money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far, been looking for something to put my waterbox 10 on to raise it up some more for a while now. Just have it on one of those Lack tables now but its quite low in comparison to my desk. Is that stand pretty sturdy once you added the mod? Doesn't seem to wobble or anything?

It’s a bathroom sink stand, let me see if I can find it on their site

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lillangen-sink-cabinet-with-1-door-white-40205151/ Looks like this is the one

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far, been looking for something to put my waterbox 10 on to raise it up some more for a while now. Just have it on one of those Lack tables now but its quite low in comparison to my desk. Is that stand pretty sturdy once you added the mod? Doesn't seem to wobble or anything?

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lillangen-sink-cabinet-with-1-door-white-40205151/ Looks like this is the one

Yea it’s that one and sadly I have it on carpet in the upstairs room and it does tend to wobble some. Was thinking bout anchoring it to the wall but there’s a ledge by the Window seal that won’t allow me to. I I’ll have to think of another way

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini update, fish are doing great eating pellets and also the other day while surfing the web I came across a local reefer who had some frags for sale . I ended up purchasing some small frogspawn and hammer. Something hardy and easy to get the whole coral collection going. Frag Donations welcome as well haha.

292050C3-4E38-4DEC-88A6-FCCF3011DE04.jpeg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! Most expensive part is the sand which I don’t have. I won’t count the ai prime 16hd since I’m upgrading the nuvo 20 light to a hydra 32. Really going to push the effort for some quality looking sticks.

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! Most expensive part is the sand which I don’t have. I won’t count the ai prime 16hd since I’m upgrading the nuvo 20 light to a hydra 32. Really going to push the effort for some quality looking sticks.

Honestly it’s not that expensive I paid like what, $20ish for 10lbs Of live sand and that’s more than enough for a 10g. For me the most expensive part so far has been the light.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, awesome looking tank! :)

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter everybody, here’s a small little update on what’s going on in the WaterBox 10g as of today.

Yesterday was water change day so I did about a 20% water change on the tank, after it was all done the hammer and frog spawn loved it as they were huge and extended out more than usual ! Sadly I couldn’t get a good picture of them in action. Soon after I met up with another local reefer from which I picked up some Zoa frags off of, nothing too exciting but surely will be something nice to look at in the mean time.

(Utter chaos/BloodSuckers/God of war/Circus/Avocado)
321DEAC8-0E9A-4C07-A2E1-11759AABC3D4.jpeg

Ontop of that I did notice a small diatom bloom happening as parts of my rock,sand Bed, and glass started getting that brown color on them. Not really worried about it, I’m just going to ride out Unless it starts to get out of hand. Also debating on what CUC to put in this 10g tank still as it’s almost time to bring some onboard.

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update for today, I decided to ditch the stock filter sock the waterbox came with and upgrade to a media basket. But instead of going and ordering one I decided to try to make my own since time is what I got a lot of right now. Took measurements cut plexiglass glued it with crazy glue and let it sit to dry for about 30 mins. Came back to test fit to only find out that it was about 1-2mm too wide. So pretty much I had to go take one side off shave it down about 1-2mm glue it back wait and try again. I made the center shelf removable as well for future if needed. While I was letting glue dry I went ahead and ordered some purigen and some polyester filter media. Not sure what to run in 3rd part in media basket so will stay empty for now. I Was also thinking about plastidiping it black to cover up the finger prints left by the glue, as I’ve read that once the dip dries it’s pretty much non toxic plastic. Instead I decided to just leave it alone and not put what I have in my tank at risk since no one is really gonna see it once it’s in the tank. Added media today, removed the brackets inside first chamber to allow the media basket to slide in, glad to say it fit.. bit snug but it’s in !

5DC12DC9-ABAE-4075-A6BC-D080F5E83466.jpeg

91B5C5EB-7C10-407D-842E-52BDAED3DA43.jpeg

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick little update for today, I decided to ditch the stock filter sock the waterbox came with and upgrade to a media basket. But instead of going and ordering one I decided to try to make my own since time is what I got a lot of right now. Took measurements cut plexiglass glued it with crazy glue and let it sit to dry for about 30 mins. Came back to test fit to only find out that it was about 1-2mm too wide. So pretty much I had to go take one side off shave it down about 1-2mm glue it back wait and try again. I made the center shelf removable as well for future if needed. While I was letting glue dry I went ahead and ordered some purigen and some polyester filter media. Not sure what to run in 3rd part in media basket so will stay empty for now. I Was also thinking about plastidiping it black to cover up the finger prints left by the glue, as I’ve read that once the dip dries it’s pretty much non toxic plastic. Instead I decided to just leave it alone and not put what I have in my tank at risk since no one is really gonna see it once it’s in the tank. Added media today, removed the brackets inside first chamber to allow the media basket to slide in, glad to say it fit.. bit snug but it’s in !

5DC12DC9-ABAE-4075-A6BC-D080F5E83466.jpeg

91B5C5EB-7C10-407D-842E-52BDAED3DA43.jpeg
This might ignite a debate but dude...I don't think you should run any media other than filter floss in your tank this early. Maybe a small amount of activated charcoal in case toxins get released by dying bacteria. DON'T GFO. I say this because your nitrates and phosphate levels should be allowed to climb and be steady at 5-15 nitrates and 0.04-0.15 phosphate. If your young tank runs too clean, you're going to allow something nightmarish to take over the tank such as dinos or Cyano, which will cause coral death. Dying dinos can also kill your fish.

I've learned this the hard way. I've been battling dinos for months and just got control.

The way in which the microbiome battles it out over the first several months is quite amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might ignite a debate but dude...I don't think you should run any media other than filter floss in your tank this early. Maybe a small amount of activated charcoal in case toxins get released by dying bacteria. DON'T GFO. I say this because your nitrates and phosphate levels should be allowed to climb and be steady at 5-15 nitrates and 0.04-0.15 phosphate. If your young tank runs too clean, you're going to allow something nightmarish to take over the tank such as dinos or Cyano, which will cause coral death. Dying dinos can also kill your fish.

I've learned this the hard way. I've been battling dinos for months and just got control.

The way in which the microbiome battles it out over the first several months is quite amazing.

Was also thinking the same but from what I’ve read people say to keep low nitrates(5-10ppm) and I tested today and had between 15-20ppm

hankacrank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also thinking the same but from what I’ve read people say to keep low nitrates(5-10ppm) and I tested today and had between 15-20ppm

15-20 is not too bad according to the most experienced reefers I've talked to around here. However, if you want to keep it around 10 that's understandable. Just make sure you carefully dose a small amount of charcoal. I used to just lazily throw the whole packet of media of whatever I was using and it starved out all of the nitrate. I needed to keep some charcoal in my tank to constantly capture toxins released by dying dinos during my outbreak. So I've learned to adjust the amount.

But for the love of god. No GFO unless you are having trouble keeping PO4 below 0.2. And even then, if you're using it, make sure you carefully add bit-by-bit dosing until things are stable. If your PO4 bottoms out, you're going to want to quit the hobby after what happens next. I was told this advice by @mfollen and I listened but didn't take it as dogma. He was right. I'm learning now. Probably one of the top 5 most important chemical things to know.

From what I understand, avoid bioballs in your media basket unless you have a pump directly hitting them or something that jostles them around so that they don't build up gunk.

OP
OP
sharkbait-uhaha

sharkbait-uhaha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while but I’m back, tank is doing good fish still alive (still only 2 clowns). The corals are growing but sadly some frags for whatever reason decided otherwise, they closed up and never opened back up. Water parameters were good so not sure what happened there. Fast forward little bit, Summer is here and was thinking bout making myself a little DIY water chiller for the tank using a peltier. Unfortunately all the water blocks are either copper, stainless steel, or aluminum so that was out of the question. I decided i was going to experiment and made a little acrylic water block which I then shaved down on one side very thin so the peltier would have better chances of cooling the water since acrylic isn’t a very conductive material. As time passed I got lazy and just decided to put that idea on the back burner and instead see how much a simple PC fan could cool down the tank when on. To my surprise it was more than enough so now the problem was that if I were to leave it on it would just evaporate water like crazy and would have to fill my ATO almost every other day. I saw some controllers online that both turned on and off the fan when it got to a set temp but were anywhere from 30-50 plus dollars, So what do we do ?That’s right, let’s DIY something up ! I went online ordered the parts and ended up making myself a temp controller for a lot less than those online. Yes it isn’t the prettiest or smallest but hey it does the job and works just as well ! it’s pretty simple to make, all you need is a small project box, outlets, power cord and the wiring diagram is either on the controller itself or on website from where you order it from. I didn’t read the post when purchasing the digital temp controller and accidentally got the one that reads out in Celsius and also had the metal tip temp probe. For the probe party all I did was grab some shrink tube heated it up around the probe and used a hot glue gun to close the ends so no water would get inside. I Have the controller set to 25.3c (77.5f) then have the fan turn on when temp hits 25.6c (78f) and heater when temp drops to 25 (77f). Like always will attach pictures .
A04A0B87-B908-4423-8269-81F3DD297A04.jpeg
6CD095F9-EEAF-4D83-B2A1-3E90353CB590.jpeg
E5147693-FEBA-4B28-927A-A614B9962384.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back