OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been look at getting a water box 7226 for awhile now. It’s hard to find anyone that has them since they are so new. How do you like yours? Do you have any complaints about it? I am very close to pulling the trigger on one.
What @Sandbox said +
I love how the cabinets are partitioned and the big glass ATO. It takes me about 2 to 2.5 weeks before i have to refill it. The cabinet is solid and heavy. I’ve spilled saltwater on it and still looks good.

The only bad thing that I’m encountering right now is not because of the waterbox but the peninsula style. Good flow is always something hard to achieve in a 6 ft peninsula if you want to have all the powerheads just on one side. I should have gone with 2 gyres instead of 2 wavs.

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my lid from @Top Lids today. Very nice and sturdy

The length is a little too long and would not lay flat without some elbow grease so I’ll have to recheck why it’s that way when I get home.

D98FB254-2D75-4A9A-9BD9-7CE87DDC8DC2.jpeg

AC3CDB1B-638F-4AC6-94FB-D5DB8430425E.jpeg

10ECA772-1169-464B-BECC-CD05FF31623D.jpeg

D5BC2640-796D-4606-8437-6DFCD517AAFE.jpeg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I’m about to purchase the WB 5526 and you’ve got me considering a few things like flow and currently I use a doser and have been considering a calcium reactor, which I think may be better for a tank this size. I figured I could get away with using a doser at first but will need a reactor soon. The tank looks great. The algae bloom sucks. Been there. Are you using the fuge for nutrient export?

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. I’m about to purchase the WB 5526 and you’ve got me considering a few things like flow and currently I use a doser and have been considering a calcium reactor, which I think may be better for a tank this size. I figured I could get away with using a doser at first but will need a reactor soon. The tank looks great. The algae bloom sucks. Been there. Are you using the fuge for nutrient export?

I tried using a doser before but the lack of experience and research made the tank unstable and could not keep a even a stylo or monti alive more than a week. I used a calcium reactor researched and has worked better for me and my corals.

Yes my cheato grows like a weed on my kessil 380 but i think it’s too powerful and burning a good part of the cheato. My nitrate and phosphate is 0 so I’m not even sure where this is coming from.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried using a doser before but the lack of experience and research made the tank unstable and could not keep a even a stylo or monti alive more than a week. I used a calcium reactor researched and has worked better for me and my corals.

Yes my cheato grows like a weed on my kessil 380 but i think it’s too powerful and burning a good part of the cheato. My nitrate and phosphate is 0 so I’m not even sure where this is coming from.
I use the H80 for my chaeto and it does a decent job growing it. I use ESV 2 part and dose even amounts of Alk and calc and it works well for me but it does take time to dial it in. The algae in your tank could be consuming the nutrients causing you to zero out. It is very misleading.
When I had GHA in my tank, I struggled with the same thing. The thing that worked for me was to rinse/drain my LRS that I fed daily and when I fed pellet food, I made sure very little if any went to the bottom. I increased the flow in my vortech, which helped a lot and used a turkey baster to remove the GHA from the rocks. This helped to keep the GHA from floating around the tank and settling elsewhere. Within a month, my rocks were clean. I also used a little GFO as well.
Before this I tried everything... peroxide, fluconazole (believe killed my inverts) and toothbrush.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be setting up a 7226 next weekend after I move. Rocks been cycling for months. Will post a build thread with... hopefully positive experiences :)

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Sandbox said +
I love how the cabinets are partitioned and the big glass ATO. It takes me about 2 to 2.5 weeks before i have to refill it. The cabinet is solid and heavy. I’ve spilled saltwater on it and still looks good.

The only bad thing that I’m encountering right now is not because of the waterbox but the peninsula style. Good flow is always something hard to achieve in a 6 ft peninsula if you want to have all the powerheads just on one side. I should have gone with 2 gyres instead of 2 wavs.

Thank you for all the info! You both have been very helpful. I have planned for 4 MP40’s for flow, 2 on each side. One other question, what return pump are you using? Looking at the specs for the return chamber, the 9” by 9” chamber seems slighting small for a large pump and ATO.

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info! You both have been very helpful. I have planned for 4 MP40’s for flow, 2 on each side. One other question, what return pump are you using? Looking at the specs for the return chamber, the 9” by 9” chamber seems slighting small for a large pump and ATO.
The flow would be perfect with the MP40 just make sure that there’s not a lot of foot traffic on the shorter viewing end otherwise the powerheads might get knocked off.

I’m using the COR 15 from my previous tank. I initially thought that I needed the Cor 20 to meet the x10 return flow rate but anything more than 60% of the Cor 15 makes the water level and noise unstable. I believe that that’s the overflow’s limit. And you can see in the pic how close the water level is from the edge.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow would be perfect with the MP40 just make sure that there’s not a lot of foot traffic on the shorter viewing end otherwise the powerheads might get knocked off.

I’m using the COR 15 from my previous tank. I initially thought that I needed the Cor 20 to meet the x10 return flow rate but anything more than 60% of the Cor 15 makes the water level and noise unstable. I believe that that’s the overflow’s limit. And you can see in the pic how close the water level is from the edge.

Is the return plumbing 1” or 3/4”?

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luis1521, are you running a flow Neptune flow sensor on your return? If so what does your readings look like?

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t.
On my 5-foot peninsula, I have Gyre 250's on each end and two MP40s on the non-viewable end. My return pump is a Simplicity DC 3200 turned up almost all the way. Flow is good. The Gyre on the view end is not too intrusive since it's toward the top of the tank. I run the cord down the side of the corner and it is disguised by the black silicone. I use little black sticky chord clips to hold the chord against the glass. Not ideal but I don't have a canopy to hide stuff (prefer to appearance without a canopy).

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking that Red Sea skimmer? I’m trying to choose between that and the Nyos 160.

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking that Red Sea skimmer? I’m trying to choose between that and the Nyos 160.
I does what it’s supposed to do pulling a lot of skimmate. I love that I haven’t had the need to take the cup out since I installed it because of the features. I hated cleaning the skimmer cup back then.

I can’t speak for the NYOS since I’ve never own one.

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 5-foot peninsula, I have Gyre 250's on each end and two MP40s on the non-viewable end. My return pump is a Simplicity DC 3200 turned up almost all the way. Flow is good. The Gyre on the view end is not too intrusive since it's toward the top of the tank. I run the cord down the side of the corner and it is disguised by the black silicone. I use little black sticky chord clips to hold the chord against the glass. Not ideal but I don't have a canopy to hide stuff (prefer to appearance without a canopy).
I do agree that if I’m going to add a pump on the viewing side I would use a Gyre but for now the corals on the farther end are doing ok but not great.

martinelias1983

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the 7226 this past weekend as my first tank.
So far I only have ordered a em vectra l1 pump and an aquamaxx cones q3 skimmer.
Will probably start with dry rock and will order 2 gyre 350s for now but wont have it all set up until April 20th since I'm moving.

OP
OP
L

Lui1521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the 7226 this past weekend as my first tank.
So far I only have ordered a em vectra l1 pump and an aquamaxx cones q3 skimmer.
Will probably start with dry rock and will order 2 gyre 350s for now but wont have it all set up until April 20th since I'm moving.
Vectra L1 would be more than enough i’m only using about 900 gph.

I think the new gyres would be perfect I would love to see a video of it when up and running.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back