Waterbox Marine 70.3 Mixed reef

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A build thread for my 70 gallon tank I started recently. I want to try to take my time and get great results. I have made some modifications to the sump & standard plumbing to fit my Clairsea Fleece roller.
The tank was cycled with Fritz turbo start 900. Currently running fallow as my fish are in QT.

IMG_4543.JPG

Thinking about putting a couple chairs in the corner there for viewing.

IMG_4556.JPG

I cut out the first baffle in the sump with some dental floss between the silicone. Next I moved it over to the right and measured enough space for my filter roller (boo filter socks...boo)
Im not the best with silicone but it holds water. I used the aquarium safe silicone BRS sells.

Build:

Tank:

The tank is a Waterbox Marine 70.3 - 55 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. (approximate)
75lbs of Caribsea liferock
20lbs of Fiji pink live sand laid out in a shallow sand bed (.5 inches)
4 oz bottle of Fritz Turbo Start
Microbacter XLM
Microbacter Clean

Aquascape:

Originally I wanted a "cliff" overhanging a large drop, but in the end decided I can use the space better. I got my cliff and I believe also a great secondary structure for coral. It fits along my mixed reef goals to have a mid - level platform on both ends for acros, and LPS in the bottom to mid section.

IMG_4551.JPG

IMG_4553.JPG

IMG_4568.JPG

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

Water:

7 Stage BRS RODI 100GPD filter
32 gallon brute trashcan
10 gallon dog treat container (emergency water storage)
Tropic Marin pro reef salt - 35ppt

ATO:

XPAqua Duetto

Heater:

BRS 150-Watt titanium heater + controller
set @ 77.5 degrees F

Lighting:

For lighting I decided I'm going to go with 2x - Ecotech Marine G5 XR15 Pros ( I haven't purchased yet as I wanted to cycle without lighting )

Flow:

For the return I'm using a Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump - simple and it works
For in display flow I'll be using two AI Nero 5s - currently one in the display

Filtration:

I installed a Clarisea rollermat (SK-5000) as I did not want to deal with washing/ replacing filter socks. I also wanted to build the tank to be able to run for some time without intervention.
To do this I had to modify my sump by cutting out the first baffle and moving it to the right a few inches.

I boiled some water, put the end of the clear PVC into the boiling water and stuck a piece of hard PVC into the now softened tube. The clear tube slowly cooled and shrunk around the PVC so tightly I don't think it'll ever come off, but I strapped three zip ties around it anyway. Next, I had to cut the return line to accommodate a flex PVC section and glued it to the return. The hard piece of PVC was glued to a union so that I could disconnect the filter roller in the case that the need arises.

IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4561.JPG

IMG_4562.JPG

Protein Skimmer:

The protein skimmer is a S-130 by ReefOctopus - It took me a while to decide on this and it took almost 3 weeks for this skimmer to break in. The whole time I was worried that I had chosen a skimmer that was too large, but now it has finally calmed down and doesn't overflow constantly. It is sitting on a food grade strainer of some type I found in the kitchen pantry. ( needed to be emptied when I took photos)

IMG_4559.JPG

Co2 Scrubber/ Carbon Filter before intake of protein skimmer:

Our household uses fragrances often - this is the best way I could think to "clean the air" before it was fed into my skimmer and makes contact with my water.

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

Chemical filtration:

I'm going to be dosing Tropic Marin Bacto-Balance to control nitrates.

Biological Filtration:

3 boxes of marine pure spheres in the sump.

Automation and ease-of-use:

I have my essential life support and aux devices hooked up to a KASA smart power strip by TP-LINK. This allows me to control, measure power consumption, schedule, and alarm anything plugged into the strip. The "poor mans apex" - haha. seriously though I love this power strip.

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

I hooked up some low profile IKEA lights to make working under the stand easier, powered by a simple switch attached to the wall of the cabinet. I really crammed as much stuff as I could into the cabinet. I might have to start using the doors next to affix kit.

So far it's been fun. My next update will probably be showing my QT tank and fish.

Please let me know what you think - or if you have suggestions.

Thanks!

frankiecruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you liked your clarisea roller mat I was thinking of getting one and I also have a 70.3

frankiecruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mat has been fantastic, no complaints. Did you end up getting yours?
I haven’t gotten one because my tank already has water in it and I’d be worried to mess with the seams in the sump. Does the roller mat have to be directly connected to the plumbing or can I buy like a small sicce pump and just put it in the back chamber of my sump

OP
OP
MuscleBobBuffPants

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t gotten one because my tank already has water in it and I’d be worried to mess with the seams in the sump. Does the roller mat have to be directly connected to the plumbing or can I buy like a small sicce pump and just put it in the back chamber of my sump
Yeah so what I did was turn off my return, move my heater to the display and then drained my sump of all the water. I cut the first baffle out with some floss/string and moved it a few inches so it could fit the filter roller and then re siliconed it in place. I used the reef safe silicone from BRS.
It stayed dry for 1 day and then I built all the stuff back up, attached the drain line to the filter roller and tuned it. It was really not that bad. I suppose you could do the pump method but that’s two return pumps that you’d have to put in your sump.

frankiecruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so what I did was turn off my return, move my heater to the display and then drained my sump of all the water. I cut the first baffle out with some floss/string and moved it a few inches so it could fit the filter roller and then re siliconed it in place. I used the reef safe silicone from BRS.
It stayed dry for 1 day and then I built all the stuff back up, attached the drain line to the filter roller and tuned it. It was really not that bad. I suppose you could do the pump method but that’s two return pumps that you’d have to put in your sump.
I might just do the pump method because I already have an extra one and it simply seems easier lol if I get the clari sea I’ll definitely try it out cause washing filter socks every few days sucks

OP
OP
MuscleBobBuffPants

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just do the pump method because I already have an extra one and it simply seems easier lol if I get the clari sea I’ll definitely try it out cause washing filter socks every few days sucks
Where are you thinking of placing the Clarisea? In the main chamber ?

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back