Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25 owners, what upgrades do you recommend?

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a peninsula mini 25 on order and I'm curious what upgrades people have found beneficial and should be done early on and which are fluff/convenience things that can wait until later.

I'm already considering upgrading the pump and swapping out the stock nozzle for a random flow nozzle (or two). What other items and upgrades do you recommend?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have done RFG nozzle only 1, i did upgrade the pump to a sicce pump, i use filter cup made by kraken reef, etc...

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have done RFG nozzle only 1, i did upgrade the pump to a sicce pump, i use filter cup made by kraken reef, etc...

Did you do the larger RFG? I noticed VCA has both the 1/4" and 1/2" options.

Did you go with the Sicce 1.0? I was noticing there aren't many options for higher flow rate pumps that will fit in the chamber.

How does the filter cup stack up to the InTank media baskets? I've used their baskets for all of my AIO that I've owned.

Sorry for all the questions, trying to avoid buying stuff twice lol

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the larger RFG? I noticed VCA has both the 1/4" and 1/2" options.

Did you go with the Sicce 1.0? I was noticing there aren't many options for higher flow rate pumps that will fit in the chamber.

How does the filter cup stack up to the InTank media baskets? I've used their baskets for all of my AIO that I've owned.

Sorry for all the questions, trying to avoid buying stuff twice lol
yes i did do the 1/2 inch option and yes sicce 1.0, honestly the cup works great for me but i didnt know they had a intank basket one yet i would think both should work great on p25 tank.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C4980BC4-B422-400F-9E23-07C2FF8EC9CA.jpeg

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i did do the 1/2 inch option and yes sicce 1.0, honestly the cup works great for me but i didnt know they had a intank basket one yet i would think both should work great on p25 tank.

Awesome, thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the process of setting up my PM25 tank, but went with the sicce 1.5. I swapped out the straight fitting for a 90 and fit okay. Think i still would like more flow. It is really quiet. Looking for a protein skimmer for the tank. My original intention was the tunze 9004, but just realized it wouldnt fit. I had read someplace before that it would fit. Should have double checked earlier. What are others going with for the skimmer and issues found?

Thanks much for your time.

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the process of setting up my PM25 tank, but went with the sicce 1.5. I swapped out the straight fitting for a 90 and fit okay. Think i still would like more flow. It is really quiet. Looking for a protein skimmer for the tank. My original intention was the tunze 9004, but just realized it wouldnt fit. I had read someplace before that it would fit. Should have double checked earlier. What are others going with for the skimmer and issues found?

i use the icecap k1 nano skimmer

gonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep wondering how you all install the sicce syncra silent pumps in a truly silent way? I had a sicce 1.0 and sicce 1.5 and they were loud as heck in the small waterbox peninsula mini compartments. And if i remember correctly the sicce 1.5 would not fit in the return chamber.
I did run them for about a week. It was not tolerable even for a living room, i could hear the pumps through our hallway in the bedroom happily humming away.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep wondering how you all install the sicce syncra silent pumps in a truly silent way? I had a sicce 1.0 and sicce 1.5 and they were loud as heck in the small waterbox peninsula mini compartments. And if i remember correctly the sicce 1.5 would not fit in the return chamber.
I did run them for about a week. It was not tolerable even for a living room, i could hear the pumps through our hallway in the bedroom happily humming away.

I went with a DCS1200 Jecod pump, had to trim the intake threads and it fits the return chamber like a glove. It's also dead silent. Not just "I can't hear it over normal room noise" silent...the tank is right next to my bed and I can't hear it at all. The water agitation on the surface makes more noise.

gonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah great to know - i went with the IM mightyjet desktop, also had to trim the inlet (which is a bit scary as you trim a part that holds the impeller shaft along with the inlet). The mightyjet i can also recommend for use in bedrooms :)

Garry125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys recommend for uv light and protein skimmer? I's the skimmer even worth doing? I have 3 fish and a couple zoas.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys recommend for uv light and protein skimmer? I's the skimmer even worth doing? I have 3 fish and a couple zoas.

Skimming is sort of pointless on such a small tank. There's also not a lot of room in the back for one. I'm sure a smaller tunze skimmer would fit or if you had the space you night be able to do a HOB one.

As far as UV, I can't speak there since I don't run UV.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WB MP25 just got wet.

1.The stock pump is now my SW mixer in a tub.
2. I bought a Sicce 1.0 and ehhhhh we'll see. I do hear it and will look fwd to trying another.
3. I have a UV hob w/ a Sicce 1.5 in the middle chamber. I would def recomend a DC pump s you can increase/decrease the flow to to be task specific.
4. I bought an InTank chamber 1 and use filterfloss and Bio-Lux Ceramic Bio Media below

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve spoken to many people that suggested not using a protein skimmer on a tank that small unless it has a very large bio load because it strips nutrients out too quickly, but I can’t speak from experience.
I use Chemi-Pure Blue as a filter media alternative and it seems to work well without a large upfront expense on hardware.

Chris4reef

Innovative Marine Nano Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On my WB25 I switched out the filter socks with a floss strainer from thekrakenreef, Added a RFG, Ice cap k1 skimmer, Nero 5 and Nero 3.

But my most impactful mod was adding the reefbrite xho k15 to the radion xr15. The tank is so long that I was getting too much shading.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my WB25 I switched out the filter socks with a floss strainer from thekrakenreef, Added a RFG, Ice cap k1 skimmer, Nero 5 and Nero 3.

But my most impactful mod was adding the reefbrite xho k15 to the radion xr15. The tank is so long that I was getting too much shading.
Neat idea. Coral growth improved? I have the AI Prime and quite a few areas lack light, especially with my rock structure. Coral growth has been quite limited too. Mostly LPS. Using the Saxby light schedule. Thanks for the idea. How did you mount the light? Looks too heavy to attach to the glass walls.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back