Waterbox Frag 165.6 not level, gap on 2 corner, customer support tell me it's "normal"?!?

John734

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I still have them, still up and running (both purchased within the last year) I have the 100.3 reef and 105.4 frag.
But no doubt Glasscages is my next tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching your #4 video again and you mentioning that the self-levelling mat is on the bottom of the tank, I really have to think the issue may be with your stand. Perhaps it's been adjusted too high in the center and a bit lower on the sides such that you're getting a very slight bowed effect? If you've already drained the tank you really don't have much to lose at this point other than the time to remove it from the stand and re-install. It also might be something you could adjust while the tank is in-place?

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my Red Sea Reefer 750XXL, and I can just barely insert a piece of paper between the bottom of the glass and the self-levelling mat along the edges and corners (maybe 0.125-0.375" at most). I don't think I could insert a sheet of paper in as far as you have on your corners, but as these are different manufacturers this should be used as a very loose reference (only). And when I say "barely", I mean I had to jiggle it back and forth to get it to slide even a bit in.

As others have mentioned, I'd really look at your stand. I don't have any experience with Waterbox stands, but I can't help but think that if you have some alignment issues with the doors that this might indicate a slight problem elsewhere in the stand (I could certainly be wrong).

It's unfortunate about the scratch (it obviously sucks to miss something), but I don't think Waterbox's policy re: not catching it on delivery and documenting it from the outset is going to vary substantially from other manufacturers. I don't know about your tank, but my Red Sea arrived packaged in a wooden crate on a pallet - and the stand was in pieces along the sides and bottom. The sump and various plumbing components were all in the tank itself. All things considered, with the faint 1/4" scratch on the bottom right corner (which you honestly can't see unless you put your face up to it) and the few minor nicks in the black vinyl (which can be easily covered with electrical tape) - I probably got off lightly. This could've happened during packaging. It's also entirely possible that these were caused during the move/setup when the tank was unwrapped.

My LFS just became a Waterbox dealer after my Red Sea went in, and in hindsight I was questioning if I made the better choice going with Red Sea. Reading about your experience has reinforced my decision. This isn't an endorsement of Red Sea as I know there are many aquarists that have had issues with certain tanks and stands.
I thought red sea was bad, they are actually pretty good at this point. If you look at BBB page, you'll know what I mean.
I'm currently taking all the sticker that covers the fastener screws and check if they are all tight up, they are all good.
Found the interior (black piece) supporting panel are in poor shape, I can see some small bulge and and some pvc or skin that's slightly cracked where 2 piece join. the outside panel are fine, just some overspray which is not a big deal. I'm suspecting it's the combination of the tank and the stand that's making the gap so big. If it's less than 3mm it should be taking care by the leveling mat.

My 450 gallon main display from Miracle Aquarium was sitting on a 2x10 diy wood stand, I'm pretty sure it's not perfectly level, or the perfect alignment, I can't even slide a tiniest bit of paper under the tank. And I have a thin foam, even thinner than waterbox under the tank.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It there's a small bulge in the center of the stand that might explain a lot of issues. Was it pre-assembled at the factory or your LFS? I mean, it could also be the tank - or a combination of the tank + stand (as you suggest). Hopefully it's something you can possibly address yourself.

Yeah, as I said - feeling really good about my v3 750XXL right now...

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a WB10 to evaluate whether I'd consider a large WB tank. The first WB10 I received was missing silicone in the rear chambers and had a similar issue with the leveling mat where there were clear air bubbles, like there was no glue on that part of the mat or something. My replacement WB10 had all the silicone intact, but the mat was even worse looking and it was an open box, the return nozzle package had been opened already. Needless to say, I was not thrilled with the quality control at Waterbox.

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It there's a small bulge in the center of the stand that might explain a lot of issues. Was it pre-assembled at the factory or your LFS? I mean, it could also be the tank - or a combination of the tank + stand (as you suggest). Hopefully it's something you can possibly address yourself.

Yeah, as I said - feeling really good about my v3 750XXL right now...
It's just the skin that has small bulge, finish is not as good as red sea if you look closely. The mat is around 5mm thick. There are also some tiny bubble on the bottom seam on the right side of the tank... and on the left as well. every time I look at the tank I'll find more issue...... I'll post some updated pictures when my wife come back

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a WB10 to evaluate whether I'd consider a large WB tank. The first WB10 I received was missing silicone in the rear chambers and had a similar issue with the leveling mat where there were clear air bubbles, like there was no glue on that part of the mat or something. My replacement WB10 had all the silicone intact, but the mat was even worse looking and it was an open box, the return nozzle package had been opened already. Needless to say, I was not thrilled with the quality control at Waterbox.

Yes I have something like 10 of these bubbles on the bottom of my tank. And the customer support told me it's totally "NORMAL" again

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have a small WB 35.2g, and I can't slide a piece of paper into the corner of my tank between the mat and the stand or the mat and the tank. Mine has been sitting on the Waterbox stand filled with water for a little over 30 days if that helps you.

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still haven't answer my simple question: does the bottom panel of the glass need to be uniformly supported?
Still waiting

Attachments

• customer.jpg
    customer.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles, there are smaller one on the left side as well
Tank and water weight at around 1300 LBS on top of the foam, it was way worse when it's empty

bubble1.jpg bubble2.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have something like 10 of these bubbles on the bottom of my tank. And the customer support told me it's totally "NORMAL" again

It's clearly normal for them. It looks like crap though. I mean, come on, they know darn well how popular bare bottom is these days:

WB10 bubble.jpg

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's clearly normal for them. It looks like crap though. I mean, come on, they know darn well how popular bare bottom is these days:

WB10 bubble.jpg
You did the right thing about ordering a smaller tank first. Otherwise you are like me stuck with a subpar tank like me. The customer support don't even respond anything to me after I started this thread.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have variances on my self-levelling mat as well. I’m not sure if you’d term them as “bubbles”, but there are differences in color and texture as well as spots where the tank is depressed more than others. But yes - if I was going with a bare bottom tank it would probably look a tad unsightly.

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have variances on my self-levelling mat as well. I’m not sure if you’d term them as “bubbles”, but there are differences in color and texture as well as spots where the tank is depressed more than others. But yes - if I was going with a bare bottom tank it would probably look a tad unsightly.
I have no problem with it but I'm suspecting that it has something to do with the gap. The leveling mat is a lot harder than the red sea one.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thankfully I received my waterbox last year. Took 3 months !
Tank is fine the stand I'm so surprised it holds the tank like someone said it is basically ikea.
I would not buy another waterbox because of the customer service while waiting for the tank I had no updates emails and questions were not answered or answered in a quick note with no real information.
That was very frustrating

OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a closer look with my wife, removed all the doors, found more problems.
1. I put the stand sideway so I can access the bottom to check out the fasteners, they are okay. But the pvc skin beside every foot has separated from the plywood due to stress. I have a feeling that the plywood is kind of soft and not dense enough.
2. The right side of the tank has developed quite a few bubbles probably due to lack of support, that's only 7 days with water inside the tank!

feet1.JPG feet2.JPG seambubble1.JPG seambubble2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
IceRain29

IceRain29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Center beam on top and bottom have a bit of peeling as well

Attachments

• stand1.JPG
    stand1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 102
  • stand2.JPG
    stand2.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 123

evergreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to talk to the dealer that sold it to you ? Otherwise I would suggest doing a chargeback with your credit card.. thank god I went with innovative marine for my 170G- it’s perfect and their customer service is top notch.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back