Waterbox 25 peninsula! After 25 years of reefing..my first build thread

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6CCB02AC-D6C6-41B5-8426-63AE432D73B6.jpeg

The anemone seems to have settled down. Been in this spot for several days. Not a bad spot, now just to convince the clowns it will be a good host.
They'll figure it out... probably.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll figure it out... probably.
I saw a thread where people claimed they taped a picture of a clown in an anemone onto the glass and the clowns figured it out. Sounds ridiculous but I’m not too proud to try it.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a thread where people claimed they taped a picture of a clown in an anemone onto the glass and the clowns figured it out. Sounds ridiculous but I’m not too proud to try it.
I tried that it just freaked mine out. One day they just got curious and did a little wiggle in the nem. That night they were all cozy and snuggling in their new home.

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A4D47737-1FA2-4A77-8792-03E030358F5B.jpeg

I scratched the itch. First coral is always a concern. Wish me luck.

alkalinity is holding stable with 250ml kalk and 7ml All-for-Reef. I learned my lesson not changing dosing until I have a trend at least 2 days In a row. I should have known better. The Alk addition from AFR is not instantaneous so don’t change the dose based on one test.

I had read that others had issues trying AFR and Kalk but it seems to be working ok for me. I’ll keep testing daily for a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am very pleased about is the Coraline growing on my rocks. I started the lights very low, have kept the Alk elevated and pH stable (though not as high as I’d like) and Coraline is growing really well. I have three types, a bright purple a red/maroon, and a little bit of a golden color that I think will get over taken by the other two.

I am sure this growth accounts for all my calcium and Alk demand.
E3E6BE01-BF65-4E2D-9175-5434362E7930.jpeg

This is what a reef geek looks at when he only has 2 fish, some snails, 3 hermits, and one coral.

Sorry no insta-tank! I do appreciate you staying with me during my slow build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
09002B0C-49FD-4067-A7A3-DE473FC76AB9.jpeg

After target feeding reef roids, I always assume puffy=happy

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my new brain coral was looking torn up along the edges and really ticked off. I was worried I had a hitchhiker coming at night and eating it. Then I see it’s the female clown going to town on it. It looks like hosting behavior they do with anemones but the brain coral really did not fare well. There is a bubble tip anemone in the tank that would work better! Ugh. Super frustrating.

I threw the female into an acclimation box while I work on Thanksgiving dinner.
BA1436C0-7885-4AED-AD15-A142AA04F909.jpeg
1CD30CBF-D894-47AA-9565-82EC4CB754C1.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter had a brilliant idea, I can put the coral in the box and let the clown out. “Maybe she will find the anemone”

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a cleaner shrimp. Drip acclimated and he looked good. Next morning his head was missing and his body was being nipped at by the clowns. I can see the antenna from his head sticking out of a small hole in the live rock. I think I’ve got a nasty hitchhiker.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a cleaner shrimp. Drip acclimated and he looked good. Next morning his head was missing and his body was being nipped at by the clowns. I can see the antenna from his head sticking out of a small hole in the live rock. I think I’ve got a nasty hitchhiker.
So did you find out the hitchhiker?
What are fish and inverts are you planning to get for your tank?
I notice you said captive bred fish.
Perhaps yellow watchman? Cardinals? Royal gramma ?
im following your thread! Awesome build!

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did you find out the hitchhiker?
What are fish and inverts are you planning to get for your tank?
I notice you said captive bred fish.
Perhaps yellow watchman? Cardinals? Royal gramma ?
im following your thread! Awesome build!
Thanks for the questions and for following!

I have not found the hitchhiker. I have been hunting at night with red lights. I did see a tiny gorilla crab scoot into a hole, but I do not think it is big enough to cause any damage. I will want to get him out, been thinking about a baited bottle trap.

you are spot on for fish. I am thinking Yellow watchman and shrimp pair, some cardinals (probably pajama), royal gramma, cleaner goby, forktail fang blenny. Maybe not all of them because I don’t want to overcrowd the tank. My favorite fish of all time is a Fathead Anthias, I’ve kept several over the years, but I think I will stick with easy, pellet eating captive bred fish for this little tank. My clowns are kind of aggressive little jerks so I’ll have to manage that when I add fish.

corals - I am going to get a handful of my favorite LPS and a few easy and colorful SPS (Seriatopora, Monti, Stylophora)

I have a couple LPS on the way next week. Sorry for crappy photo.

AA998514-4EDA-4894-BC2B-876CE22A25DE.jpeg

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D9F86E82-85A3-41C1-9ABC-FA9361C48D4A.jpeg

The brain coral has been way happier hanging out in the acclimation box. It’s healing well and looks good. My female clown gives it a wide birth, I don’t think she appreciate her hours in time-out and wants nothing to do with the acclimation box and coral inside even with the lid open.

On a happy note (even though the BTA is not happy) the clowns have been picking at the bubble tip, showing early signs of acclimating to a host. Hopefully they take to it quickly and the BTA bounces back without too much damage.
Uploading video doesn’t seem to work. You’ll have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the questions and for following!

I have not found the hitchhiker. I have been hunting at night with red lights. I did see a tiny gorilla crab scoot into a hole, but I do not think it is big enough to cause any damage. I will want to get him out, been thinking about a baited bottle trap.

you are spot on for fish. I am thinking Yellow watchman and shrimp pair, some cardinals (probably pajama), royal gramma, cleaner goby, forktail fang blenny. Maybe not all of them because I don’t want to overcrowd the tank. My favorite fish of all time is a Fathead Anthias, I’ve kept several over the years, but I think I will stick with easy, pellet eating captive bred fish for this little tank. My clowns are kind of aggressive little jerks so I’ll have to manage that when I add fish.

corals - I am going to get a handful of my favorite LPS and a few easy and colorful SPS (Seriatopora, Monti, Stylophora)

I have a couple LPS on the way next week. Sorry for crappy photo.

AA998514-4EDA-4894-BC2B-876CE22A25DE.jpeg
Yea, get that gorilla crab out lol
Nice selection of fish you named. Going all captive bred I see! What about firefish? I don’t think they are captive bred but they are easy.
how many fish you planning for your tank in total?
I have a cube 20 with 4 fish. Pair clowns, royal gramma and yellow watchman. All captive bred lol.
nice you are getting blasto coral. It’s on my list to add to my tank!

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, get that gorilla crab out lol
Nice selection of fish you named. Going all captive bred I see! What about firefish? I don’t think they are captive bred but they are easy.
how many fish you planning for your tank in total?
I have a cube 20 with 4 fish. Pair clowns, royal gramma and yellow watchman. All captive bred lol.
nice you are getting blasto coral. It’s on my list to add to my tank!
Purple firefish is also on my list for consideration. Obviously my list is too long for this little tank. I have not decided on total number of fish. I will run out of room before I run out of nano fish i like.
You probably have the right number of fish!

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple firefish is also on my list for consideration. Obviously my list is too long for this little tank. I have not decided on total number of fish. I will run out of room before I run out of nano fish i like.
You probably have the right number of fish!
Lol, there’s just too many awesome fish out there. I watched a video on brs that 5 fish can be done in a 20 gallon. Their recommended stock list pair clowns, purple firefish, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, and royal gramma. Makes me want to squeeze in the fire fish lol
Check it out!

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, there’s just too many awesome fish out there. I watched a video on brs that 5 fish can be done in a 20 gallon. Their recommended stock list pair clowns, purple firefish, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, and royal gramma. Makes me want to squeeze in the fire fish lol
Check it out!

i saw that video. Honestly I think some of their choices are likely to be problems in many small tanks. Dotty backs, 6-lines, etc are great fish but occasionally homicidal maniacs. And 3 Bengaiis is never a good idea…you’ll likely end up with only two.
That said, I think the fish load they recommend is a good upper bound.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw that video. Honestly I think some of their choices are likely to be problems in many small tanks. Dotty backs, 6-lines, etc are great fish but occasionally homicidal maniacs. And 3 Bengaiis is never a good idea…you’ll likely end up with only two.
That said, I think the fish load they recommend is a good upper bound.
Yea I agree! Same with the chromis part. I heard they pick each other off too. That’s why I’m conflicted on getting a firefish! I just know the gramma will not be happy with the firefish in the tank. So I perhaps will not get it and be happy with the 4 fish I have lol.
Keep up your build I’ll be following!

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang clown found the coral, knocked it over and nipped at it There is damage all around the edge and it’s totally deflated with some small areas of Skelton showing.

I may need to rehome my naked female clown. Not sure what else to do. Never had this problem with a clownfish!!!

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang clown found the coral, knocked it over and nipped at it There is damage all around the edge and it’s totally deflated with some small areas of Skelton showing.

I may need to rehome my naked female clown. Not sure what else to do. Never had this problem with a clownfish!!!
Normal clownfish:
Clown GIF by The 94th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Your clownfish:
pennywise stephen king GIF

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back