Water was low and didnt have any in reservoir tank, now few corals not looking good?!?! Advice?

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday night my water went dry, return nozzles were blowing bubbles so I unplugged it and turned my mp40 to a higher flow. I couldn't get water til the following Tuesday. I have 2 corals that looked amazing and since this happened they are looking bad. Tank 5 months and the corals are a torch and blasto. Any advice appreciated in advance

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess here is that if you didn't pull a heater from the sump to the display while you were waiting to top off your tank. The tank temp will adjust to ambient temperature. So if you have big swings there, then you will have the same in tank over the 2 days. I would just watch the corals and let them get happy again.

If you don't have an ro/di unit. My recommendation is to buy one. The days of lugging 5 gallon jugs to lfs will be over and we'll worth the cash.

If you do have one. My recommendation is to always have spare filters/media on hand to change out when needed

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcgallagherc

mcgallagherc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first guess here is that if you didn't pull a heater from the sump to the display while you were waiting to top off your tank. The tank temp will adjust to ambient temperature. So if you have big swings there, then you will have the same in tank over the 2 days. I would just watch the corals and let them get happy again.

If you don't have an ro/di unit. My recommendation is to buy one. The days of lugging 5 gallon jugs to lfs will be over and we'll worth the cash.

If you do have one. My recommendation is to always have spare filters/media on hand to change out when needed
You're point on, I left heater in the sump. Had a RODI unit put in yesterday. Days of chasing down water has come to an end.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back