Waterbox Marine AIO 40.2 Build (by ingchr1)

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed two slide out shelves. I got them from Shelves That Slide (https://www.shelvesthatslide.com/).

The top one is their economy shelf with dimensions of 21 3/4" wide and 20 1/4" deep. There are 1/2" spacers on the hinge side of the cabinet.

The bottom one is their premium shelf with dimensions of 21 1/8" wide and 21 3/4" deep. It is base mounted.

The shelves fit just right, I measured several times before ordering. The bottom shelf is a hair too wide though and I had to remove the snap on cover on the door hinge for it to fit parallel.

The price of the shelves is good along with the quality. The shipping hurt a little as they had to come from AZ to NY. I called them with a question and they were very helpful over the phone. I'm very happy with the way they came out.

I got the top shelf less deep to allow more space for cables. The top shelf is for electrical while the bottom is for anything else. The top shelf is like a computer keyboard tray while the bottom has some depth to it to contain anything that may get spilled.

They came white, so I sprayed them with black appliance epoxy.

Slide Out.jpg

Slide Outs.jpg

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I have all the electrical setup. For redundancy I split the equipment between two Powerbars.

P4 (Powerbar 5.1)

Permanent Socket - UPS - Plugged into the UPS are the P4 and Tunze Osmolator. We have an automatic generator so the UPS only needs to ride through until the generator comes on (<1min).
S1 - Primary Heater - Eheim 125W controlled by the P4
S2 - Return Pump #1 - Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5
S3 - Powerhead #1 - Tunze 6040 functions controlled by it's own controller
S4 - Skimmer - Tunze 9004 DC functions controlled by it's own controller
S5 - Cooling Fans - GHL Propellerbreeze

P4 (Powerbar 5.1) Tripp Lite 7 Socket Switched (Link to post on the change)

Permanent Socket - Power loss monitor to P4
S1 - Backup Heater - Eheim 125W controlled by the P4
S2 - Return Pump #2 - Sicce Syncra Silent 0.5
S3 - Powerhead #2 - Tunze 6040 functions controlled by it's own controller
S4 - Light - GHL Mitras LX7
S5 - Ground Probe

The wiring was a bit to manage, especially all the power adapters. Looks a little worse in the photos then it really is. I may try some improvements in the future.

The Tunze power adapters mounted on the top of the cabinet are plugged into 1' extension cords. With the way the prongs are on those they would cover up one or more outlets.

FTS 1-21-19.jpg

Cabinet Door Controllers.jpg

Cabinet Upper Shelf.jpg

Cabinet Tunze Plugs.jpg

Last edited:

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your build. I am also thinking about getting aio 40.2, but im concerned that mainenance will be a little more involved because of not having a refugium.

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your build. I am also thinking about getting aio 40.2, but im concerned that mainenance will be a little more involved because of not having a refugium.
I'm new and don't have refugium experience, but you may be able to do something in the back with an inTank basket.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorr i meant sump instead of refugium. thanks

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that an AIO would be more to maintain than a tank with a sump. What do you think will be more to maintain?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! And I hope you’re kicking back in the Corbeau Racing Seat, admiring your tank!

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is a filter cup replacement that fit in these. From the pics and videos i see, it looks like different size. I think this build pretty mich convinced me this is the tank i want. :)

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there is a filter cup replacement that fit in these. From the pics and videos i see, it looks like different size. I think this build pretty mich convinced me this is the tank i want. :)
The filter socks are 2.75".

Glad this thread was able to help with your decision. Would be nice to see some build threads on them.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter socks are 2.75".

Glad this thread was able to help with your decision. Would be nice to see some build threads on them.

Yeah, exactly how i feel. Not much build thread. Thanks for taking time to share your progress!

ArtsyFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Chris,
I am new to this forum and just discovered your thread regarding your Waterbox tank.
I am new to reef and saltwater setups, but have had freshwater set ups in the past very successfully, but it was years ago. So reef tank build is all new to me. I have been doing lots of research into tank manufacturers and as you, I have been cross referencing the pros and cons of each.
I had considered a custom acrylic tank modeled after the Waterbox 40.2 because of earthquake shakes here in northern, CA, dreading a tank leak or possible collapse (From New York City, where I had my previous tanks), considering all the cost and work that goes into maintaining a successful tank. However, cost wise it is too prohibitive going that route by the time I factor in a stand and all the pumps, filters, ATO, Etc.,especially since I am a newby.
I have decided to just go with glass and not worry about it.
Do you like the quality of the wood stand as it says all wood with laminated finish in the Waterbox website description. Disappointed to read it does not come with a shelf.
Your thread is great and offers a lot of helpful ideas.
In the few months now since your initial build, are you happy with the quality of the tank and it looks like you are able to do a fair amount of customization where one might think it needed.
My home temperatures are identical to yours so I feel good that in tank heaters will work out fine.
Looking forward to more threads from you to see how the tank progresses.
I may buy the tank and stand and any other initial equipment now and wait to set it up in late June since I will be traveling for three weeks beginning early June.
Anthony

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build quality on the is ok but not fantastic. If you do buy one make sure you assemble it right away and get any required replacement parts on order. All 3 of my decorative panels got damaged during shipping or manufacturing as the packing/protection is not super good.
The black hides mfg imperfections better than the white especially the edge seal on the plywood.

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Chris,
I am new to this forum and just discovered your thread regarding your Waterbox tank.
I am new to reef and saltwater setups, but have had freshwater set ups in the past very successfully, but it was years ago. So reef tank build is all new to me. I have been doing lots of research into tank manufacturers and as you, I have been cross referencing the pros and cons of each.
I had considered a custom acrylic tank modeled after the Waterbox 40.2 because of earthquake shakes here in northern, CA, dreading a tank leak or possible collapse (From New York City, where I had my previous tanks), considering all the cost and work that goes into maintaining a successful tank. However, cost wise it is too prohibitive going that route by the time I factor in a stand and all the pumps, filters, ATO, Etc.,especially since I am a newby.
I have decided to just go with glass and not worry about it.
Do you like the quality of the wood stand as it says all wood with laminated finish in the Waterbox website description. Disappointed to read it does not come with a shelf.
Your thread is great and offers a lot of helpful ideas.
In the few months now since your initial build, are you happy with the quality of the tank and it looks like you are able to do a fair amount of customization where one might think it needed.
My home temperatures are identical to yours so I feel good that in tank heaters will work out fine.
Looking forward to more threads from you to see how the tank progresses.
I may buy the tank and stand and any other initial equipment now and wait to set it up in late June since I will be traveling for three weeks beginning early June.
Anthony
I'm happy with the quality of the tank. No issues to speak of. The stand is fine for what it is. The laminate seams like it will hold up.

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed up the electrical a bit. I swapped out the Tripp Lite power strip with another Powerbar 5.1. I already had the extra Powerbar as it came with the P4 Set that bought new from a member in the for sale section. I originally got the Tripp Lite to have my redundant equipment completely separate from the P4. As I've had the P4 longer I don't think the concern is that great to have the extra Powerbar just sitting unused in a box. I do have the outlets on it set to fail on. Which I tested by pulling the PAB (comms) cable and everything stayed on as it should.

The one issue I have with the Powerbars is that the outlets are upside down, hence the Neo-Stat being upside down.

Redundant Powerbar.jpg

OP
OP
ingchr1

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another change I made was to use one of the 125W Eheims that I had as the backup heater instead of a 150W Cobalt Neo-Therm. I thought it better to just keep the Cobalt as a spare on the shelf instead of in the tank.

Back Chamber 3-5-19.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back