Waterbox just dropped the biggest rimless tank!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Wow...you must've had it for a while, or glass prices have more than doubled, because I just got a quote from Planet, through Dallas North Aquariums, for a tank 70x30x24, no stand, for $7,200.

Now, that's crazy. Because I was recently getting quotes for 82x32x24 and I didnt come close to your price.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that there pushing the boundary and the metal stand and water proof panels are nice. but yeah that is a lot of money for a 7 foot tank. for that kind of money i would go with a 8-10 footer glass cages with polish euro bracing, stand ,custom life reef sump and skimmer and still have money for lighting.

that said if I won one or had a bigger budget I would get one.
we can do a 12 foot low rimless..... just saying.

Billy Danz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, that's crazy. Because I was recently getting quotes for 82x32x24 and I didnt come close to your price.
Really?? How much was your quote? Then it has to be a case of each LFS adding their "cut" to the price of the tank to facilitate the sale since you can't just order directly from Planet. Which LFS did you use to get your quote? Because if you got a lower quote for a larger sized tank, I will go through them ASAP! Read the quote I received below.......

Message Body:
Here is the Planet Aquariums reef tank I created at DFW Aquarium.com.

The aquarium requirements are as follows:

Length: 70" (1800.86mm) inches
Width: 30" (762mm) inches
Height: 24 inches
Exact Dimensions: true

Silicone Color: Black Silicone
Trim Style: Rimless
Glass Edges: Flat Polish
Glass Type: Low Iron Glass
Glass Position (Low Iron Only) Front / Ends

Vinyl Color: Black
Vinyl Position: Back Only
Tank Type: Reef
Glass Top: No

Metal Stand: None
Stand Length: 70.9" (1800.86mm) inches
Stand Width: 30" (762mm) inches
Stand Height: inches

Overflow Style: Tideline External
If Custom Placement:

Overflow Holes:
If Custom Holes:

Bulk Head Drain: 1"
Bulk Head Return: 3/4"
Plumbing Kit: No
PVC Bottom: Yes

With Low iron glass this tank is $7,200.00

With standard glass, it is $4,000.00

Sean Crawford – General Manager
[email protected]
Dallas North Aquarium

2910 East Trinity Mills Carrollton, TX 75006
Phone: (972) 492-6165 Fax: (972) 416-7205
www.DallasNorthAquarium.com

Last edited:

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @JoshH and many others said, you can go with a custom builder and pay less. I paid less then half for my 340 gallon tank and acrylic sump. :)

00D65C34-448F-4E6F-BC6D-B0C665CBA130.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really?? How much was your quote? Then it has to be a case of each LFS adding their "cut" to the price of the tank to facilitate the sale since you can't just order directly from Planet. Which LFS did you use to get your quote? Because if you got a lower quote for a larger sized tank, I will go through them ASAP! Read the quote I received below.......

Message Body:
Here is the Planet Aquariums reef tank I created at DFW Aquarium.com.

The aquarium requirements are as follows:

Length: 70" (1800.86mm) inches
Width: 30" (762mm) inches
Height: 24 inches
Exact Dimensions: true

Silicone Color: Black Silicone
Trim Style: Rimless
Glass Edges: Flat Polish
Glass Type: Low Iron Glass
Glass Position (Low Iron Only) Front / Ends

Vinyl Color: Black
Vinyl Position: Back Only
Tank Type: Reef
Glass Top: No

Metal Stand: None
Stand Length: 70.9" (1800.86mm) inches
Stand Width: 30" (762mm) inches
Stand Height: inches

Overflow Style: Tideline External
If Custom Placement:

Overflow Holes:
If Custom Holes:

Bulk Head Drain: 1"
Bulk Head Return: 3/4"
Plumbing Kit: No
PVC Bottom: Yes

dang that does sound high. contact @joe@glasscages for a quote. they have really be making some great tanks and stepping up there game as of late. if a had "permission" and my floor would hold 2 large tanks I would be getting there 300 or 10' 340.

good luck man!

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was the reef savvy with a stand too? The aluminum stands are not cheap.
This! It seems as though nobody is taking into consideration the price of the stand. Everyone is quoting the price of a custom tank and totally omitting the price of a custom aluminum stand which will easily cost several hundred dollars. At least! You're probably looking at closer to 1k for a stand that size.

They also include plumbing, bulkheads, etc. Not much but an expense and labor (cutting, measuring, gluing PVC) you don't have to deal with.

Last edited:

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote was without the stand...but I'm talking about premium pricing that falls within the top shelf build quality realm of Reef Savvy. If I'm looking at a 6+ grand price tag, I'll go with a Reef Savvy, accept the build lead times, and just have an aluminum stand built. They're hundreds of machine shops and frame builders across the country that can easily build a stand for a fish tank...or one can just buy the extruded aluminum components from a place like 80/20 if capable of DIY. Devin from Reef Dudes showed how easy it was to use 15 series aluminum beams to build his floating light fixture...same could be done to build a stand. Either way, for 6+ grand, I'd go with a Reef Savvy all day and easily figure out the stand equation. Waterbox is just now stepping into the extra large, non-euro-braced tank game....and we now know about the Red Sea XXL750 stand issues leading to tank failures...we have yet to see how the large WB tanks will hold up. You won't have to 'wait and see' how a Reef Savvy holds up....and at a 6 to 7 grand price range...I don't expect to have to wait and see for anything negative to happen. That's my opinion on it anyway....
You say it as if any Joe Schmo can build an aluminum stand to support that size tank for a couple hundred bucks. I think you'd be surprised what an aluminum (or metal) stand that size would cost.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stand looks similar to cades design, and I would rather pay extra for this setup than the smaller/cheaper redsea setup, which might explode like their other models
To let you know, Red Sea has fixed the issues with their stands and tanks. No more "explode" issues.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! It seems as though nobody is taking into consideration the price of the stand. Everyone is quoting the price of a custom tank and totally omitting the price of a custom aluminum stand which will easily cost several hundred dollars. At least! You're probably looking at closer to 1k for a stand that size.

They also include plumbing, bulkheads, etc. Not much but an expense and labor (cutting, measuring, gluing PVC) you don't have to deal with.

yeah stand are not cheap for sure. and plumbing does add up quick then like you said time and energy just to make all the decisions. there is a place for PNP set ups for sure.

altho I got a RS 650 that has taken me months to set up guess I am slow as I redid the plumbing anyway...haha

these Wb tank are nice if you have the money i would totally get one .

anyone out there have there tank yet form WB BF sale??

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on the Reef LX 320 a month ago and have no idea when it will be ready. My first cookie cutter tank im both nervous and excited. Ive dealt with custom eurobraced tanks and never had an issue. Personally I would rather a eurobraced than a rimless, less spill and less fish jumping out. I got quotes from a few reputable companies and the prices were crazy, even worse is there manufacturing time. One guy told me 8 months the least was 3 months. I think Waterbox did a pretty good job with this one, it wouldve been perfect if it was 36in and eurobraced. I like that they went with the actual company starfire rather than using any low iron glass.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger on the Reef LX 320 a month ago and have no idea when it will be ready. My first cookie cutter tank im both nervous and excited. Ive dealt with custom eurobraced tanks and never had an issue. Personally I would rather a eurobraced than a rimless, less spill and less fish jumping out. I got quotes from a few reputable companies and the prices were crazy, even worse is there manufacturing time. One guy told me 8 months the least was 3 months. I think Waterbox did a pretty good job with this one, it wouldve been perfect if it was 36in and eurobraced. I like that they went with the actual company starfire rather than using any low iron glass.

heck yeah man! its gonna be a beast of a tank post some pics when you get it. what are they saying is the lead time on it these days?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nice system. As others have said a bit overpriced but you can probably set this tank up in a few hours and be running that day.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You say it as if any Joe Schmo can build an aluminum stand to support that size tank for a couple hundred bucks. I think you'd be surprised what an aluminum (or metal) stand that size would cost.

Properly designed stand for a tank this size will run you 1000-1200, that said, it's much beefier than what these guys make.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Lead time is certainly a problem for some. I waited 7 months for what was supposed to be less than 3 but then again i was in NO rush, the tank came in, and now I'm waiting for overflows.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back