Waterbox Marine X 90.3 Build! Upgraded to a big boy tank!

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After months of ogling other people's tanks and then looking at my Fluval 32, I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading to a big boy tank. Was very lucky to find a new 90.3 that someone had bought, but never set up. The trick was that this tank would have to go in the same spot as my current tank. Wife has agreed to let me do what I want, as long as my tank was out of the way. So its in my home office! Smaller footprint for my last setup (with stand), but much more real estate! So far, I'm pleased with how it turned out and super excited to watch it grow and come into its own (plus stock it up).

So to start, here is the basic parts list:

- Waterbox Marine X 90.3
- Reef Octopus Classic Int-150
- Kessil A360we Tuna Blue + Spectral X controller (running default tuna blue schedule)
- 2x Icecap 2k WiFi (running 25%-50% gyre during the day)
- Reef Octopus Varios 4 return pump
- Tunze ATO
- Crappy BRS screen lid (Toplids cover has been ordered)
- 9w UV (way too small, but used it in my old tank, can't hurt!)
- 500 w titanium heater w/ Inkbird dual probe WiFi controller
- Custom rock scape

The Build Day!​

As stated, this would be an in-place transfer and didn't have another tank to put my existing corals and fish. A few days prior to doing the transfer, got some ceramic media and stuck it in my Fluval to try and get some more bacteria in place. So with some buckets, brutes, and some extra airstones/power heads, I got to work. All rock work and corals went into a brute, fish into a bucket. I tried to save as much water as I could and did my best to keep any sand from stirring around. Got about 15-20 gallons out of it that was usable. Queue the build montage!

Got the new tank all set up and leveled ( on a carpet), fixed a minor bulkhead leak (forgot an extra gasket for the main drain), a few more leak tests and trying of the floor and filled her up! Got all my old rocks in there, some in the sump, and threw in all the ceramic media and let it sit overnight.

1631036789216.png

1631037782538.jpeg

Next day the smoke had cleared, then added a bottle of Fritz Turbo Start 900, turned off the skimmer and mini uv and crossed my fingers. Had a small ammonia spike (no more than .25ppm) and some immediate nitrates about 1mg/L, and no nitrites). Some corals started opening right away, others were not happy. Finger leather started shedding and my Goni wouldn't open at all.
1631036856945.jpeg

After about a week, my custom rock finished its bleach cure and a Seachem prime dip and was ready to go in the tank.

1631037760766.jpeg

Today, will be adding some pods and phyto to the tank and a couple new corals. Some detritus started growing, ammonia back to 0, and looks like I'm good to go!

I'll continue to update as I add more corals. Always looking for advice as well, so feel free!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics and your scape looks great! How're you liking the 90.3? I've got the 35.1 and am itching to go bigger for my 2nd tank. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics and your scape looks great! How're you liking the 90.3? I'm got the 35.1 and am itching to go bigger for my 2nd tank. :D
Thanks! I'm really liking it. I'm excited to get my Toplids cover so help with the evaporation. Current ATO empties every 2 days, so I may cut out the ATO wall to have a mini refugium and do an external ATO in the future.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm really liking it. I'm excited to get my Toplids cover so help with the evaporation. Current ATO empties every 2 days, so I may cut out the ATO wall to have a mini refugium and do an external ATO in the future.
Interesting idea. I've also been a bit annoyed with my tiny ATO. So the idea would be to cut out the ATO wall, and then place a baffle to introduce the refugium? I like it, but I'm unsure how well it'd work given the somewhat lower water movement that area would have. Worth investigating though!

pentest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting idea. I've also been a bit annoyed with my tiny ATO. So the idea would be to cut out the ATO wall, and then place a baffle to introduce the refugium? I like it, but I'm unsure how well it'd work given the somewhat lower water movement that area would have. Worth investigating though!
Glad I am not the only thinking the ATO is way too small, looking at Red Sea 250 or 300 XL they left room for a in the cabinet bigger ATO.

OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, Sorry for the delay in updating.

Lots of new additions since I first posted.

So: A few weeks after getting started, shifted some of the rock work around to better situate current and future coral additions.Still looked pretty bare, added a Yellow Gorg (can't be seen) and a hairy toadstool. Parameters were starting to settle in, so didn't want to add too much.

IMG_2285.jpeg

A few weeks after that, had a neighbor who had some easy SPS he wanted to get rid of for cheap, so I jumped on the opportunity. Additionally, my LFS had a metallic green frammer that I couldn't pass up. So COOL! Whats a frammer you say? Its some newly crowned Euphyllia that's a hybrid of a hammer and a frogspawn. Also, moved some corals and rocks again. Don't worry, I'll do this plenty. Parameters pretty stable as well.

Livestock to this point:

Fish:
Mated pair misbar Clowns
6 line Wrasse (Named Clyde)
Tail Spot Blenny (Named Muppet)
Firefish

Corals:

SPS
Green, blue, red, and fire(something) Digitatas
Slimeball Anacropora
Blue Birdsnest
Red encrusting Monti
Green encrusting monti

LPS
Metallic Frammer
Green Hammer
Toxic Green Candy Cane
Goniopora

Softies
Finger leather
Hairy Toadstool
Some sort of Ricordia
Acan
GSP
Yellow Gorg (PS)

Maintenance schedule:
Water change: Every 2 weeks
Filter socks: every 4-5 days (or if they get dirty sooner)
Skimmer: Dark green skinmate.

Feeding:
TDO Chroma boost - Daily
Fish frenzy frozen - Saturday/sunday treat
Copepods - once every 2 months
Phyto - when I remember (every couple days)

IMG_2360.JPG
65405003238__F72D8CA4-3BB6-46E6-B63B-BD892008E8F7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueFish1

BlueFish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I'd split up the posts to make things cleaner.

Once again, picked up some corals from a the same neighbor (he's resetting his tank for all SPS). Hit the jackpot with this one, but will be the last coral purchase I make for a while (or so I tell myself).

BUT before I get to that, I also got my dosing setup ready. Finally found a cabinet to use, but still in the process of modifying it (when I have time). Will post pictures of that once I'm done. I'm going to be using the ATI essentials Pro 2-Part system. Have read the reviews for all of them, but the ATI will hopefully get me closest to my ultimate goal of reduced water changes. Before I start dosing, I sent off a water sample to ATI for their ICP test and then can get recommendations/calculations for dosing amounts.

Dosing Equipment:

RedSea ReefDose4
Simplicity 3x2L dosing containers

Now to the fun stuff. Given the stable params, and great SPS growth, I figured I would be ready for these new corals. So, Added a Gold Tip Torch (2-3 heads, maybe more?), Pink Tip Hammer (5 heads), and a fresh Strawberry Shortcake Acropora.

IMG_2391.jpeg
IMG_2399.jpeg
IMG_2392.jpeg

And the wide angle shot of the whole tank now

IMG_2395.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back