Waterbox 20 - Advice needed on filter media

esatpil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I am about to start my very first nano reef aquarium using a Waterbox 20 cube (hoping for delivery soon) I purchased it with the AI Prime 16HD. I have also ordered the following equipment.

Tunze Nano Top Up 3152
Sicce 1.0 to replace the current pump
Aqua illuminations Nero 3
Tunze 9001 Nano Protein Skimmer (Not sure if this is needed but got one in anycase)

I will be using Carib Sea live sand, dry rock and Dr Tims One and Only to kickstart the cycling process.

Looking to keep a pair of clown fish, goby and some clean-up crew. In terms of corals, have a zoa garden and some soft corals (Not sure as yet, still need to research on what is easy and interesting for a newbie)

Do have a few questions on those who already own this tank in terms of the filtration set-up. I have read several threads and think everyone set-up is different but would really like to get some advice on what you running in the first 2 chambers. My plan is as follows:

Chamber 1 - replace the filter sock with a inTank Media Basket (if i can get a hold of one in the UK) with some filter pads/floss and Chemipure blue. If not just run the filter sock.
Chamber 2 - Sera Siporax, Seachem Purigen, Oase Heater, Tunze Skimmer (Chemipure blue if I cannot get hold of a Intank Media Basket)

Is the above enough in terms of filter media or am I over filtering. In addition, when cycling the tank, is there a need to run chemipure blue and the Tunze skimmer?

I have successfully run planted tanks but this is whole new ball game :)

Thanks and appreciate the advice.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer always helps for aeration.

At this time I'd just run those floss pads, Siporax, and let your skimmer run, but don't let it pull out DOC at this point.

When your cycle is complete:
Start pulling DOC with your skimmer (in its collection cup) and add your chemical media as need be.

More fond of running Purigen as a full-time chemical media over Chemipure's

JMO... :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back