Waterbox MARINE X 45.2 (new reefer, tips welcome)

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so my tank is a couple months old now (set it up mid oct) but its still developing.

Specs:
Waterbox MARINE 45.2 (discont'd model...)
-Display tank (35.2) + Sump
Light: Fluval Marine 3.0
Return: Nyos Viper 3.0
Caribsea live sand (I may have added too much?)
Caribsea Life Rock

Below is a picture about 5 weeks after adding water, (pardon the algae). Bonus shot of my female clown bullying the male lol
IMG_6198.jpeg

here is a picture of the sump (I have since realized i was supposed to cut the return tubing short to fit).

62482435681__44723B9E-5399-4DBF-A669-FA97966E4A03.JPG

I had A LOT of trouble in the beginning with the whole return pump/valve adjustment thing. It took a good while for me to get the flow right. My return pump is on the lowest setting which I think might be odd but I'm not sure. However it's been stable so I think i'll just leave it for now. More pics to follow. . . . .

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some cuc~
IMG_6214.jpeg
IMG_6219.jpeg
IMG_6217.jpeg

In total, I had added 3 hermit crabs, 3 trochus snail, 2 astrea, and an emerald crab. They were all doing well until about last week, when I lost 1 trochus, 1 astrea, and my emerald crab. My alk had dipped to 6 so I think this was the culprit

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the passing of a few of the cuc, I had bought a couple pieces of coral (before+after):
a zoa (I think hercules? tbh if anyone knows the ID i'd appreciate it, i'll find it eventually tho)
IMG_6249.jpeg
IMG_6265.jpeg

and a ricordia:
IMG_6243.jpeg
IMG_6299.jpeg

they handled the dip in alk fine I guess? and that's where we are now. . .

Reefguy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i have the same tank and have a build thread as well. I dont see to many people having this tank on here so good to see someone else with it. I had the same trouble with getting the flow dialed in. Looks good though.

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U P D A T E :
IMG_6685.jpeg

Had to replace clownfish and royal gramma :T

Macroalgae not staying in place thanks to hermits...lol they're living their best lives. Will take advice on how to wrangle the macroalgae/get them to grow (probably increase my no3/po4 i assume)

Lost my sympodium :( LFS says my no3/po4 are too low (1ppms/0.0ppms).
Euphyllia are doing well. Zoa...are alright, as are GSP. Neither are really growing though. Gotta get those parameters higher. Will continue adding Seachem zooplankton/increase fish feeding until I see an increase.

Starry background courtesy of spirorbid worms.

Next thing is probably get more livestock before more corals... . . . . . . . . .

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got some new frens~

IMG_6716.JPEG

Flame hawkfish - not as red as in some pictures? Still cute nonetheless

IMG_6718.JPEG

A "christmas wrasse" - I think this one is H. claudia? It buries itself in the sand, it's great haha

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a doozy of year. just updating so I can keep track of what each coral is:

IMG_7233.JPEG

(L to R) Zoanthid sp. "GSC Goblin's Fire," Caulastrea furcata "Candy cane coral," Acanthastrea Lordhowensis
"Rainbow Acan Coral" (?), Goniopora sp. "GSC springfield goni (micro goni)", Discosoma sp. (Red mushroom coral?), Platygyra sp.(?) "Space Dust," Ricordia Florida 'Orange mushroom'
IMG_7234.JPEG
IMG_7237.JPEG

Echinophyllia aspera "GSC Mummy eye chalice"(?), Seriatopora hystrix 'Green bird's nest'
IMG_7236.JPEG
Sarcophyton sp. 'green toadstool'

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok WELL here are a couple "full tank shots" - bear with me as I add more pics. Looking at these older photos I think my algae problem is a bit more out of hand than I thought...

Fish: "christmas wrasse" (H. claudia), 2X clowns (Mocha?+WT), Long-nosed hawkfish, royal gramma (captive-bred!), mandarin goby (captive-bred)

Inverts: turbos, trochus, 1X red hermit crab, 2X blue hermit crab, 2X peppermint shrimp, tiger conch

IMG_8232.JPEG
IMG_8233.JPEG
IMG_8234.JPEG

OP
OP
shootingstar_reef

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A side pic - (L-R):
Capnella sp. "Kenya Tree," Leptoseris sp. "Jack-O-Lantern," Zoanthis sp. "Rasta," Ricordia yuma(?), Pavona cactus(?)
IMG_8258.JPEG

The kenya tree and pavona absolutely do not get along. The pavona stung the kenya tree head and it disintegrated; I thought it was going to die but the head came back...Im not sure what to do cause it looks like it's a matter of time before they start bickering again.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back