Waterbox Marine X 90.3 + QT Build

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here! After keeping freshwater tanks during my childhood, I’m finally wading into saltwater. I plan on keeping a FOWLR tank to start, and then, once the system stabilizes, adding some soft and beginner-friendly coral in about a year. I’ve purchased a Waterbox Marine X 90.3 with the Oak cabinet. While I wait for that to arrive, here’s some background on how (and why) I ended up with that tank.

Tank Location
I live in a 22 foot wide brownstone in Brooklyn, so finding a place for the tank was a challenge. I have two kids (aged 4 and 7), and while I don’t expect them to be involved with any of the tank upkeep, I want the tank to be in a location that was readily visible by them. Saltwater tanks are full of science and I think they are a great way to introduce concepts like the ammonia cycle, fish husbandry, and the like.

After a little furniture shoving and some negotiation with my wife, I found a central spot in the living room with a 20” x 36” space for a tank.

empty-spot-for-tank.jpg

As you can see, this location is in front of a railing for a little-used staircase to our basement. This has the added benefit of providing rear access to the tank. The basement is also where the RO/DI and mixing station will be. This means I can roll a Brute with fresh saltwater to the bottom of the stairs and pump water up with a hefty sump.

Tank Selection
After quite a bit of research (and reading here, thanks Reef2Reef!), the finalists for the tank were the Red Sea Reefer 250 (54g DT / 11g Sump), Waterbox Marine X 90.3 (59g DT / 26g Sump), and a Planet Aquariums Crystalline w/ the Reef Kit (36” x 20”, 78g with sump).

I really liked the construction, build, and reputation of Planet Aquariums. They are also based in the USA, and being a business owner myself, I wanted to support a fellow entrepreneur. Unfortunately, Planet Aquariums is using a reseller model which requires going through a LFS to purchase an aquarium. After not getting any response from their local dealers here in the NYC area, I eliminated Planet Aquarium as an option. I wish they would update their eCommerce offering!

The Red Sea Reefer 250 and Waterbox Marine X 90.3 were very similar in price, size, and equipment. Ultimately, I chose Waterbox because I preferred the overflow gate valve and Imperial plumbing (vs metric in the Red Sea). My wife also didn’t want a black or white stand right in the middle of our living room, so the Oak option offered by Waterbox was another plus (the “Oak” is laminate, so we’ll see how it looks in person ).

I ordered the tank on January 26. I expect it to be 4 to 6 weeks before it arrives here in Brooklyn, so in the meantime I’ll be setting up 2 quarantine tanks. That update will be next!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @codee welcome to the club! Looking forward to seeing the tank come together! What kinds of critters will you be getting?

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @codee welcome to the club! Looking forward to seeing the tank come together! What kinds of critters will you be getting?

We're still thinking through the livestock. My goal is to stay within my abilities, so it's probably no surprise that the first fish will probably be a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish (or perhaps a designer variety if my wife gets a say). After that, I love the perennially cranky Watchman Goby, along with some hermits and snails.

Please do share if you have other recommendations for beginner friendly fish that will (eventually) need to co-exist with coral!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're still thinking through the livestock. My goal is to stay within my abilities, so it's probably no surprise that the first fish will probably be a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish (or perhaps a designer variety if my wife gets a say). After that, I love the perennially cranky Watchman Goby, along with some hermits and snails.

Please do share if you have other recommendations for beginner friendly fish that will (eventually) need to co-exist with coral!
Make sure the wife has a say! If she likes the tank then the reefing life will be much easier! Ok clowns are great. The goby is a fun choice, be sure to get a pistol shrimp to pair with the watchman. How about a blenny (lawnmower, starry, or sailfin), cardinal fish, and some kind of wrasse

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - I'm still waiting on my aquarium from @Waterbox Aquariums. When I placed the order, I was told most orders are shipped "within 4 weeks". Since it's been a month since I placed the order and I hadn't heard anything from them, I thought I would check in:

Hello,

It's been a month since I placed my order - can you provide any update as to when this might ship? Thank you

I got a robot generated email immediately:

Hello Cody,

Thank you for contacting Waterbox Aquariums! Please note that out-of-stock/backordered items typically ship within four weeks of the order date. The lead time provided is an estimate and there can be unforeseen delays. Delays are typically outside of our control.

It is our highest priority to get your Waterbox and equipment from our facility to your home with the shortest possible wait. We are regularly receiving more inventory and your order will be shipped out at the first availability of the stock. We appreciate your patience and are confident that your new Waterbox Aquarium will be worth the wait. The next communication you will receive from us will be your shipment tracking details. From there, you can track the movement of your shipment with the carrier. Because your order is shipping LTL Freight, you will also receive a text message from FedEx to set your delivery appointment.

We ensure you everyone on our team is doing their part to get your Waterbox shipped safely and as quickly as possible. Feel free to visit our Official Waterbox Aquariums Owners Group on Facebook for inspiration on aquascaping, lid options, cycling tips and more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/waterboxgroup/

We are excited to have you join the Waterbox family!

When I placed my order a month ago, it wasn't labeled as "out-of-stock". Anyway, it's been 4 weeks, so I followed up, hoping to get a human:

Hello,

Thanks, but when I placed this order 4 weeks ago it wasn't labeled "On Backorder", so I'm hoping you can provide more guidance as to the wait? Thank you.

The response was basically, "Stop asking, go away."

Hello Cody,

This general wait time was stated on the website in a large blue pop up that displayed when you added the item to your cart, prior to committing to the purchase-- I apologize if it was missed. I'm including a screencap of this message for your reference as to what you would have seen:
xcfgKJ6axVtDwzmCDF-HlRdceecCovx5SHDe5PKIV0HEq-jOMizkFYaLiaFiEVaxkyOns-SbxxkVpEChZGXgNTa1u7ur4-srOYB899uvsgA93SF04L4s_76cs2lZL94_nBuOC6qV5yw2tXf6RlSRx1jjyBqcBhCNAHuBx5j_JDU=s0-d-e1-ft

In addition, last week we added a stock feature onto the website itself which reflects the stock level to help alleviate any further confusion moving forward.

Happy fishkeeping.

(The "Happy fishkeeping." sign-off is a nice touch - clearly I'm not doing any fishkeeping without an aquarium!)

I'm not upset - this whole hobby is just about waiting so it's good practice - but it feels like Waterbox is missing an opportunity to create some goodwill. Here's how I would write a response to someone like me:

Hey Cody,

I know you are excited to get your new aquarium, and we're excited to get it to you! I can see you placed your order on January 26. We try really hard to get all orders out within 4 weeks, but right now, it's looking more like 6 weeks from when your order was placed. If you haven't received your shipment notification in the next two weeks, feel free to check back in and I can give you another update. Thanks for your patience, it will be worth the wait!

I run a company that sells help desk software, so I *totally* understand what its like to get hundreds of emails like mine every day. I empathize with the support agents - It's not an easy job!

Anyways, I'm working on setting up my QT and mixing station, a few posts on that to come next...

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Tank(s)
I went to our local Petco to pick up a quarantine tank along with some basics. I chose a 20 gallon long for the main quarantine tank, and I also bought a 15 gallon that was on sale as a secondary QT tank (or perhaps a hospital tank). I plan on following humblefish's procedure, and having two tanks seems to provide the option for a shorter quarantine (assuming everyone is healthy).
IMG_1954.jpeg

I spray painted the back of the tanks black (and proceeded to tick off the entire family when some of the overspray/smell somehow got into the house - I think I left the door cracked).

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI Station
The BRS "4 Stage Value Plus 150GPD" RO/DI arrived. I found a nice spot for it next to our slop sink in the basement, and I mounted it on a piece of plywood.
IMG_1958.jpeg

I also ordered some extra RODI tubing and fittings to run the supply and waste lines directly to the sink.

IMG_1975.jpeg

Now that the RO/DI is hooked up, time to fill the QT tank!
IMG_1965.jpeg

No float switch on that, so at 5 gallons an hour... should be full in about 4 hours. I was so nervous about forgetting about it and causing an overflow that I brought my laptop down to the basement and worked next to it all day.

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - I'm still waiting on my aquarium from @Waterbox Aquariums. When I placed the order, I was told most orders are shipped "within 4 weeks". Since it's been a month since I placed the order and I hadn't heard anything from them, I thought I would check in:

I got a robot generated email immediately:

When I placed my order a month ago, it wasn't labeled as "out-of-stock". Anyway, it's been 4 weeks, so I followed up, hoping to get a human:

The response was basically, "Stop asking, go away."

(The "Happy fishkeeping." sign-off is a nice touch - clearly I'm not doing any fishkeeping without an aquarium!)

I'm not upset - this whole hobby is just about waiting so it's good practice - but it feels like Waterbox is missing an opportunity to create some goodwill. Here's how I would write a response to someone like me:

I run a company that sells help desk software, so I *totally* understand what its like to get hundreds of emails like mine every day. I empathize with the support agents - It's not an easy job!

Anyways, I'm working on setting up my QT and mixing station, a few posts on that to come next...
I'm in the exact same boat - ordered my 110 on 1/21, got the "go away - we'll let you know when it ships" mail also LOL! Got everything ready to go now all I need is a tank! Like you I'm not upset, this is a journey and I get to plan better with more time - but I like your idea on the type of response they should send.

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the exact same boat - ordered my 110 on 1/21, got the "go away - we'll let you know when it ships" mail also LOL! Got everything ready to go now all I need is a tank! Like you I'm not upset, this is a journey and I get to plan better with more time - but I like your idea on the type of response they should send.
Ha ha - glad/sorry to hear I’m not alone!

@pandry15 Have you started a build thread? I like to see what other folks do with their Waterboxes, especially the sump. I may swap mine out immediately for something with a refugium.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are not going to leave the vinyl right beside the new tank, right??? Here is my metal cabinet with a few vinyl...
Britt.jpg

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are not going to leave the vinyl right beside the new tank, right??? Here is my metal cabinet with a few vinyl...
Britt.jpg
Holy smokes - that’s awesome. The vinyl collection is moving, for sure. The turntable and receiver are vintage (Accuphase E-202 and Acoustic Research turntable - both are older than I am, and I feel pretty old) and they are on their last legs. I can’t find parts anymore without spending a fortune, so the whole operation is moving elsewhere.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes - that’s awesome. The vinyl collection is moving, for sure. The turntable and receiver are vintage (Accuphase E-202 and Acoustic Research turntable - both are older than I am, and I feel pretty old) and they are on their last legs. I can’t find parts anymore without spending a fortune, so the whole operation is moving elsewhere.

I'm not lucky finding vintage gear so mine is VPI/Rogue Audio/KEF reference.

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha - glad/sorry to hear I’m not alone!

@pandry15 Have you started a build thread? I like to see what other folks do with their Waterboxes, especially the sump. I may swap mine out immediately for something with a refugium.
yes - started my thread right after I ordered the tank

WB Marine X 110.4

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a display refugium, and I happen to have space next to the tank where one might go. I could use a Fiji Cube 11 gallon as the Display Refugium, like this:
Fuge_Tank@2x (1).png

Any opinions on how to plumb this in a safe way? In the above, I'd plumb the main return into the Display Fuge, and then drain the display fuge into the waterbox sump. The display 'fuge would be about mid-height between the DT and Sump.

Any cons to a setup like this? Or would it be better to push water from my return into the display refugium via a T (or manifold) off of the main return?

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B would be to plumb the return to the Display Refugium.
Fuge_Tank@2x.png

So option A is to plumb the DT's overflow into the display refugium (perhaps splitting the overflow so it is going into both the sump and return), and option B is to split the return.

I should note that the goal of the display refugium will be to hold some macro algae, pods, crabs, shrimp, worms, with sand/miracle mud and a bit of live rock. The DT will be mostly fish to start, but soft and beginner coral in a year or so.

From my beginner POV, it feels like option A would lead to a ton of detritus in the display refugium, since there's no mechanical filtration there, but perhaps that would feed the critters in the display refugium? Option B is the opposite, where the display refugium would be getting "cleaner" water that comes after the skimmer & socks.

Tagging the #reefsquad for help, thanks!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nice build! Following along :)

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B would be to plumb the return to the Display Refugium.
Fuge_Tank@2x.png

So option A is to plumb the DT's overflow into the display refugium (perhaps splitting the overflow so it is going into both the sump and return), and option B is to split the return.

I should note that the goal of the display refugium will be to hold some macro algae, pods, crabs, shrimp, worms, with sand/miracle mud and a bit of live rock. The DT will be mostly fish to start, but soft and beginner coral in a year or so.

From my beginner POV, it feels like option A would lead to a ton of detritus in the display refugium, since there's no mechanical filtration there, but perhaps that would feed the critters in the display refugium? Option B is the opposite, where the display refugium would be getting "cleaner" water that comes after the skimmer & socks.

Tagging the #reefsquad for help, thanks!
I would agree that option B is the better choice. That way your refugium doesn't get all loaded up with waste.

FastAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I’m waiting for a 90.3 as well. The idea of a display refugium is pretty intriguing. Do you know here you plan to get the plumbing supplies for that? I’m planning on building a manifold (to plumb the UV at first with a couple extra connections for reactors and such for the future) but haven’t figured out where I can get the metric pipes and connectors.
I like the idea of a display refugium, and I happen to have space next to the tank where one might go. I could use a Fiji Cube 11 gallon as the Display Refugium, like this:
Fuge_Tank@2x (1).png

Any opinions on how to plumb this in a safe way? In the above, I'd plumb the main return into the Display Fuge, and then drain the display fuge into the waterbox sump. The display 'fuge would be about mid-height between the DT and Sump.

Any cons to a setup like this? Or would it be better to push water from my return into the display refugium via a T (or manifold) off of the main return?

OP
OP
codee

codee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FastAG , yes - it's annoying that Aquabox uses metric pipe - especially considering they are based in Florida! I would recommend using a metric to standard adapter, available at BRS (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/metric-to-standard-pvc-adapters.html). You would only need 3 of those - and then you can use standard schedule 80 (or 40) plumbing to do what you wish.

Hope that's helpful!

FastAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back