WaterBox Platinum 135.4 vs. Red Sea Reefer XL 525

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order to Saltwater Aquarium for a white Waterbox 75.2 . I'm considering doing some type of build thread here on R2R since there isn't really much here about Waterbox, other then complaints about a few false statements comparing their tanks to RedSea's, so stay tuned! I'm betting that they are every bit as good! Hopefully its in stock as their website says and we can get this going sooner rather then later!

Will be going with a Radion XR30 G4 Pro, Nyos 120 Skimmer, EcoTech S1 return pump and EcoTech MP 40 for tank circulation. Should be a nice build and a fun system to own.

OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order to Saltwater Aquarium for a white Waterbox 75.2 . I'm considering doing some type of build thread here on R2R since there isn't really much here about Waterbox, other then complaints about a few false statements comparing their tanks to RedSea's, so stay tuned! I'm betting that they are every bit as good! Hopefully its in stock as their website says and we can get this going sooner rather then later!

Will be going with a Radion XR30 G4 Pro, Nyos 120 Skimmer, EcoTech S1 return pump and EcoTech MP 40 for tank circulation. Should be a nice build and a fun system to own.

How exciting! Wowza very nice selection for the equipment, this tank is going to be killer indeed. Looking forward to your build thread and hearing about how your loving it. :)

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the stand. Is the center divider between the compartments an optional part or is it there for structural bracing?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question able the stand. Is the center divider between the compartments an optional part or is it there for structural bracing?

It is there as part of structural however in talked with manufacturer before about this it can be moved over some to allow more room in sump area. This will be a mod that will require your own drilling etc of stand but says that you can reduce the equipment compartment down to 8" and still get the structural support needed. In the 135.4 version that would add about 4" to sump area so not much but some.

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is there as part of structural however in talked with manufacturer before about this it can be moved over some to allow more room in sump area. This will be a mod that will require your own drilling etc of stand but says that you can reduce the equipment compartment down to 8" and still get the structural support needed. In the 135.4 version that would add about 4" to sump area so not much but some.
Thank you so much. You are an amazing help.

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! Your tank looked awesome at MACNA as well as your coral selection.
I was considering buying the waterbox 135 versus the RSR 425xl but I got a killer deal on a RSR 525xl instead. Having said that, I would consider buying an AIO tank much larger than the RSR 750xxl, specifically a DT volume of 200-250 gallons. Any plans for capturing this end of the market and making a tank larger than the RSR 750xxl?

OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering buying the waterbox 135 versus the RSR 425xl but I got a killer deal on a RSR 525xl instead. Having said that, I would consider buying an AIO tank much larger than the RSR 750xxl, specifically a DT volume of 200-250 gallons. Any plans for capturing this end of the market and making a tank larger than the RSR 750xxl?

We have a lot planned for WaterBox, the ultimate size we will end up doing I am not sure yet. A lot of planning is happening right now so there will be a large expansion of the WaterBox line coming in 2018 for sure

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Waterbox...what is the best way to cut the acrylic drain top to accommodate a Radion light mount? Will a Dremel cutting wheel work? Thanks.

OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for Waterbox...what is the best way to cut the acrylic drain top to accommodate a Radion light mount? Will a Dremel cutting wheel work? Thanks.

Yes that should work or you can just ditch the cover all together, either way :)

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that should work or you can just ditch the cover all together, either way :)
But it looks nice, hate to ditch it! Its so thick, wasn't sure it would be the best way to cut it. Thanks.

First impressions "out of the box" are very good. I'm going to do a build thread / review and have already started with some photos and notes. I also have a RedSea Reefer 525XL that I built 10 months ago, so will be doing some comparison. Hope to kick it off this weekend!

IMG_3449.JPG IMG_3450.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waterbox Aquariums

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it looks nice, hate to ditch it! Its so thick, wasn't sure it would be the best way to cut it. Thanks.

First impressions "out of the box" are very good. I'm going to do a build review and have already started with some photos and notes. Hope to kick it off this weekend!

It won't be easy to cut due to the thickness but possible. You can always replace it with a small piece of black eggcrate or thinner acrylic/plastic if need to keep a lid. Which size did you get? Looking forward to the build!

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be easy to cut due to the thickness but possible. You can always replace it with a small piece of black eggcrate or thinner acrylic/plastic if need to keep a lid. Which size did you get? Looking forward to the build!
Added a couple "teaser" photos, when the RSR showed up it didn't have a note for me! 1 point to Waterbox!

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned that there will be larger tanks in the series, will you be making those wider or are you sticking with 2' for the whole line?

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned that the brace could be moved over in the cabinet to allow about 4" more space in the sump section of the 135.4. Would that space allow for a 34" long sump if I wanted to go larger and upgrade?

Richards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned that the brace could be moved over in the cabinet to allow about 4" more space in the sump section of the 135.4. Would that space allow for a 34" long sump if I wanted to go larger and upgrade?
"can reduce the equipment compartment down to 8"." So assuming that the boards are .5 to .75 inches thick, that would leave you with 38 to 38.5 inches for sump space.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back