Waterbox 180 SPS/Mixed up and running after transfer, EU

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There,

Recently got a new tank, upgrading from a RS350 to a Waterbox180g. Roughly twice the amount of water which helped as some of my colonies had gotten quite big (not to mention some fish). New tank came in February and has been running for roughly 3.5 months now. About half the corals and rock are from the old tank. More fish, corals and rock added. No losses moving. So far so good, will see where we are in 6 months.

A couple of upgrades was done when going RS to Waterbox:

Went hybrid for lighting (Aqualife + 3 Hydra32 and 1 Hydra64). Going to switch to ATI straton flex later this year just to try it out
Completely switched from GHL to Apex (love it)
11 leak sensors (yes paranoid. Need two more around the Teco chiller). Pretty much all other sensors as well (except PAR (use Parwise). Multiple DOS, solenoid for ATO/kalk refill control. Fudge light. Like the Apex setup better than GHL honestly. But just my opinion. More interesting sensors (IMHO)
Started Kalk (continued All for Reef but slightly lower dose)
Bactobalance (keeps everything in check. I'm not a big believer in Nitrate so like 1-2ppm NO3 and 0.03-0.05 PO4. Need to feed heavy to keep ammonia somewhat present
Upgraded from RS skimmer to Nyos
Started a refugium
Properly measured everything PAR with Parwise (running 150-550 par)
A bit more flow (I mainly run Jebao and Neptune Wav). Likely need a bit more still so will get another WAV
Bought a bit more rock. Only real live rock perfectly cooked/cured this time
Don't run socks or roller mat. Water runs straight to refugium and skimmer section

Some things I learned in the last 6 months even after reefing for a long time. Just what I go by. All tanks are different:

Using ALK consumption as a measure for what works and what doesn't is fab. If Acropora growth is the goal that is.
Nitrate I don't really need. Lots of ammonia I do
Feeding SPS makes little sense if you have the fish/bio load
450 calcium is quite a lot better than 500 (for this tank)
1350+ Mag the same
If you dose too much kalk and thus have to reduce all for reef, trace elements will be lacking. Quickly seen in ALK consumption
Stable ALK much better than stable PH
High PH during photoperiod makes a big difference to acropora growth
Having a big tank with not enough fish is a real problem
T5 for a blanket of light really works well
It was cool to see coraline algae just take over from one day to the next. Unclear what the trigger was. But just exploded at the 1.5 month mark. Slowed down a bit since, but acro growth still excellent. Will see if I can find the connection here.

Problems faced:
Low nutrients. Really have to feed a lot. NYOS skimmer is effective. Very clear when PO4 gets too low
Had cyano once. No dinos
Bigger tank needs bigger ATO. Dosing kalk during lights on helps extend it though

Couple of pictures from tank today (sorry on phone):
IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

Mid february:
FA2BFFFD-A0B7-4FEC-9CC5-8CD67A5F9B00_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful reef, @Kato! Keep us updated!

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some losses and learned something interesting (to me at least. Perhaps obvious to others):

Back