Waterbox or Redsea in 2020

Waterbox or RedSea Reefer

• Total voters

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I know 100% I cannot install an in wall tank my only choices come down to these two tanks.

I’m getting confused when ordering , do lights come with these tanks? Are these lights actually good?
Waterbox shows a bunch of additional items I need but what about Red Sea? Do I need a sump pump? Do I need to purchase an ato?

Would love to to hear the thoughts of the community. It’s such a big choice
Also what heaters are people using now adays?

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RS 750, and RS has their online app where you can add RS lights, light mounting features, etc. and you can see it visually. They also offer a bundled discount, for what its worth to you. with RS you would need to buy a sump pump. some of the RS comes with the ATO...some like it others don't because it gets in the way. You will see if the RS wizard if it comes with an ATO. For example see the screen shot of a 625, in the sump area, immediately below the pipes is a little tank sitting on top of the sump; that is the ATO.
1596286685916.png

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WB7225 (167gal dt); your getting a display tank with preinstalled overflow, cabinet, sump, ato tank (if large enough model), and plumbing for the overflow and return. Your going to need a ATO controller and pump, and a return pump. Some packages come with lights some dont, I buy them without lights.

When it comes to these all in one tanks I also have a small Innovate Marine 40 that I really love, so I voted 'other'. The Waterbox build quality is really amazing, but I hated their instructions.. They have added alot of assembly videos after getting feedback but this was after I got and setup my unit.

As for heaters I use Inkbird controllers with Finnex TH Deluxe Titanium, I have some that made it past 2y old before replacement.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on going with a waterbox over a Red Sea personally, i think waterbox has a better quality setup but i have chosen to go with a Cade so I selected other. Cades stand and tank are everything you could ask for in an aquarium. They were big in Australia and are starting to make their way here to the states now, Algae Barn sells them. Waterbox and Cade you can select an option to have lights shipped with your aquarium or you can buy your own.

OP
OP
mkane

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@metzer Thank's for your reply! Is the app on the iOS app store? I can't seem to find it. The lighting seems so $$ but Im guessing because it all matches

@josephxsxn Thanks for your reply! Why do you buy them without the lights? Are they poor or just $$$? So you do own a WB but would vote against it, interesting. That heater seems pretty nice, I remember in 2010 I was shocked pretty bad from my heater. I had GFCI and a ground probe..

Even if I do buy these lights , does it need to be supplemented? I would definitely like to have a mixed reef if possible.

OP
OP
mkane

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Funston07 Wow they are pretty nice too! Same price range. Any draw backs? I'm unfamiliar with the brand. Did you get the lights with the Cade or did you buy your own?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Funston07 Wow they are pretty nice too! Same price range. Any draw backs? I'm unfamiliar with the brand. Did you get the lights with the Cade or did you buy your own?
I haven't seen any drawbacks of this aquarium, it seems like a superior aquarium IMO. Sorry about the light thing I meant you can have them shipped with waterbox and Red Sea. You might be able to but I ordered the Cade Pro Reef 1800 S2 which is a 220gal tank and the kessil ap9x just got released when I ordered it so I think thats what Im going to use for lighting, will only need 2 of them unlike most lights where you'll need 4. The AI Hydra wouldnt be a bad light to order for it either though. I just wanted less lights hanging above it. My thought process was I'll get the lights after the tank just for the fact the tank wont be set up for awhile that way I can recoup some of the money spent on the tank then buy the lighting. I'll try to find the guys tank build on the Cade and link it to here and then you can get a better representation of it.

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's the 1500 which I believe is 180gal. Im not sure how big your wanting to go but with the 1500 and 1800 the ATO reservoir is located up at the top by the tank, easy access and large capacity. If you are going smaller though the stand and aquarium are still great. The stands are metal with glass doors and removable side panels to access every part of the sump with ease. Power strips built into them for easy electronic hookups, just an all around clean build.

hobbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. I purchased a Waterbox 6026 in 2019 and the tank is very nice. However, here are a few reasons I might consider a different option if you are thinking about something 100+ gallons:

My display glass scratched in multiple place within a couple of months of having the tank setup- I am extremely careful cleaning and not sure how this happened.

The hinges in my sump rusted after just a few months - Waterbox did replace these but I don’t think it should have happened.

The stand is pretty nice but I would want something a bit higher quality - The tank is very heavy and I just never felt 110% certain that the tank was strong enough. I’m sure this is just in my head.

I’ve had issues getting the overflow dialed in so it’s silent. I have to adjust it weekly.

Overall I am happy with the tank and I think you would be happy with the water box or Red Sea. If I was doing this again I would look at the innovative marine tanks for a few reasons:

They offer 30 and 36” deep tanks.

APS stands

More flexibility with this sump so you can configure things like filter rollers without modifications.

Good Luck.

Mr.Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Innovative Marine for my 10 and 50 gallon and would almost certainly go for IM again if I was getting a large tank.

One downside is that they’re more DIY. Have to figure out and source your own sump and plumbing. Although that can certainly be fun and gives you more flexibility.

I was going to say that another downside is they’re only available in black but just saw that they’ve added white stands to their lineup.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe check in with Glass Cages. I'm really not sure how the prices compare though.

OP
OP
mkane

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to clarify , I’m only going < 75 gallons.

Does that make a difference in your responses?

Def kind of shocked of the Red Sea sealing and wb stand quality. I have toddlers that scares the heck out of me.

IM is getting rave reviews here. That’s pretty nice.
I guess I have some more research to do. I loved the fact wb and rs came with sumps. Less I have to DIY the better for everyone hahah. I do software not hardware :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I know 100% I cannot install an in wall tank my only choices come down to these two tanks.

So why are these your oonly choices? Innovative Marine or a custom tank are both great options as well.

I’m getting confused when ordering , do lights come with these tanks? Are these lights actually good?

You have an option to order lights with these tanks. Both tanks used to offer AI Hydras as there lighting choice until Red Sea came out with there own lighting. Both are great options for starting out and should suffice for most coral selections.

Waterbox shows a bunch of additional items I need but what about Red Sea? Do I need a sump pump? Do I need to purchase an ato?

Both tanks will need a skimmer, return pump, lights, ATO controller/pump (Red Sea doesn't require one entirely however there float valve is a terrible option long term). Red Sea offers most of these options you can order as a complete package with exception of the ATO pump.

Most people seem to be running titanium heaters like the ones BRS offers. Personally I use cobalt Neotherms and have been really happy with them.

One MASSIVE drawback to these tanks is the ATO tank is installed in the back of the display which eats up 3-4" of your display for water storage.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to clarify , I’m only going < 75 gallons.

Doooo it!!!

While more work, Innovative Marine allows you to pick and choose every option, including the sump which with some of these systems is a huge bonus as the sumps that generally come with them are laid out poorly and don't give you as much options for equipment.

transplant533

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 (73 gallon display, 18 gallon sump) with two 90w Red Sea LEDs.
I chose this tank over others because of ease of setup. It's been set up for about 3 months.

So far I am generally happy with the tank with the following caveats:

The supplied ATO system never worked properly for me - ditched it early on for a Tunze.

The main valve is touchy to set and sometimes I get gurgling from the overflow.

Sump water level can vary if the return pump, valve and overflow level are not set exactly right. I recommend using a DC return pump for its adjustability.

Still early in its life but overall I think I made the right decision, especially with the Red Sea LEDs.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@josephxsxn Thanks for your reply! Why do you buy them without the lights? Are they poor or just $$$? So you do own a WB but would vote against it, interesting. That heater seems pretty nice, I remember in 2010 I was shocked pretty bad from my heater. I had GFCI and a ground probe..

Even if I do buy these lights , does it need to be supplemented? I would definitely like to have a mixed reef if possible.

I buy Ecotech lights, I felt they were the most premium product when I started buying LEDs. I don't think the AI Hydra's will fail you or pretty much any other light now a days, its just not part of how I have bought them in the past. As for supplementation if you buy the reef lights with it in a mixed reef; just put the sps up top and lps down low.

I own both a WB (167gal) and IM (40gal) solutions. I wouldn't say the WB is bad, just that I would get an IM first if it was in the size of tank I wanted in the future. Chances are a future tank wont be either as the size (gal) will just grow well beyond both vendors :D.

As for the stands the WB stand is wood/ply something.. The IM stand is aluminium.

Last edited:

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So why are these your oonly choices? Innovative Marine or a custom tank are both great options as well.

You have an option to order lights with these tanks. Both tanks used to offer AI Hydras as there lighting choice until Red Sea came out with there own lighting. Both are great options for starting out and should suffice for most coral selections.

Both tanks will need a skimmer, return pump, lights, ATO controller/pump (Red Sea doesn't require one entirely however there float valve is a terrible option long term). Red Sea offers most of these options you can order as a complete package with exception of the ATO pump.

Most people seem to be running titanium heaters like the ones BRS offers. Personally I use cobalt Neotherms and have been really happy with them.

One MASSIVE drawback to these tanks is the ATO tank is installed in the back of the display which eats up 3-4" of your display for water storage.
The ATO is behind the display yes but it doesnt take away from your display its 24" wide (on my tank) from the front of the glass to the back glass then the ATO is behind that. Yeah the entire thing is 28" wide but I wouldnt say its a MASSIVE drawback with having 24" wide display. Thats about normal for a larger tank plus then my ATO isnt taking up all that room down where my sump and other equipment is all at.

OP
OP
mkane

mkane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doooo it!!!

While more work, Innovative Marine allows you to pick and choose every option, including the sump which with some of these systems is a huge bonus as the sumps that generally come with them are laid out poorly and don't give you as much options for equipment.

that tank is gorgeous. Researching what that setup entails now. Mid September shipping, not terrible

Back