Waterbox Marine x 90.3 Mixed Reef

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time no see, everyone.

I have some history with reefing. A successful 3.7 pico 2017-2019 that I abandoned when my mom was doing home hospice. Also, a wildly unsuccessful 20 gallon IM that i spent way more money on, with far less success (velvet or brook first fish i put in, broke it down and sold it) in 2021. From 2021-now I got into high tech freshwater.

This will be my first substantially sized reef and i’m coming into it with more knowledge and life stability. My plan is to go slow, organized and quality stock.

The tank and stand are from Waterbox (90.3), with a 60 gallon display and 30 gallon sump.

Lighting- Aquaticlife T5 Hybrid (2 blue+, 1 coral+, 1 actinic) matched with 2 noopsyche kp7 minis. Philosophy on this is great coverage, decent value, and not too much controllability where I get in my own way. I am using the wall mounts and will likely have a friend build a shade to match stand.

Circulation- Likely going hygger dc return pump, and 2 dc powerheads. I will replace these out 1 at a time with vortex as cash permits, but i’ve had great experiences in the past.

Heater- Hygger again, 500w with controller, great reviews and seems very reliable.

Skimmer- Have not purchased or installed, but looking at the Bubble Magus Curve 5 elite.

Sump Mods- A friend is printing me 2 shallow media baskets, first will have filter floss, second a sponge (in case of floss clogging). Rock rubble or chemi if i need it in the space under baskets. In the skimmer chamber I will likely buy the octoreef magnetic refugium mod and have my fuge after my skimmer (when nutrient levels permit).

Sand- Fiji Pink and Special Grade Carib Sea

Rock- Marco Rock (dry). Went for an HNSA ( habitat negative space aquascape) look. I plan on having mostly smaller fish so made the negative spaces smaller, plenty of room under rock and around back. The structure is 3 main pieces connected with super glue gel and epoxy. I went over the joints witb liquid super glue and the dust from smashing the rock. (Shout out to Ryan with BRS, video was very helpful)

Water- Tropic Marin Pro Reef, mixed with a cheapy kedsum 550gph amazon pump, eheim heater in a Brute. I had a Aquaticlife 75 gpd rodi with replaceable cartridges from my freshwatwr hi tech nano build.

Testing-
Hanna salinity, phosphate and alk testers. nyos nitrate tester, aquaforest magnesium, red sea calcium, test strips for nitrite and ammonia to be extra careful and catch any spikes…if theres an issue ill get specific tests for those.

ATO:
Fluval (great reviews and redundancy). Holding off in setting this up until mid may due to travel)

Initial Stocking:
Fritz Turbostart 900
Dr Reef/Algaebarn for all initial livestock and likely all inverts moving forward. I learned the hard way about not quarantining, and feel that with the amount i will be stocking, the extra price is worth the expertise and less work running my own prophylactic medicated QT. This may come at a later date, as I want to learn the skill/process.

2 Black Ice Clowns
1 yellow watchmen goby (captive bred)
1 tiger shrimp (banded)
10 blue leg hermit crabs
10 pack of 4 different snail types

Normally I would have waited on inverts and the goby, but couldnt pass up the April $300 free shipping deal.

Plan:
Display is full and leveled, the sump gets filled tomorrow and will start circulating. Will be making sure my salinity is perfect, and will ghost feed just a little. No lights. A week from tomorrow, my livestock shipment will be here. The turbostart will go in with the fish and bare bones CUC. This will run for 2 weeks while I am home. I will be gone the following two weeks, and have a friend watching the tank…manually feeding and topping off with fresh rodi for evap, as i dont want a brand new ato running on a new tank without being home to monitor. When i get back, I plan on starting a copepod and phyto culture. it will be a month with no light. I will turn on the light and stock with copepods to hopefully fight off diatom bloom. From there, lots of testing until we are stable enough for coral.

Eventual Stock:
2 clown (hardy classic)
Goby/shrimp (looks and sand cleaner)
Kole tang (algae , will trade if ever too big)
Royal grama (looks)
Mandarin goby (culturing pods)
Red Dragonette (culturing pods)
Melanarus (may out compete the others)
Cleaner shrimp x2
snail mix x 40
Blue leg hermit x 50
Halloween crab
Brittle star x 5

Coral-
Mixed reef, hopefully some acros near top, montis around back/sides. Love birds nest and pocilyporas, encrusters. For LPS i love acans, euphylia, lobos, gonis. Would love a scoly. Zoas and maybe a toadstool for softies, along with a gorgonian maybe.

Open to any and all feedback/suggestions.

I am focusing on quality and healthy lifestock, a tank that will last, and great even lighting. I am admittedly cheaping out on flow and the LEDs, with plans to upgrade flow in the future.

1251D6BD-8E7E-437F-9066-F5B646BB3B49.jpeg
Some pics of what i’ve done so far and where I am at currently. 3A520B30-A094-49CE-BE73-13CB1B8BF277.jpeg

OP
OP
KristianS

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a long time with work and trips getting in the way, but here is where i’m at with my new 90.3. Everything is level and nothing exploded. DC heater and return in and tank is running for next 5-6 weeks in darkness. However there was one medium grade hiccup: when i plugged the return in and it ramped up, didnt realize i had a return nozzle pointed upward, so shot clean across the room and i had to clandestinely clean saltwater off walls/bookshelf/floor and under couch. Very dumb but lesson learned

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can check for you, but i dont believe it is on the model i have
Thanks very much. I am thinking of getting the marine 90.3. By the way is the overflow ie filtration system noisy? I plan to have it in my office. I mean is there any splashing/sloshing sound from the overflow box or the siphon into the sump?

OP
OP
KristianS

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much. I am thinking of getting the marine 90.3. By the way is the overflow ie filtration system noisy? I plan to have it in my office. I mean is there any splashing/sloshing sound from the overflow box or the siphon into the sump?
Very little noise once plumbing dialed in correctly. Also, just checked, Weir comb is removable for cleaning

OP
OP
KristianS

KristianS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49F69A82-7490-4F51-9D1F-AEF2E5F1D3C6.jpeg

Has been up and running with 2 clowns, a tiger pistol and a watchmen goby for a month. Lights still off, going to be doing water parameter checks and starting to order some zoas and LPS. I might run a solo noopsych mini for time being before i add a second puck

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Has been up and running with 2 clowns, a tiger pistol and a watchmen goby for a month. Lights still off, going to be doing water parameter checks and starting to order some zoas and LPS. I might run a solo noopsych mini for time being before i add a second puck
Arh man, looking good now once wet! Well done, I do like that scape!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a beautiful scape!

steak.mama

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm excited to read about and watch your progress as I just got this tank and very new to the reef world. Can I ask why and for how long you are keeping the lights off?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back