WATERBOX AQUARIUMS REEF PRO 180.5 BUILD THREAD

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!! this is my first time here as I am pretty new to the forum world. Id like to start by introducing myself, My name is Antonio also known as EAT SLEEP REEF on Instagram and YouTube. I started the hobby about 3 years ago and slowly have evolved to this beautiful build I am about to embark on. Id love to use this as a place you all can follow along this great build as well as share input and all in all have a great time. This new build is going to be a WaterBox 180.5. My plan for this tank will be a slight mix reef but really catering to SPS dominant as time goes on and the tank matures. I will be listing full specs below on what I plan to run and would love to hear your inputs.

SPECS
Tank - WaterBox 180.5
I had my eye on WaterBox for a while so figured it was the right decision, I loved the clear glass, amazing finish on stands and so many other features that set them apart.
180.5-plus-white-displayfrefefef_1024x.jpg

Sump - Bashsea Smart Series 3618
I decided to go with a Bashsea smart series sump, Really liked the flexibility for me to do whatever I wish in the future. The space in this sump is unreal. Not to mention im a big fan of blue :)
SMSE_3618_3-4_blue-1024x867__51656.1581007611.jpg

Return Pump/ The Heart - Vectra L2
Choosing a pump wasn't hard at all. I wanted a pump that had endless control, dead silent, proven and reliable. I think most of us can agree that ecotech does a great job at this with the Vectra line up. Not to mention the new mobius app is FIRE!
Ecotech-Marin-Vectra-L2.jpg

Heater - Eheim 250w
I have always used Eheim heaters and never had an issue so I ended up going with one again. I think the 250w will be enough although I see a lot of people do 300w in my size tank. the problem becomes with the 300w that they get super long and hard to place in sumps. My home never gets that cold so I think we will be fine.
5188371.jpg

Wave makers - Mp40 x2
Same as the return pump, I wanted a pump that had endless control, dead silent, proven and reliable. Going with Ecotech was a no brainer for me.
mp40qd_driver_3.jpg

Lights Radion Xr30 G5 PRO x3
For those who have followed me you probably know I have tried out a few lights in my time of reefing. What has drawn me to Radion lights aside from proven results is the controllability and the look to the naked eye. Did I mention that they are proven to grow coral LOL.. No but seriously they are great lights. I will be running diffusers just to even out the light a little more and blent them in a bit better.
lg_112692_30Blue_G5_Bottom.jpg

Skimmer - GW12

In the past I have had great success with Great white skimmers. I seen the new DC versions come out so I figured why not give it a go. I was really impressed with the finish and adjustability on these from day one.
gwdcmain_2048x2048.jpg

Paxbellum Arrid 24 Chaeto Reactor
Those who know me you know im big on doing nutrient export right from the beginning. I have been down the road where I try to go the cheap route and later it comes to bite me. Aside from the look of these reactors I have seen people with great results. I love using chaeto for export as it provides so many benefits, it only seemed right to give this a go.
n24_1000x1000_1.jpg

Kalk Stirrer - Avast Marine K1
I had never used a stirrer in the past but have seen too many successful reefers that swear by this. The higher PH seems to really show with the happy corals. I have used Avast in the past and loved the reviews on this stirrer.
k1_new_grande.jpg

Calcium Reactor - Not sure what brand
For this I have no idea which one I will go with but rest assured we will for sure be doing one. After seeing how the corals responded on the JBJ I have to run one.

ALK Tester - GHL KH Director
On my previous tank I got to run the KHD and the peace of mind that bring makes it all worth it. I don't think I need to even talk about the reliability go GHL ever other controllers out there. This unit was more than accurate when compared to my hanna checkers so I figured I would put it in this new build.
KH-Director-Doser-Set-white.png

Controller - GHL ProFilux 4
I will admit this I knew territory for me as I have never ran a controller in any of my tanks. Having great success with the KHD in my last build I new the Profilux was 100% for me on this new to monitor every aspect.
Profilux-Mega-Set-White-Pic1.jpg

GHL ION DIRECTOR
The Ion as far as I am aware aren't shipping yet but you better believe I will be getting one. Having an automatic tester test for Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Nitrate all while using NO REAGENT!!! I was beyond sold LOL
ION-Director_Black_FrontRight_850x850.jpg

Rock - CaribSea LIFE Rock
I had never used LIFE rock but I loved the fact that it was purple out of the box and looked liked mature rock from day one. I really liked this look so decided to commit to it for the new build.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sand - CaribSea live Special Grade
I had used this sand in ever tank I have ever set. Love the fact that it has bacteria in it which helps speed up cycles. Im a fan of the Reef Grade as it tends to not get blown around as much.
CaribSea-Arag-Alive-Special-Grade-Reef-Sand-20-lb-99.jpg

Cycling - Dr Tims one and only with ammonia too
This again is new territory for me. I normally cycle tanks with mollies, having seen so many people using Dr Tims I wanted to give it a try for this build.
s-l640.jpg

Fish Food - Rods Food
Since the JBJ I have always used Rods to feed my corals and fish. I love the results I get from it and the fish go nuts over it.
rods-original.jpg

Salt - Tropic Marin Pro
This salt I started using on my last build, I always wondering if it was as good as the people raved about. I will tell you this may not be the most inexpensive salt out there. Take my word for it Good salt Aint cheap and cheap salt aint good hahahah. But seriously after seeing this salt mix clear in 5 minutes or less plus leaves ZERO residue I knew this was a very pure and clean salt.
proreef_sea_salt_600x600_1.jpg

Other testers - Hanna Instruments
I have always used hanna since my JBJ. Hard to beat the price for how easy it is to get any reading you are looking for.
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 10.36.17 PM.png

Let the Journey begin!!!
LR.ReefPro.220-white-cabinet_720x.jpg
SMSE_3618_3-4_blue-1024x867__51656.1581007611.jpg P4-White-324x324.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
eatsleepreef

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived Monday in one piece, Lets not mind the pallet LOL.
IMG_0040.jpeg

Building the stand seems pretty easy, it may help a little since I recently moved into my home and I have become a master at building furniture hahah. I started out by assembling the base and leveling this as much as possible before continuing. I feel it is a lot easier to do now rather than building it up and then trying to flip the stand over to access the legs.
IMG_0066.jpeg
IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0064 2.jpeg

OP
OP
eatsleepreef

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you are happy with the base an have it as close to level as possible you can now move on to assessing the rest. Be sure to tighten the nits for the leveling legs.

IMG_0100.jpeg
IMG_0099.jpeg

Before adding the side panels be sure you are happy with the LEVEL of the stand. Once the sides come on it becomes hard to remove the base.

IMG_0108.jpeg

YAY!!!!!
IMG_0115.jpeg
IMG_0108.jpeg

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!! this is my first time here as I am pretty new to the forum world. Id like to start by introducing myself, My name is Antonio also known as EAT SLEEP REEF on instagram and YouTube. I started the hobby about 3 years ago and slowly have evolved to this beautiful build I am about to embark. Id love to use this as a place you all can follow along this great build as well as share input and all in all have a great time. This new build is going to be a WaterBox 180.5 I have decided to run the original sump as I feel it has a pretty good layout and seems to have plenty of room for expansion for what I am trying to do. My plan for this tank will be a slight mix reef buy really catering to SPS dominant as time goes on and the tank matures. I will be listing full specs below on what I plan to run and would love to hear your inputs.

SPECS
Tank - WaterBox 180.5
Sump - Stock sump
Return Pump - Vectra L2
Heater - Eheim 250w
Wave makers - Mp40 x2 on either end
Lights Radion Xr30 G5 Blue x3 with diffusers
Skimmer - NONE
ATS - Clear Water Cw100
Kalk Stirrer - Avas Marine K1
Calcium Reactor - Not sure what brand
ALK Tester - GHL KH Director
Controller - GHL ProFilux 4
Rock - CaribSea LIFE Rock
Sand - CaribSea live Special Grade
Cycling - Dr Tims one and only with ammonia too
Fish Food - Rods Food
Salt - Tropic Marin Pro
Other testers - Hanna Instruments

LR.ReefPro.220-white-cabinet_720x.jpg
Yey I love your channel and can’t wait for the video of the tank

OP
OP
eatsleepreef

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once happy with everything its a good time to add the plastic screw covers that hide the screws. You can do this at the end but I found it easier to do it as the tank is laid down.

Next we install the doors, this is straight forward as all you need to do is screw in the hinges.

IMG_0154.jpeg

So far so good

IMG_0156.jpeg

The finish on this stand is NO JOKE!!. I absolutely love it.

IMG_0158.jpeg

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for you to get the tank after you ordered it?

OP
OP
eatsleepreef

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some beautifully well made tanks and stands. Congratulations and can’t wait for more progression posts.
I agree, seeing them in person you get to see all the things that make them stand apart. Thanks much I will be keeping you guys updated.

OP
OP
eatsleepreef

eatsleepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With stand now complete it’s time to add tank, for this it’s important you have as many people helping as possible. I found suction cups to make this a lot easier from amazon.

link to product
FCHO Glass Suction Cups Heavy Duty Aluminum Vacuum Plate Handle Glass Holder Hooks to Lift Large Glass/Floor Gap Fixer/Tile Suction Cup Lifter/Moving Glass/Pad for Lifting/Dent Puller (2 Pack)

8D835183-7BA0-4425-AC57-2EA2C3FF6653.jpeg

another thing I have to decide before I make the move will be if I want to do background or no background. I have seen custom builds done with no background and in my opinion they look a lot more elegant. I do get that it will also be more work as you have to keep the back clean. I love the idea of being able to use LED to light up the background like in fresh water tanks.

one side off ;)

DA35A3F9-3E02-4D35-AE1D-4A94D80C4233.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back