Waterbox 60.2 Macro in sump?

Morrissey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have the marine x 60.2 waterbox aquarium. The sump does not have a specific refugium section, however there is space in the first section before skimmer were the display drains into. Could I try chaeto in there with a solid light? My goal is to lower nutrients and out compete hair algae in the main display.

Thanks!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean before the filter socks, right? If so, no - you don’t want a refugium there.
I have heard that Chaetomorpha and Ulva can be used as mechanical filtration, but I have no experience with this. I couldn’t imagine them as efficient at removing particulates as filter socks, though.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have the marine x 60.2 waterbox aquarium. The sump does not have a specific refugium section, however there is space in the first section before skimmer were the display drains into. Could I try chaeto in there with a solid light? My goal is to lower nutrients and out compete hair algae in the main display.

Thanks!
You could try cheato or ulva in a small planter basket with a light above it. This would keep it contained and create less of a mess.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the marine X 110.4 I think the sumps are a bit different is this where the pipes go into then it drains to socks? I was running lowing Nitrates and Phosphates. I ended up taking down my nyos skimmer and just making a fuge with no skimmer. I honestly think you should be fine in that section

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marine X 110.4 I think the sumps are a bit different is this where the pipes go into then it drains to socks? I was running lowing Nitrates and Phosphates. I ended up taking down my nyos skimmer and just making a fuge with no skimmer. I honestly think you should be fine in that section
If the section empties into the filter socks, having a refugium there is just going to clog them up prematurely.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the section empties into the filter socks, having a refugium there is just going to clog them up prematurely.
Yeah your right. I was thinking about him sectioning it off somehow but honestly it is such a small water volume not worth even trying. Best bet for OP is to run a refugium reactor

Alexoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut a piece of glass to the good dimensions (local hardware store did it), a little bit of silicone, piece of eggcrate glued to the top, and voilà, home-made refugium in my 60.2 fuge, total cost, less than 20$, still enough room for the skimmer.
IMG_9623.jpg

OP
OP
Morrissey

Morrissey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all! a fuge reactor is interesting, I have read mixed reviews some say its tough to clean and maintain consistently. Any thoughts? I have a large tunze skimmer in that section so I think it'll be a tight squeeze trying to fit a fuge in that section. I wish I thought of modifying the sump before setup. I mainly wanted to grow chaeto just for nutrient export to slowly keep phosphate in check.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back