Waterbox 65.4 AIO build/need tips

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new member here!

after 5 years out of the hobby I’m making my return!

I’ve ordered the 65.4 AIO and it’s supposed to arrive mid July so I want to start planning and buying in advance. There isn’t much info on these tanks on the internet (aside from a few builds on R2R) so I’m hoping some of you have experience with them, tips/tricks etc to help me out. Specifically with what equipment can fit in the chambers. I’ll be taking the two months I have until arrival to really figure out the ‘scape and make sure it’s secure and sturdy (anyone tried aqua forest stone fix?)

What I already have:
RODI Buddie (50 GPD)
Hanna digital silinity tester
Mighty jet Controllable DC return pump (538 GPH)

still need:
Heater (BRS titanium with ink bird?)

Power head: thinking Nero 3
ATO - need recommendations. I used to use the innovative marine hydrafill and I loved it. Any opinions on this encouraged

testing kits

wish list:
Skimmer - thinking Tunze 9004 DC. I’ve seen a member on here running a CADlights but I can’t seem to find any for sale. The Icecap K2-50 looks intriguing too but can’t seem to find any of those either.

1 more Prime HD - for Bette coverage over the 4 foot span of the tank

UV - I’m torn between the green killing machine and the AquaUV 2000. The AquaUV requires the purchase of a pump and the UV unit hangs on the back. Anyone tried these?

filter cups to replace the socks

random flow generators for the return outputs

If anyone has any wisdom to share with me I would be forever grateful. 5 years out of the hobby and it’s somewhat nerve racking getting back in

OP
OP
L

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of tank are you going for?
Mixed reef. I’ve had success with LPS in the past but never tried SPS.

SPS will be a much “later” thing. Not going to even attempt until I know I’ve got a stable environment.

id love a clam in there at some point too.

for stocking I want around 6 fish. I like the constant movement and busy-ness of fish. Thinking 2 clowns, perhaps a very small powder brown, a mandarin down the road when I’ve got the pod population, and then totally open to suggestions on 2-3 more

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, new member here!

after 5 years out of the hobby I’m making my return!

I’ve ordered the 65.4 AIO and it’s supposed to arrive mid July so I want to start planning and buying in advance. There isn’t much info on these tanks on the internet (aside from a few builds on R2R) so I’m hoping some of you have experience with them, tips/tricks etc to help me out. Specifically with what equipment can fit in the chambers. I’ll be taking the two months I have until arrival to really figure out the ‘scape and make sure it’s secure and sturdy (anyone tried aqua forest stone fix?)

What I already have:
RODI Buddie (50 GPD)
Hanna digital silinity tester
Mighty jet Controllable DC return pump (538 GPH)

still need:
Heater (BRS titanium with ink bird?)

Power head: thinking Nero 3
ATO - need recommendations. I used to use the innovative marine hydrafill and I loved it. Any opinions on this encouraged

testing kits

wish list:
Skimmer - thinking Tunze 9004 DC. I’ve seen a member on here running a CADlights but I can’t seem to find any for sale. The Icecap K2-50 looks intriguing too but can’t seem to find any of those either.

1 more Prime HD - for Bette coverage over the 4 foot span of the tank

UV - I’m torn between the green killing machine and the AquaUV 2000. The AquaUV requires the purchase of a pump and the UV unit hangs on the back. Anyone tried these?

filter cups to replace the socks

random flow generators for the return outputs

If anyone has any wisdom to share with me I would be forever grateful. 5 years out of the hobby and it’s somewhat nerve racking getting back in
I think Cadlights went out of business. I may have gotten the last PLS50 skimmer they had. It arrived very broken and they ghosted me after the sale. PayPal refunded my money so I ended up getting it for free and was able to repair it enough to make it work in my IM50 Lagoon. It works great but not available new anymore as far as I can tell. Cadlights’ website is gone and the url is available for purchase.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Cadlights went out of business. I may have gotten the last PLS50 skimmer they had. It arrived very broken and they ghosted me after the sale. PayPal refunded my money so I ended up getting it for free and was able to repair it enough to make it work in my IM50 Lagoon. It works great but not available new anymore as far as I can tell. Cadlights’ website is gone and the url is available for purchase.

Cadlights switched over or merged with Mode Aquariums.
Here is the link to their PLS-50 Elite II Skimmer

OP
OP
L

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a million! Just finished my scape (well... 90% of it) and installed my RODI Buddie. Filling a big Rubbermaid tub right now to pre cycle my rock since 2 months till delivery

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew Mode had acquired Cadlights but at the time I was dealing with them they we’re not helping to resolve any Cadlights issues and the Cadlights website was shut down right after I ordered. PayPal tried but nobody would respond so I just ended up getting a refund and keeping the broken skimmer. After some DIY it works well but the pump is noisy. I did not realize that Mode is now marketing it. They don’t call it a Cadlights but all the pictures and videos are branded as Cadlights. I may have to get another skimmer pump from them but I don’t want to after the way I was treated. If they’d just sent me a new pump in the first place they could have kept my money.

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Cadlights seem to have a reputation of bad customer service. I want to get a different skimmer because my IceCap K1-50 is a very very tight fit and whenever I need to clean the skimmer it can be a pain to put it back into the rear chamber. I am really considering the Fiji Cube NSK-70 Protein Skimmer.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my eye on that Fiji cube one as well if the cadlights pump dies and I can’t replace it. Looks like a good choice.

Last edited:

Jaysushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the Fiji Cube skimmer had more reviews and videos on it, but it looks like a solid piece of equipment. I will eventually switch over to it from my IceCap once I get annoyed with pulling the skimmer out to clean it lol.

josh515025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a 65.4 peninsula I will be using the 9004 DC Tunze skimmer

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered WB 50.3, and have had my equipment list for a bit.
Ill be using Tunze 9004 skimmer, Tunze 3155 ATO, Maxspect gyre F330 & F350, T5 hybrid lights with Kessils.
Itll be heavy SPS, going WWC method of heavy flow to keep any food/waste suspended and filtered out. Ive done too much tinkering in past tanks and chasing numbers, this one is going to be much more simple and relaxing

Back