Waterbox Reef 190.5 vs Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 G2?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one would y’all go for? I like the new ATO on the Red Sea tank. I currently have a Red Sea Max E 170 but have never owned a Waterbox Aquarium to be able to tell the difference if any. I might go to my LFS tomorrow to see if they have any on the floor to see them in person. Both tanks have similar dimensions. Does any have an advantage over the other or is it basically down to Brand Preference?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference I can see is that Waterbox has an aluminum alloy frame and a gate valve which is a big plus in my books, if I was going to choose between one or the other I'd say Waterbox, but honestly either one you'll be happy.

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow I didn’t even realize the Red Sea didn’t have an aluminum frame. I read it had an aluminum “floating shelf” and assume that’s just what they decide to call it…

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new larger Redsea's do have aluminum frames.
Does that include the Red Sea Reefer XXL 625 G2+? I’m looking on Red Seas website and it says they’re made of laminated plywood. It does state the larger models have aluminum supports which I believe is the “floating shelf” they use to support the front panel of glass but that’s not the same thing is an aluminum frame supporting the whole tank

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump..Any other opinions on this? I'm looking at both aquariums as well.
Waterbox: larger sump, but it doesnt look like there's a wall in the lower cabinet (standard chiller section) to separate electronics from all the salt. It also looks like they use 15MM glass vs 19mm. With the waterbox you get an aluminum frame but I'm not seeing a center support like on the G2.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back