feed their tank with live foods, frozen foods, pellets, and other types of feed. However there seems to be a common thought that flake food is for freshwater tanks only. Do you ever feed flake food to your reef tank? Is there a place for flakes in saltwater tanks? If you do use flake food, when and how do you include flakes into your feeding program. If you don’t feed flakes, please tell us why not. Maybe there is a place for flake food in saltwater aquariums and maybe there isn’t – let’s talk about it!

JumboShrimp_FlakeFood.jpeg

Photo by @JumboShrimp

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I force myself to include Ocean Nutrition Formula Two flakes (soaked in Selcon) a couple of times a week only because I feel like my tailspot blenny is probably on too meaty of a diet otherwise.
*clown and blenny love it but Bangaii/pajama cardinals won't touch it so I don't feed it daily

Reef Altitude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many reef keepers feed their tank with live foods, frozen foods, pellets, and other types of feed. However there seems to be a common thought that flake food is for freshwater tanks only. Do you ever feed flake food to your reef tank? Is there a place for flakes in saltwater tanks? If you do use flake food, when and how do you include flakes into your feeding program. If you don’t feed flakes, please tell us why not. Maybe there is a place for flake food in saltwater aquariums and maybe there isn’t – let’s talk about it!

JumboShrimp_FlakeFood.jpeg

Photo by @JumboShrimp
That and the cool mysis iswhat we feed for flakes, and hikari for pellets in the auto feeder.

The biggest problem is they float so I usually do them by hand. The best thing is the fish can tear them apart so even the little guys can go for it!

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mix in flake when I feed frozen, I do have a smaller pico tank that I feed flake in the morning and frozen at night just because it isn't established as much

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flakes and pellets are enjoyed by my fish and are regarded as a supplement to their diet fed through my AFS feeder. They get 1-2 frozen meals daily. Fish like my Harlequin tusk will not bother with dry food- same with cardinal. My copperband relishes dry food now

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question I must say and even stranger responses. Of dry foods I only feed flakes. They are much less polluting than pellets just because they don't sink to the bottom - but are moved around by flow. Fish like chasing flakes too.

JBL Spirulina are one of the least polluting flakes in my experience and they are liked by all fish alike (both of my wrasse eat them).

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool mysid and cool green here 3 times a week with frozen on tues and thurs (squid, spirulina brine and rods)

My fish love the aquanix brands

maroon clown
percula clown
3 bar squirrel
gold head goby
coral beauty
bi color blenny

all eat the flake;-)

triggerBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, on occasion. Usually when I'm too lazy to walk to the freezer. Lol
But they do seem to like them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back