Waterbox Marine X 90.3 + QT Build

DonaldM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here! After keeping freshwater tanks during my childhood, I’m finally wading into saltwater. I plan on keeping a FOWLR tank to start, and then, once the system stabilizes, adding some soft and beginner-friendly coral in about a year. I’ve purchased a Waterbox Marine X 90.3 with the Oak cabinet. While I wait for that to arrive, here’s some background on how (and why) I ended up with that tank.

Tank Location
I live in a 22 foot wide brownstone in Brooklyn, so finding a place for the tank was a challenge. I have two kids (aged 4 and 7), and while I don’t expect them to be involved with any of the tank upkeep, I want the tank to be in a location that was readily visible by them. Saltwater tanks are full of science and I think they are a great way to introduce concepts like the ammonia cycle, fish husbandry, and the like.

After a little furniture shoving and some negotiation with my wife, I found a central spot in the living room with a 20” x 36” space for a tank.

empty-spot-for-tank.jpg

As you can see, this location is in front of a railing for a little-used staircase to our basement. This has the added benefit of providing rear access to the tank. The basement is also where the RO/DI and mixing station will be. This means I can roll a Brute with fresh saltwater to the bottom of the stairs and pump water up with a hefty sump.

Tank Selection
After quite a bit of research (and reading here, thanks Reef2Reef!), the finalists for the tank were the Red Sea Reefer 250 (54g DT / 11g Sump), Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (59g DT / 26g Sump), and a Planet Aquariums Crystalline w/ the Reef Kit (36” x 20”, 78g with sump).

I really liked the construction, build, and reputation of Planet Aquariums. They are also based in the USA, and being a business owner myself, I wanted to support a fellow entrepreneur. Unfortunately, Planet Aquariums is using a reseller model which requires going through a LFS to purchase an aquarium. After not getting any response from their local dealers here in the NYC area, I eliminated Planet Aquarium as an option. I wish they would update their eCommerce offering!

The Red Sea Reefer 250 and Waterbox Marine X 90.3 were very similar in price, size, and equipment. Ultimately, I chose Waterbox because I preferred the overflow gate valve and Imperial plumbing (vs metric in the Red Sea). My wife also didn’t want a black or white stand right in the middle of our living room, so the Oak option offered by Waterbox was another plus (the “Oak” is laminate, so we’ll see how it looks in person ).

I ordered the tank on January 26. I expect it to be 4 to 6 weeks before it arrives here in Brooklyn, so in the meantime I’ll be setting up 2 quarantine tanks. That update will be next!

DonaldM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here! After keeping freshwater tanks during my childhood, I’m finally wading into saltwater. I plan on keeping a FOWLR tank to start, and then, once the system stabilizes, adding some soft and beginner-friendly coral in about a year. I’ve purchased a Waterbox Marine X 90.3 with the Oak cabinet. While I wait for that to arrive, here’s some background on how (and why) I ended up with that tank.

Tank Location
I live in a 22 foot wide brownstone in Brooklyn, so finding a place for the tank was a challenge. I have two kids (aged 4 and 7), and while I don’t expect them to be involved with any of the tank upkeep, I want the tank to be in a location that was readily visible by them. Saltwater tanks are full of science and I think they are a great way to introduce concepts like the ammonia cycle, fish husbandry, and the like.

After a little furniture shoving and some negotiation with my wife, I found a central spot in the living room with a 20” x 36” space for a tank.

empty-spot-for-tank.jpg

As you can see, this location is in front of a railing for a little-used staircase to our basement. This has the added benefit of providing rear access to the tank. The basement is also where the RO/DI and mixing station will be. This means I can roll a Brute with fresh saltwater to the bottom of the stairs and pump water up with a hefty sump.

Tank Selection
After quite a bit of research (and reading here, thanks Reef2Reef!), the finalists for the tank were the Red Sea Reefer 250 (54g DT / 11g Sump), Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (59g DT / 26g Sump), and a Planet Aquariums Crystalline w/ the Reef Kit (36” x 20”, 78g with sump).

I really liked the construction, build, and reputation of Planet Aquariums. They are also based in the USA, and being a business owner myself, I wanted to support a fellow entrepreneur. Unfortunately, Planet Aquariums is using a reseller model which requires going through a LFS to purchase an aquarium. After not getting any response from their local dealers here in the NYC area, I eliminated Planet Aquarium as an option. I wish they would update their eCommerce offering!

The Red Sea Reefer 250 and Waterbox Marine X 90.3 were very similar in price, size, and equipment. Ultimately, I chose Waterbox because I preferred the overflow gate valve and Imperial plumbing (vs metric in the Red Sea). My wife also didn’t want a black or white stand right in the middle of our living room, so the Oak option offered by Waterbox was another plus (the “Oak” is laminate, so we’ll see how it looks in person ).

I ordered the tank on January 26. I expect it to be 4 to 6 weeks before it arrives here in Brooklyn, so in the meantime I’ll be setting up 2 quarantine tanks. That update will be next!
I ordered my waterbox 90.3 on January 23 and it was delivered This past Wednesday April 1st.. Promise no April fools joke.

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still thinking through the livestock. My goal is to stay within my abilities, so it's probably no surprise that the first fish will probably be a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish (or perhaps a designer variety if my wife gets a say). After that, I love the perennially cranky Watchman Goby, along with some hermits and snails.

Please do share if you have other recommendations for beginner friendly fish that will (eventually) need to co-exist with coral!
You’ll want some utilitarian fish to combat algae and pests. Lawnmower Benny, Fox Face Rabbitfish, Melanuras Wrasse etc.

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People get their tanks and then the build thread always ends. I guess the work gets too heavy to continue posting huh?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back