Waterbox just dropped the biggest rimless tank!

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming in between 7 and 8k depending on tax, shipping, and what not that is a whole lot of custom tank that could be had. It looks great and all but I personally would pass.

I love that there pushing the boundary and the metal stand and water proof panels are nice. but yeah that is a lot of money for a 7 foot tank. for that kind of money i would go with a 8-10 footer glass cages with polish euro bracing, stand ,custom life reef sump and skimmer and still have money for lighting.

that said if I won one or had a bigger budget I would get one.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming in between 7 and 8k depending on tax, shipping, and what not that is a whole lot of custom tank that could be had. It looks great and all but I personally would pass.
This is sooooo true! My dream tank is a 300g+ 8’ 30” wide reef. I’ve priced it at around 10k minus equipment and I would so much more happy with a custom tank than this imo.

Although it is beautiful

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sure don't give many details on their site.
At a minimum the dimensions would be nice.
I'm sure it's 3/4" glass.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they added 2- 3/4" bottom panels. I am guessing that will help with bowing.

And I'm sure the dimensions they use to calculate the volume go to the outside of the bottom panel

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that there pushing the boundary and the metal stand and water proof panels are nice. but yeah that is a lot of money for a 7 foot tank. for that kind of money i would go with a 8-10 footer glass cages with polish euro bracing, stand ,custom life reef sump and skimmer and still have money for lighting.

that said if I won one or had a bigger budget I would get one.

It is rather funny, just a couple years ago when Red Sea came out with the 750s it was everyone's complaint that it just wasn't big enough and these mass manufactured tank companies really should be looking at producing tanks in the 8 foot range. And now we are here with a tank that's pretty close and everyone's saying that it's too expensive and you'd be better off going custom ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious There's just no winning :p

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is rather funny, just a couple years ago when Red Sea came out with the 750s it was everyone's complaint that it just wasn't big enough and these mass manufactured tank companies really should be looking at producing tanks in the 8 foot range. And now we are here with a tank that's pretty close and everyone's saying that it's too expensive and you'd be better off going custom ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious There's just no winning :p

yeah right, we all are a bunch of whiners :p I am curious to see how this do in sales. hope they dont have any issues like the 750 did. but i dont think they will as they said they worked on it for 2 years. in that time RS 750 where having all the issues I bet they was very aware of that.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank itself is only 232 gallons.

Those dimensions would be cheaper at a lot of other custom builders.
And yes many do have rimless that big, and bigger.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" high rimless, trimless tank, yeah I still think that's risky long term but that's just me. Already with there specs in typical waterbox fashion we see questionable numbers...

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd be most concerned about the fact that it is a 7+ foot rimless tank. There's a reason why the vast majority of custom tank builders would never build a rimless tank this size. It does look pretty slick though :)
Agree. Love the look but even my 4’ I think is little big rimless.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12ft rimless from Custom Aquariums going on 2 years. If it leaks, you'll hear about it :)
20201106_170343.jpg
That's 3/4" glass all the way around, right?
I've been looking HARD at 200-ish rimless tanks and been repeatedly told that problems can arise with 5/8"/16mm or less glass thickness on 6'+ sizes.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's 3/4" glass all the way around, right?
I've been looking HARD at 200-ish rimless tanks and been repeatedly told that problems can arise with 5/8"/16mm or less glass thickness on 6'+ sizes.
Yes, 3/4 all around. If I had to do it again, I would go for an inch or two of eurobracing. Mainly because I have had maybe 8 cool fish jump in the last 2 years and 90% of jumps happen at the edges (I refuse to have a full lid). Also splashing when using a mag scraper gets old.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
12ft rimless from Custom Aquariums going on 2 years. If it leaks, you'll hear about it :)
20201106_170343.jpg

That looks gorgeous!

The problem with rimless is generally not the length but more a height or a ratio of length to height.

People build rimless raceway tanks all the time.

How tall is yours?

That said, looking at your water level I don't envy your cleaning routine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back