Waterbox AIO 50.3 or 65.4 vs Red Sea Max E-170

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm considering in investing in a 40-70 gallon AIO as my first reef tank. I've narrowed down my options down to the Waterbox AIO 50.3, 65.4 or Red sea Max E-170. What brand do you think is better? Thanks!

leilani908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both waterbox and red sea are really good, but I have the waterbox AIO 50.3 and I love it! I did scratch the bottom of the glass easily with sand when cleaning, but that could be the same with a Red Sea too. Note that if you want a protein skimmer in your AIO, I’d consider getting a sump as well as the only sized skimmer that’ll fit in the waterbox filter is a small 20-40 gallon skimmer. I’d see how big the red seas filter is if you don’t want to get a sump to see if a skimmer will fit in their filter instead. Hope this helps! :)

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go w/ a sump instead?
Well it depends if you want the extra benefits of a sump but keep in mind it comes with some new problems.

Benefits are that you can much easier use equipment, have more water volume, space for a refugium, more room to work, etc.

Cons are that its a lot more likely to Have a leak in the plumbing, its louder and it costs more to setup.

Either option is 100% viable to have a successful tank, an external sump ultimately is better though.

kevin318

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea Max e170 AIO and love the tank. Easy to care for, it's been great for me. I have SPS, LPS, some softie's, lots of Zoa's, and I have no water parameter or lighting issues. Water changes are a breeze and I just added the Tunze Osmolator 3155, works great, fits underneath, it's quiet, made the tank even easier.
You are just starting, you can always add a sump later.

I have mine in my office.

IMG_6875.jpeg 2-17-2021.jpeg

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason not start with an AIO. In fact I would say it may be a smarter, less complicated option for someone new to the hobby...

As for your question OP, I like Waterbox.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back