Waterbox 35.2: Marco's Reef Build Thread

marcopena279

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’ve been watching build threads for quite some time and now that I’m upgrading my tank I decided to start a build thread of my own.

A little backstory:
So I currently have a Biocube 32 gallon with an ai prime 16 that I bought used two years ago in December. It took me a while but I ended up setting it up in February. I went through a fishes cycle and went adding fish and corals slowly trying my best to avoid a nutrient spike. Everything was going pretty well until I used a magnetic glass cleaner unaware that Biocubes were made out of acrylic or that it even mattered to be honest. I soon realized my mistake when I put hundreds of small and large scratches in the tank. It made me want to explode but I thought, oh well so long as the corals are doing well and are colorful then it doesn’t matter I’ll put up with the scratches.

Pictures of the progression:
IMG_0148.jpeg

September 5, 2020

IMG_2203.jpeg

September 13, 2020

As gorgeous as my tank looked this was it’s peak. My tanks terrible demise was about to come in the form of a gorgeous fish.
IMG_1275.jpeg

This little guy was skittish at first but he would still come out and eat with the rest of the fish. I know I should’ve quarantined first but I’m hardheaded and don’t learn very well unless it’s from my own hands on experience. A month after introducing him he suddenly disappeared and I assumed he was just coming out late at night and hunting for pods since I did catch him doing that a couple of times. Unfortunately though, he had died and this was at a point where I was dosing all for reef, had cheato growing, and was only doing water changes once a month. Since everything was so stable I fell into the trap of not testing very often as I didn’t feel the need to. Very quickly I noticed I started losing corals from one day to the next and colors started vanishing so I immediately started doing water changes and attempting to save my tank from crashing.

It’s been a couple months since this event and I was able to save some corals and most have regained or are in the process of regaining their full color.

The present (as of November 9th 2021):
Now that my tanks almost fully recovered I’ve decided it’s time to ditch the bio cube and start fresh(sort of) with a Waterbox 35.2, I was tempted to go larger but I’ll be taking this tank with me to college and I felt the Waterbox 35.2 was the perfect size. I recently ordered the tank and it’s supposed to ship out anywhere from today to November 18th. (Waterbox said it would ship out in 5-7 business days but it’s been two weeks and that idea was thrown out the window, kind of annoying but oh well)

My plan:
I already have a rockscape I designed cycling in my garage but, I plan to use the same sand from my bio cube plus a little extra added in to help stabilize the tank. I’m also transferring all the livestock and equipment as well.

That being said this is my equipment list:
- Radion Gen 5 XR15 Blue(had to upgrade)
- Ai Nero 3
- Two little fishies reactor(Chaeto)
- Sicce Silent 1.5(Connects to reactor which then leads to return)
- Kamaor X1 PRO 2 Doser
- Tunze 3155 and 5 gallon reservoir

My intention is to build a control box with dj switches for everything that cannot be controlled via my phone to keep things organized and make it easier to do maintenance. I also plan on adding small stick-on shelves inside the stand to store foods and things like that.

Livestock:
In terms of fish I only have a yellow coris wrasse since I moved my clownfish pair to my new nem tank downstairs(might start a thread on that too) I plan on adding more fish but not sure what to add, I’m looking for active reef-safe fish, open to suggestions.

In terms of corals I plan to have specific gardens of corals which I’ll explain in further detail when the rocks are in the tank. It’s mainly going to be LPS dominated.

I know it's a lengthy read sorry about that just wanted to give as many details as possible. Im happy to answer any questions and to hear suggestions from everyone. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
marcopena279

marcopena279

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how exactly did the tiny fish bring about the demise of your tank?
It was 100 percent my own negligence that caused it. The fish stopped coming out and I assumed it was eating pods at night because I saw it a few times in the middle of the night hunting. After a while I stopped seeing the fish and also didn't think to test the parameters to see if anything was off. By the time I realized my levels were high it was too late and I did the best I could to remedy it with water changes. Lesson learned can't get too comfortable and putting fish in quarantine is vital.

OP
OP
marcopena279

marcopena279

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels? Ammonia?
Yes ammonia and nitrate were both high. Ammonia wasn't very high because my tank is pretty well established so as a result the nitrates was what really shot up. Got it back under control though ammonia is 0, nitrate is 5 ppm, phosphate 0.3 ppm

OP
OP
marcopena279

marcopena279

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continued here:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back