Waterbox AIO 50.3 or MarineX 60.2? Help!

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I know this must be a question that has been asked here like a million times. Sorry for thStill I would need your help for my specificase.

I just can not decide. I know this is probably the most important decision to make. AIO or SUMP in cabinet ?

i also know one is 35.4’’ and the other 23.6’’ but with the latter i would need a technical cabinet of 12’’

Here are the parameters:
I am a complete newbie but I learn fast
I will probably go for a Waterbox aquarium, and I am hesitating big time between the AIO 50.3 and Marine X 60.2
I have a spot for a maximum 90cm (35.4”) footprint.
I will need a dedicated water chiller (not just a fan) for Summer
I want a mixed reef with 40% softies 40% LPS and 20% easy SPS at the top
I want as many fishes as possible for the volume
Money is not really an issue since I am ready to pay more for a better result and higher percentage of success (stability/less algae/healthier fishes)

How I see things:
Both systems have almost the same total water volume (livestock possible, water changes)

AIO 50.3:
It would perfectly fit my available spot with plenty of room in the cabinet for all the technical stuff (Apex, chiller, UV, ATO reservoir, buckets, tests…)
I am not sure AIO is quieter because I read many controversial posts: some say AIO’s open sumps are noisier and sump behind doors are quieter. Others say that flow coming down to filter socks, plus larger return pump and skimmer are noisier in a cabinet-sump…
Display is larger here but less depth, rock scapping is probably harder.
I know I could add a sump in the cabinet later on but this would not suit me because I definitely need room for the technical stuff.

MarineX 60.2:
Footprint would be the same because with a real sump filling the tank’s cabinet, I would definitely need a technical cabinet next to the aquarium cabinet to fit all the additional stuff: Apex, Chiller, tests…
I read that a real sump is better for stability because more volume for filtration with biological media, chaeto, more powerful skimmer, more options for reactors etc…

I would be more than happy to take your point of view !
C3328F03-CA69-437D-B300-D1CEB3464111.png

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you go with?
I know its a hard chose right? both has there pros and cons....welcome to reefing you will find there are very few things in this hobby that dont have them dang pros and cons.

here's my thoughts for what ever there worth.

3' tank give more room for the fish to spread out but not more water volume in your case. but the idea is less fighting of territory.

3' foot tanks are kinda a pain to light to seems like most light light a 24x24 spread so it sucks needing the spend the money for an extra light .

2' tank can be a bit boxy still nice just not as nice to the eye in my option ( then again I got really like cube tanks )

if you can swing it I would just go with the marin 90.3 best of both worlds!
it also depends on your tank goals what fish are a must have. something to think about.

now all that said I kinda thining of the 90.3 and the 60.2 my self for a sea horse build. as a 2nd tank ( if I can swing it by the lady of the house )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DarkTonio

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what did you go with?
I know its a hard chose right? both has there pros and cons....welcome to reefing you will find there are very few things in this hobby that dont have them dang pros and cons.

here's my thoughts for what ever there worth.

3' tank give more room for the fish to spread out but not more water volume in your case. but the idea is less fighting of territory.

3' foot tanks are kinda a pain to light to seems like most light light a 24x24 spread so it sucks needing the spend the money for an extra light .

2' tank can be a bit boxy still nice just not as nice to the eye in my option ( then again I got really like cube tanks )

if you can swing it I would just go with the marin 90.3 best of both worlds!
it also depends on your tank goals what fish are a must have. something to think about.

now all that said I kinda thining of the 90.3 and the 60.2 my self for a sea horse build. as a 2nd tank ( if I can swing it by the lady of the house )
Hey! Thank you for your advice. Actually I am still planning but I will go for the Waterbox Aio 50.3.

I read A LOT of articles and watched many videos. What I understood is that a real sump in the cabinet is always better BUT for smaller tanks (max 60 gallons), an in-tank sump at the back of the DT is usually enough (if not full SPS).

Also, in a smaller tank, water changes are easier to perform and for a project like mine (80% softies & LPS) a dedicated sump is also not mandatory.

Finally, the possibility to have a larger front window to watch my livestock + the ability to put all the gear inside the cabinet were the reasons which made my decision.

Upvote 0

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thank you for your advice. Actually I am still planning but I will go for the Waterbox Aio 50.3.

I read A LOT of articles and watched many videos. What I understood is that a real sump in the cabinet is always better BUT for smaller tanks (max 60 gallons), an in-tank sump at the back of the DT is usually enough (if not full SPS).

Also, in a smaller tank, water changes are easier to perform and for a project like mine (80% softies & LPS) a dedicated sump is also not mandatory.

Finally, the possibility to have a larger front window to watch my livestock + the ability to put all the gear inside the cabinet were the reasons which made my decision.

glad you made your mind up. it can be alot of back n forth right. I think you will be happy with the AIO. oh have you seen Ryan from BRS SPS AIO its amazing.

good luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DarkTonio

DarkTonio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad you made your mind up. it can be alot of back n forth right. I think you will be happy with the AIO. oh have you seen Ryan from BRS SPS AIO its amazing.

good luck!
Thank you! Yes, I have been binge-watching all the BRS videos lately. They are amazing. I have learned so much! They seem to be very nice people indeed and they bring a lot to the hobby.

Upvote 0

diverrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have IM nuvo 40 aio. i can’t say I like it, for me a big part of the hobby is the equipment and an aio is just too small and cramped you are limited in everything from skimmer to refugium to top off all aspect of reefing equipment is sort of pre defined for you. I will be upgrading to a system with a sump as soon as my all house automatic generator gets here. A pre request from the wife for the upgrade.

Upvote 0

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to max stock your tank, then you’ll need a more powerful skimmer and maybe a refugium. It is going to be harder to accomplish that with an AIO.

... so why is it that you’d need a chiller?

Upvote 0

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you will really enjoy the simplicity of an AIO. If you’re a gear junky, you might wish you had a larger sump area, but not really needed to be successful imo. Try to keep it as simple as possible. For the corals you plan to keep, skimmers, reactors, and refugiums aren’t necessary. I look forward to seeing what you do with your AIO! :)

Upvote 0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back