Waterbox Marine 90x - First Salt Water Tank in 27 years! Glad to be back! WOW have things changed! LOL

Ronajames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank in 27 years. I just got back into the hobby as an aquarists. WOW have things changed since the early 90s!! Anyway, I did a little research and was torn between Waterbox and RedReef... I chose Waterbox Marine 90x and so far I'm happy but I do like the new RedReef packages that are now out (of course) that have all in one package setups with sump with ReefMat. Anyone have any good advice on the Reef Mat vs. Filter Socks?, etc... Regardless, its too late as I dove into a Marine 90X (to start my first tank back in). Its now been 9 months and I am off an running. I am still learning and watching a lot of YouTube videos. I purchased a Nyos Skimmer, a Vor Tec Power Heads, Vor Tec Battery Backup (x 2), Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump (WiFi), XP Aqua ATO, dual Aqua-Illumination 16HD. I constructed a 300-gallon mixing tank in my garage with an RO/DI unit with pump and line for water changes. I also installed an Aqua UV and mounted it above my pump return line (also new to me from 27 years ago).

I started off with Dr. Tims to get the cycle started that ended up taking only 15 days to fully cycle (over 6 months ago). That was new to me and to be honest, I did not believe it and thought it was snake oil but I tried it (after watching hours of YouTube cycle Dr. Tim videos online). Back in my day, we added old shrimp chunks and dosed the tank daily to raise up the ammonia to get the cycle rolling. The tank ended up looking like a toilet at Yankee Stadium in the 7th inning if I recall. Anyway, it worked!!! :)

The challenging thing for me initially was several things...

1) Test Kits? Things changed so much since I was in the hoppy over 20-years ago. Everyone on line and the folks at Mr. Saltwater Tank, Dr. Tims, etc... etc.. all have their own opinion. I ended up purchasing Red Reef Algae kit, and all Hannah Kits for Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium and Alkalinity. There are pros and cons in my opinion, but I like the precise measurements. I purchased a digital PH Meter, Salifert Iodine Test Kit and a Hannah Salinity Tester (my favorite item of all and so much better than a Refractometer in my opinion).

I had some hiccups trying to get my Nitrate levels down at times (below 1-3ppm) .

I have not dove into easy corals yet (cant wait) and was waiting on getting my chemistry spot on before I dove into that arena as I am still getting my arms wet so to speak.

I have the following fish so far (90 gallons with Sump):
1) Power Blue Tang
2) Coral Beauty
3) 2 clowns (including a tomato)
4) Fox Face
5) Long tentacle anemone
6) 2 Damsels (Blue and Striped) [starter fish]

I was having issues getting my nitrates below 10ppm (running 6-8) on average. I dosed my tank with RedReef NO3/PO4 Algae Control (Basically alcohol). 1 to 2ml/day was trick. My Nitrate is now less than 1ppm for the last month but my Phosphates are still a little high (0.08 ppm).

So, I was considering purchasing a Nyos Media Reactor (or something better) in prep for corals to be added to balance the water chemistry (reduce Phosphates as I am told) and a dosing pump.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the following?

1) What is a good media reactor and will it reduce or manage phosphates/nitrates for coral addition/growth? If not, what do the pros suggest? Do I really need one and if so, what do I purchase?
2) What is a good dosing pump system for Waterbox 90x or something that will fit my Waterbox Sump system (will post photos)? I sure like the RedReef system but that will have to wait ...I see Waterbox just came out with a Marine 90DX with new sump layout that has this option (of course after my purchase! :(..)

Like I said, I enjoy reading everyone's progress and lesson's learned. I have gained so much knowledge just reading and hanging around my local fish store on a Saturday asking questions. I am blown away how much has changed over the past 27 years! There is even fake live Rock, live Sand (unbelievable) and CaribSea LifeRock (which I purchased)... WOW! LOL

Anyway, any insight from you experts and hobbyist regarding the above and what I should do before I add corals would be most appreciative.

Thanks everyone! Glad to be back! Now the fish tank gods take my paycheck on Fridays instead of the golf course! LOL

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank in 27 years. I just got back into the hobby as an aquarists. WOW have things changed since the early 90s!! Anyway, I did a little research and was torn between Waterbox and RedReef... I chose Waterbox Marine 90x and so far I'm happy but I do like the new RedReef packages that are now out (of course) that have all in one package setups with sump with ReefMat. Anyone have any good advice on the Reef Mat vs. Filter Socks?, etc... Regardless, its too late as I dove into a Marine 90X (to start my first tank back in). Its now been 9 months and I am off an running. I am still learning and watching a lot of YouTube videos. I purchased a Nyos Skimmer, a Vor Tec Power Heads, Vor Tec Battery Backup (x 2), Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 return pump (WiFi), XP Aqua ATO, dual Aqua-Illumination 16HD. I constructed a 300-gallon mixing tank in my garage with an RO/DI unit with pump and line for water changes. I also installed an Aqua UV and mounted it above my pump return line (also new to me from 27 years ago).

I started off with Dr. Tims to get the cycle started that ended up taking only 15 days to fully cycle (over 6 months ago). That was new to me and to be honest, I did not believe it and thought it was snake oil but I tried it (after watching hours of YouTube cycle Dr. Tim videos online). Back in my day, we added old shrimp chunks and dosed the tank daily to raise up the ammonia to get the cycle rolling. The tank ended up looking like a toilet at Yankee Stadium in the 7th inning if I recall. Anyway, it worked!!! :)

The challenging thing for me initially was several things...

1) Test Kits? Things changed so much since I was in the hoppy over 20-years ago. Everyone on line and the folks at Mr. Saltwater Tank, Dr. Tims, etc... etc.. all have their own opinion. I ended up purchasing Red Reef Algae kit, and all Hannah Kits for Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium and Alkalinity. There are pros and cons in my opinion, but I like the precise measurements. I purchased a digital PH Meter, Salifert Iodine Test Kit and a Hannah Salinity Tester (my favorite item of all and so much better than a Refractometer in my opinion).

I had some hiccups trying to get my Nitrate levels down at times (below 1-3ppm) .

I have not dove into easy corals yet (cant wait) and was waiting on getting my chemistry spot on before I dove into that arena as I am still getting my arms wet so to speak.

I have the following fish so far (90 gallons with Sump):
1) Power Blue Tang
2) Coral Beauty
3) 2 clowns (including a tomato)
4) Fox Face
5) Long tentacle anemone
6) 2 Damsels (Blue and Striped) [starter fish]

I was having issues getting my nitrates below 10ppm (running 6-8) on average. I dosed my tank with RedReef NO3/PO4 Algae Control (Basically alcohol). 1 to 2ml/day was trick. My Nitrate is now less than 1ppm for the last month but my Phosphates are still a little high (0.08 ppm).

So, I was considering purchasing a Nyos Media Reactor (or something better) in prep for corals to be added to balance the water chemistry (reduce Phosphates as I am told) and a dosing pump.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the following?

1) What is a good media reactor and will it reduce or manage phosphates/nitrates for coral addition/growth? If not, what do the pros suggest? Do I really need one and if so, what do I purchase?
2) What is a good dosing pump system for Waterbox 90x or something that will fit my Waterbox Sump system (will post photos)? I sure like the RedReef system but that will have to wait ...I see Waterbox just came out with a Marine 90DX with new sump layout that has this option (of course after my purchase! :(..)

Like I said, I enjoy reading everyone's progress and lesson's learned. I have gained so much knowledge just reading and hanging around my local fish store on a Saturday asking questions. I am blown away how much has changed over the past 27 years! There is even fake live Rock, live Sand (unbelievable) and CaribSea LifeRock (which I purchased)... WOW! LOL

Anyway, any insight from you experts and hobbyist regarding the above and what I should do before I add corals would be most appreciative.

Thanks everyone! Glad to be back! Now the fish tank gods take my paycheck on Fridays instead of the golf course! LOL
Sounds like a great setup! As far as media reactors, I just run carbon in a BRS mini-reactor (my tank is only 40g but they have a regular size reactor) For dosing I use BRS 1.1ml/min pumps. Nothing fancy here but it works! As far as nitrates, IME the best level depends on what you plan for your tank. SPS need low nitrates but LPS/softie corals like higher numbers (eg 5-10ppm) I’ve also found that letting nitrates and phosphates zero out can cause all sorts of problems, so I always keep mine above zero. Good luck and keep us posted!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back