Waterbox MarineX 90.3 vs Redsea Reefer 350 G2

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

Can anyone share experience in terms of cabinet space available beside sump for dosing containers in Waterbox MarineX 90.3 vs Redsea Reefer 350 G2? I was leaning towards WB 90.3 given the great reviews about quality of the tank but looks like almost no space for anything beside the sump in the cabinet in the 90.3. I dont want to keep my dosing containers outside the cabinet. Any alternative to that?

Any info on this is highly appreciated!

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of space in the Red Sea 350 cabinet, plus I'd never get a Waterbox over a Red Sea.
Fully aware that I am facechecking pandoras box, as I've had my eyes on some waterboxes since a sale went through for an almost new 180.5 at half price, would the preference for Red Sea over Waterbox be a general statement?

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering both RS and WB as great tanks (hoping that RedSea has fixed the seam issue in G2), the sump section of WB 90.3 is a disappointment for sure in terms of no cabinet space + the fixed filter sock section (no roller-mat option).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully aware that I am facechecking pandoras box, as I've had my eyes on some waterboxes since a sale went through for an almost new 180.5 at half price, would the preference for Red Sea over Waterbox be a general statement?
I keep reading nightmare scenarios where Waterbox owners can't buy things as simple as plumbing parts - in addition to Waterbox warranty/quality control/customer service being non-existent.

I know personally of two situations in the past 6 months where Red Sea replaced a tank damaged during shipping - no questions asked.

ReefMat-ready and ample cabinet space are two more pluses (plus the G2 tanks have thicker glass and marine laminated plywood stands).

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was almost sold for a WB but the filter sock only sump and space issue for the 90.3 is a deal breaker for me. I do see a vast improvement in the G2 version of RS.

JetsIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep reading nightmare scenarios where Waterbox owners can't buy things as simple as plumbing parts - in addition to Waterbox warranty/quality control/customer service being non-existent.

I know personally of two situations in the past 6 months where Red Sea replaced a tank damaged during shipping - no questions asked.

ReefMat-ready and ample cabinet space are two more pluses (plus the G2 tanks have thicker glass and marine laminated plywood stands).
Exact opposite of my experience. WB was very responsive and sent me replacement copies plumbing parts quickly.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same applies for the RS 300
I thought you were comparing the two tanks WB 90 and RS 350. If it’s just dosing container you could build a small shelf on top of the sump to hold the container (of course depending of size). If you are set on that specific tank. I just order a tank with no additional space besides the sump but will do a small cabinet/shelf on the outside to hold electronic.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were comparing the two tanks WB 90 and RS 350. If it’s just dosing container you could build a small shelf on top of the sump to hold the container (of course depending of size). If you are set on that specific tank. I just order a tank with no additional space besides the sump but will do a small cabinet/shelf on the outside to hold electronic.
Thats one possible solution. Need to check if that would make sump maintenance difficult due to limited height for the top shelf. One more big negative for me is fixed filter sock option and no roller mat provision. Not keen on doing bunch of modifications to a new tank and risk voiding the warranty haha. Agree that there are ways to find a solution for every problem but want to minimize as much as possible with a out of the box setup. Otherwise I really liked the WB tank and its features.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But as a rule of thumb, I would avoid keeping dosing containers above sump/ water line.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats one possible solution. Need to check if that would make sump maintenance difficult due to limited height for the top shelf. One more big negative for me is fixed filter sock option and no roller mat provision. Not keen on doing bunch of modifications to a new tank and risk voiding the warranty haha. Agree that there are ways to find a solution for every problem but want to minimize as much as possible with a out of the box setup. Otherwise I really liked the WB tank and its features.
Totally understand, I found myself looking at multiple manufactures but came to the realization that there would be some compromises unless I went totally custom and knew exactly what I wanted/needed.

I do like the Waterbox tanks specifically the frag 105 but was limited on space, specifically width. The RS 350 is a really nice tank that I also looked at but was hesitant with all the silicon issue I read, and videos posted on fb. Ultimately, I went with another manufacture with some workable compromises. If everything works out, I will upgrade in another 3~ years or so.

If filter roller is a must and you would like to avoid sump modification the WB might not be the best option. Good luck on your search but it's nice to know there are plenty of tank options out there.

OP
OP
Bonsai reef

Bonsai reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally understand, I found myself looking at multiple manufactures but came to the realization that there would be some compromises unless I went totally custom and knew exactly what I wanted/needed.

I do like the Waterbox tanks specifically the frag 105 but was limited on space, specifically width. The RS 350 is a really nice tank that I also looked at but was hesitant with all the silicon issue I read, and videos posted on fb. Ultimately, I went with another manufacture with some workable compromises. If everything works out, I will upgrade in another 3~ years or so.

If filter roller is a must and you would like to avoid sump modification the WB might not be the best option. Good luck on your search but it's nice to know there are plenty of tank options out there.
Yes totally agree. We there would be pros and cons unless we go custom made route. And what works for one may not work for other. I would be curious to see if the silicon issue is fixed in the G2 version with 1/2 inch glass. Good luck with your build too! Look forward to watch your build thread soon.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back