Waterbox 50.3 Protein Skimmer Recomendations

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I was looking for some opinions and recommendations on a protein skimmer for the Waterbox 50.3. I was looking at possibly the Aquamaxx Ws-1 or the HOB 1.5, or maybe the Tunze 9004 DC. Looking for opinions on these or maybe recommendations on another.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the 9004 and loved it. It’s a very efficient skimmer and worked great. I think it was designed to produce a wetter skimmate as when used as recommended (water level at middle of grates in skimmer cup) that’s all that I pulled. The only cumbersome thing about this skimmer is taking it apart for cleaning, but with it’s surface skimming design this task seemed to be needed at longer intervals.

coldsteelmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the 9004 and loved it. It’s a very efficient skimmer and worked great. I think it was designed to produce a wetter skimmate as when used as recommended (water level at middle of grates in skimmer cup) that’s all that I pulled. The only cumbersome thing about this skimmer is taking it apart for cleaning, but with it’s surface skimming design this task seemed to be needed at longer intervals.

This^.

I currently run dual 9004 DC's in the rear chamber(s) on my JbJ 45. VERY good (efficient and quiet) skimmers with the ONLY knock from my experience being the tedium involved in cleaning.

A strong recommendation from me.

OP
OP
Demoic

Demoic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Demonic. I just got the aio 50. Hoq did setup work for u
Honestly I'm still acquiring all my parts lol. I ended up with an aquamaxx hob 1.5 but decided to get married in the interim so I haven't had the funds to finish. I plan to have it running by year end but that skimmer has great reviews and fits perfect. I can take pictures and such if you'd like to see how it fits. With my lid and lights or if you have any other questions on the fittment let me know.

paynefull66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm still acquiring all my parts lol. I ended up with an aquamaxx hob 1.5 but decided to get married in the interim so I haven't had the funds to finish. I plan to have it running by year end but that skimmer has great reviews and fits perfect. I can take pictures and such if you'd like to see how it fits. With my lid and lights or if you have any other questions on the fittment let me know.
I actually have that aquamaxx bullet 1.5. It took a while for the foam to settle and make it work correctly but i love it..Take so much gunk out of tank its amazing. They do say to eventually set it low to get the dryer skimmate but for me at least the cup fills with water pretty quick and then my ato starts dumping fresh water into the tank and my salinity goes whacky. So i have it as high as it will go and it takes a few days to fill up. My first time with a skimmer so i dont know if thats good or bad but the ato stopped adfing freshwater so fast. What did u get for a return pump? I feel like its not necessary to have a 400 dollar dc pump because the skimmer is before the return. Not sure if its true but i read the dc pumps are good to tune the skimmer . The short of it id like to add that uv light from aquamarine in the other filter sock hole

paynefull66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have that aquamaxx bullet 1.5. It took a while for the foam to settle and make it work correctly but i love it..Take so much gunk out of tank its amazing. They do say to eventually set it low to get the dryer skimmate but for me at least the cup fills with water pretty quick and then my ato starts dumping fresh water into the tank and my salinity goes whacky. So i have it as high as it will go and it takes a few days to fill up. My first time with a skimmer so i dont know if thats good or bad but the ato stopped adfing freshwater so fast. What did u get for a return pump? I feel like its not necessary to have a 400 dollar dc pump because the skimmer is before the return. Not sure if its true but i read the dc pumps are good to tune the skimmer . The short of it id like to add that uv light from aquamarine in the other filter sock hole
Id like to do sps in this tank. What r u doing? I have the radion gen 4. Im told they can do it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back