Waterbox 25 peninsula! After 25 years of reefing..my first build thread

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a thread with some issues also, though I didn’t understand how it could be Happening from a chemistry perspective. I am targeting about 8.5 dkh. I am doing the math on AFR+Kalk to estimste how much alk I’m adding and monitoring my consumption periodically with daily tests and adjusting. It has been fairly predictable except a problem I was having with my float switches.

My top off plus the kalk was causing the water level to hit my high level float. The result was shutting down kalk, AFR, and top off until water evaporated below that level. This means I had days where I was not dosing the targeted amount making my Alk swing low. I didn’t realize this so I bumped up AFR making the Alk swing high. Even then the swings were 8.2-8.85. Not good enough but not a disaster.

I have adjusted my top off program so it doesn’t fight the kalk addition. I am still hopeful I can dial it in. Will report back. If I cannot I will switch to 2 part, which is the longer term plan anyway, just starting with the supplements I already have.
The 2 part route just seems easier to me. X amount of this raises Z this much... no guessing and no crazy swings. The dose just does its thing independent of the ATO or anything else. You DO need a doser you can trust though. I went through some dosers here that now sit on a shelf. I did some testing on the Kamoer X1 Pros and the new Red Sea dosers and both are accurate to the drop and hold calibration very well.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 part route just seems easier to me. X amount of this raises Z this much... no guessing and no crazy swings. The dose just does its thing independent of the ATO or anything else. You DO need a doser you can trust though. I went through some dosers here that now sit on a shelf. I did some testing on the Kamoer X1 Pros and the new Red Sea dosers and both are accurate to the drop and hold calibration very well.
I am feeling the same way about the complexity of this AFR and Kalk combo. I’ll probably finish my AFR and then go to 2 part. But it will take me well into next year to finish my AFR. I haven’t given up yet.

I do like how I am able to suppress the pH swing by tuning the kalk addition. I have been between 8.05 and 8.11 and I have that dialed in. The only time I have had that stability was a tank with a reverse lit refugium.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very clean build. Nicely done. can't wait to see your coral selection
Thank you! I am anxious to get coral but forcing myself to wait until I have the parameters stable. It’s motivation for me to do water tests, which I have been lazy about in the past. Trying to be better this time.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am feeling the same way about the complexity of this AFR and Kalk combo. I’ll probably finish my AFR and then go to 2 part. But it will take me well into next year to finish my AFR. I haven’t given up yet.

I do like how I am able to suppress the pH swing by tuning the kalk addition. I have been between 8.05 and 8.11 and I have that dialed in. The only time I have had that stability was a tank with a reverse lit refugium.
My pH ranges from 8.1-8.4. I use a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer and it keeps me above 8. The magic for me is that the way I have it now is "set it and forget it". The pH swing is minimal for me and I can set the dosers to dose many times a day to make the swings minimal.

Not saying what you're doing is bad, I just don't think it's for me.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH ranges from 8.1-8.4. I use a CO2 scrubber on the skimmer and it keeps me above 8. The magic for me is that the way I have it now is "set it and forget it". The pH swing is minimal for me and I can set the dosers to dose many times a day to make the swings minimal.

Not saying what you're doing is bad, I just don't think it's for me.
CO2 scrubber is the way to go! I’m not advocating anyone try my approach, I just hope it works and will share either way.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B5D2D27C-9B2B-4520-90F1-311B1BBE0954.jpeg

Still moving around but at least it’s happy

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B5D2D27C-9B2B-4520-90F1-311B1BBE0954.jpeg

Still moving around but at least it’s happy
At least it's small and you don't have a ton of coral in there. I have a rainbow bubble tip that was the size of your head that could stretch halfway across the tank. It finally split and now there's 4 of them in there and one is huge. Anemones are awesome animals but they can be a serious pain the rear end.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least it's small and you don't have a ton of coral in there. I have a rainbow bubble tip that was the size of your head that could stretch halfway across the tank. It finally split and now there's 4 of them in there and one is huge. Anemones are awesome animals but they can be a serious pain the rear end.
They are a pain. I had some RBTAs that were beautiful but they split so often they were a pest. At first I would sell them, but over time then I saturated the local market and had to give them away. They were the only non-SPS in the tank and it was a hassle. I may be signing up for the same headache but my girls are pleased and they keep showing the clowns videos of others clowns playing in anemones. They are calling it online school.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a pain. I had some RBTAs that were beautiful but they split so often they were a pest. At first I would sell them, but over time then I saturated the local market and had to give them away. They were the only non-SPS in the tank and it was a hassle. I may be signing up for the same headache but my girls are pleased and they keep showing the clowns videos of others clowns playing in anemones. They are calling it online school.
Took my clowns a couple of months to stop sleeping by the return pipes and host in the anemone. Sooner or later nature will kick in. It's awesome that the girls are invested in the project. I do my reefing for myself mainly but it's great when other people show interest or get involved.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must confess I love snails. They are not just a clean up crew for me, I really enjoy watching them. I try to find one or two of as many different types as I can. This conch is fun to watch. Every couple of days it gets some nori.
B2BCB562-7C8E-4118-9FFE-989C8FC399F3.jpeg

I am seeing some ugly stage diatoms on the sand, not bad

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must confess I love snails. They are not just a clean up crew for me, I really enjoy watching them. I try to find one or two of as many different types as I can. This conch is fun to watch. Every couple of days it gets some nori.
B2BCB562-7C8E-4118-9FFE-989C8FC399F3.jpeg

I am seeing some ugly stage diatoms on the sand, not bad
I have one of those and two more on the way... awesome animals

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snails but these little guys are a total pain. One is a small nassarius type. The other is a tiny cerith. Three times I have had to pull the skimmer out of the tiny rear compartments to get them out of the pump, always after I turn the skimmer off and back on for some reason.

They are crawling out of the water, over the false wall and into the skimmer chamber.

2FFCEA43-60C6-4935-81DB-D6B8697DCAA1.jpeg

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am anxious to get coral but forcing myself to wait until I have the parameters stable. It’s motivation for me to do water tests, which I have been lazy about in the past. Trying to be better this time.
You'd be fine with soft coral if you wanted to get some now. Xenia, GSP, mushrooms, and zoas are pretty much bulletproof

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but this time I’m doing SPS and LPS with the exception of one nomadic anemone. Even the LPS will be fine in most cases. I’ll probably get some LPS next week to scratch the itch.
You'd be fine with soft coral if you wanted to get some now. Xenia, GSP, mushrooms, and zoas are pretty much bulletproof

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see what happens when my Trochus snails spawn... I pull those little guys out of everywhere. Last time I pulled at least a dozen out of the needle wheel impeller on my skimmer. Skimmer started making wonky noises and wasn't working right.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see what happens when my Trochus snails spawn... I pull those little guys out of everywhere. Last time I pulled at least a dozen out of the needle wheel impeller on my skimmer. Skimmer started making wonky noises and wasn't working right.
I bet! I’d like to have trochus spawn even with a bunch of tiny ones clogging things up. They really are excellent snails. One of the best cleaners. I have two, so low odds of male and female.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even tell you how many I have, they're scattered in 3 tanks now. I do know I sold or traded over 700 to date. They haven't spawned in a while though so I just bought 7 more adults and threw them in the cube. We'll see what happens.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I’d share some observations on the Tunze 9001DC, one of the good choices for the small Waterbox AIO tanks.

I am please with the performance. I want to thank @Bulk Reef Supply for their investigates series on skimmers. I have had a whole range of skimmers over the years, including some of the high dollar brands. I did not completely understand how to tune a skimmer before that investigates series.

I only have two fish, feeding sparingly, and by turning down the dc pump to match the low bioload, I am getting a satisfying consistent foam and tea colored skimmate. More air and it gets watery, less air it gets dryer. Not rocket science now that I understand it, but I would not have thought to turn the air down as much as I did before the BRS videos.

50E0B6B8-E1CB-450D-B4A3-9E5C08654F75.jpeg

95BCD1AD-AC48-41CC-B655-E8773B78E3F7.jpeg
BA06162C-EC53-44DB-8AC1-5EA343325F34.jpeg

I have the new air silencer from Tunze, and it dramatically quiets the air sucking noise to nil. Very cool innovation. The only noise you can hear is the bubbles popping in the skimmer itself, I don’t think a quieter solution likely exists for an AIO tank, except for no skimmer at all which is a great option for a small tank like this.
F5AB71F8-3AAC-4CF1-8512-EB4AB785558C.jpeg

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back