OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a rodi system so i dont pay anything for ro water or top off water. I bought a bucket of red sea reef pro salt for 75 for big bucket. it makes 175 gallons and i do weekly 5g changes plus original 20g for startup. if i did my math right that is 75 bucks for first 20g in tank, 10g water change after cycle, three 5g water changes so far and enough 26 more waterchanges. The rodi unit was my dads so free :S 75 for half a year?
Nice! OK so here's were I'm at. I'm going to Florida in two weeks so I'm going to order the rock and ato then when i get back order the sand then go to my lfs and buy about 25 gallons of SW and 5 gallons of ro water for the ato. I'm going to try to be back before April 6th because I have a track meet in 3 days. So my schedule is packed until about April 12th. I'm going to try to get fish in the tank bye may. also my summer job starts soon to so I will be having a lot more money for corals and water changes.

Last edited:

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! OK so here were I'm at. I'm going to Florida in two weeks so I'm going to order the rock and ato then when i get back order the sand then go to my lfs and buy about 25 gallons of SW and 5 gallons of ro water for the ato. I'm going to try to be back before April 6th because I have a track meet in 3 days. So my schedule is packed until about April 12th. I'm going to try to get fish in the tank bye may. also my summer job starts soon to so I will be having a lot more money for corals and water changes.
Honestly dude at least here in California and at least in my office, the 5g ato reservoir gets low every few days. Now I keep waterline bit higher but between warm room and evap ro goes quick. I would really recommend a rodi unit and brute trash can if possible. Just my opinion lol not sure how warm it is where u are.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Its Ohio and there's snow on the ground so idk. Also I could probable get like 20 gallons of ro water and store in in my basement it will be in the dark all day so it will probably be fine.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Its Ohio and there's snow on the ground so idk. Also I could probable get like 20 gallons of ro water and store in in my basement it will be in the dark all day so it will probably be fine.

inside heat and humidity plays a big roll too, easy enough to work out how much the tank evaporates daily, then work out the size of reservoir to suit your needs.

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also 1. we should make a group called the cube gang. 2. The lfs's canisters are sealed with a lid.
seriously there is a lot of wb 20s here. also if u are so close to a lfs that has water and all go for it. Im in a spot where nearest sw lfs is 30-40 and the good ones are like hr or more so i just buy it and mix here.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is like 20 minutes away and have 5 coral tanks and a hole wall full of fish. The other one i go to is for my fw tank... Its a reck but I will post pics if you want. but the fw store is an hour away and is super expensive but they have a lot of quality stuff.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well on the way to Florida for a vaca My mom informed me that were stopping in Nashville and that she signed me up for a behind the tour of https://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/aquariumNashville/dining.asp I'm looking at the pics and I am loving the idea. Btw the tour is lead by a marine biologist and I get to disect a a squid.

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question on powerheads. Do I keep them on at night? And best placement for best flow?
yes keep them on all night. some people who have programming will turn them lower but i have mine on same mode 24/7 reefcrest. i have mine on opposite ends of tank and a little off from each other

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes keep them on all night. some people who have programming will turn them lower but i have mine on same mode 24/7 reefcrest. i have mine on opposite ends of tank and a little off from each other
I have the hydor power head. I don't know the model but its pretty big. Right now I have it under the return nozzle it that a good place to have it?

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ordered my life shapes rock and Carib sea sand. Thank you @bulkreefsupply for the 5$ promo code! The rock and sand will be here on Thursday. Ill scape on that day and go get the water on Friday. Any one have a good testing kit that is cheap?

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally ordered my life shapes rock and Carib sea sand. Thank you @bulkreefsupply for the 5$ promo code! The rock and sand will be here on Thursday. Ill scape on that day and go get the water on Friday. Any one have a good testing kit that is cheap?
Sadly there is no "cheap" in this hobby lol. I have api for the basic ph, nitrate/trite, and ammonia. Red Sea for alk, mag, phos, and cal. Refractometer for salinity. I word from someone who has learned the hard way, I would go with Hanna testers for some of these, more expensive but better in long run. Bulk Reef does have red sea testers in 3 packs i believe

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly there is no "cheap" in this hobby lol. I have api for the basic ph, nitrate/trite, and ammonia. Red Sea for alk, mag, phos, and cal. Refractometer for salinity. I word from someone who has learned the hard way, I would go with Hanna testers for some of these, more expensive but better in long run. Bulk Reef does have red sea testers in 3 packs i believe
Yeah I probably will go with api because I've used them before.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wet

Attachments

• 83CF7E5A-4288-4B4F-B5F1-A4019A34CA6F.jpeg
    83CF7E5A-4288-4B4F-B5F1-A4019A34CA6F.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 36

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back