Waterbox 85.3 OR Red Sea Reefer 250?

ConectadoNZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opportunity to buy a Red Sea reefer 250 - that is being full of Discus at the moment (14 of them), for the past 1.5 year! That will cost me around 1k only BUT after seeing the FRAG 85.3 from waterbox that will cost me around 2.5k where I leave. So!

Should I get a new for a Waterbox one or an old Red Sea 250 and use the difference for equipment?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a full tank of discus or an empty tank? If that is the question only you know which you would prefer.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opportunity to buy a Red Sea reefer 250 - that is being full of Discus at the moment (14 of them), for the past 1.5 year! That will cost me around 1k only BUT after seeing the FRAG 85.3 from waterbox that will cost me around 2.5k where I leave. So!

Should I get a new for a Waterbox one or an old Red Sea 250 and use the difference for equipment?
I have a Red Sea 250 and with all the problems they have had with the silicone joints it has me looking for bubbles in the joints everyday! If I bought again it would be water box or Cade.

OP
OP
ConectadoNZ

ConectadoNZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a full tank of discus or an empty tank? If that is the question only you know which you would prefer.
I Will sell all the discus, I was more concern around the 1 year old tank versus new one!

Like as mention above some 250 had Problems... That response is what I am after...

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive never owned a WB but i did have a RS Reefer. It seemed decently built but i was always a little nervous about it. Ill probably never buy one again... WB do look nicer in my honest opinion...

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decide what dimensions you want. That specific waterbox is only 16 inches tall, so I wouldn't want that...but you might.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that is my OP! But would you go for a new waterbox instead? Or risk to have an old Red Sea? Cheers

if those are your only options then depending how easy it is to sell and the price you will get for them?
Also will the transportation of the old tank involve a cost? Has copper been used in it since it was fish only?

As it stands you would have to make a lot from the fish to make this a good deal.

For me, I would get the tank you want, cost aside, the hassle of selling fish and again any come back from that would put me off that option

Not sure where you are but your pricing seemsa little high on the waterbox? If I could get your price down I would go that route, less worry about seal issues and less hassle all round, for maybe not much more cost.

Last edited:

Regg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would chose waterboy I have a waterbox 130.4 I previously had a leaking rs 250 and a 170.

OP
OP
ConectadoNZ

ConectadoNZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if those are your only options then depending how easy it is to sell and the price you will get for them?
Also will the transportation of the old tank involve a cost? Has copper been used in it since it was fish only?

As it stands you would have to make a lot from the fish to make this a good deal.

For me, I would get the tank you want, cost aside, the hassle of selling fish and again any come back from that would put me off that option

Not sure where you are but your pricing seemsa little high on the waterbox? If I could get your price down I would go that route, less worry about seal issues and less hassle all round, for maybe not much more cost.

I thought about the hassle of bringing the tank home, that will envolve myself and a friend, and the hassle of selling the fish as well, and to be honest that put me down as well...
I am in New Zealand so NZD 2500 will be around 1800 us...
I am gonna wait for the price to drop around xmas time and make my decision on that... Just thought about the opportunity to have a red sea for a very low price, but its always good to have a new tank under warranty hey...

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about the hassle of bringing the tank home, that will envolve myself and a friend, and the hassle of selling the fish as well, and to be honest that put me down as well...
I am in New Zealand so NZD 2500 will be around 1800 us...
I am gonna wait for the price to drop around xmas time and make my decision on that... Just thought about the opportunity to have a red sea for a very low price, but its always good to have a new tank under warranty hey...

Being in New Zealand makes the Red Sea a very good deal, I would look into that option, if you can keep the hassle down then it could be a steal, selling the fish for the bare minimum might make the tank free.

Worth checking it out fully, as I can’t see the cost of the WB coming down any time soon.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Redsea I vote ibhave a xxl750 and absolutely love it 100 percent satisfied. No offense waterbox or c there customers as i have both but the Redsea is the #1

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you set on one of them 2 brands?

If not take a look at fijicube they have tank with same dimensions as the waterbox, but these come with external overflow and at a cheaper price.
Fijicube also has excellent customer service

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back