Waterbox Reef 220.6 build thread. Jumping in to the deep end.

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting a reef tank for years. I finally ordered a Waterbox Reef 220.6 tank and cabinet a couple of weeks ago. It’s back ordered, estimated 6-8 weeks, so 4-6 weeks remaining. This is my first tank. I am currently planning to have fish and mixed coral. My tank will be in my living room with a salt water mixing tank in the laundry closet that shares the wall behind the tank. I want to run ro/di to auto fill the ato tank in the cabinet and do automatic water changes from the salt water tank in the laundry room using the DOS pump. The waste water from the ro/di and the water change from the tank will run into the washing machine drain. I may stack my washer/dryer to make some room. I’m really excited and hope I can be patient enough to do things right.

Equipment already received or on its way:

Radion G5 xr15 pros with RMS mounts x 4
EchoTech Vectra L2 return pump x 1
EchoTech VorTech MP40 powerbeads x 2
Reef Octopus Regal 200INT skimmer
Neptune ApexEL, leak detection kit, DOS for auto water change, 2 optical level sensors with magnet mounts, 2 solenoid valves
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
Four stage RO/DI 100 gpd MarineDepot KleanWater
RO tubing/fittings
AquaMaxx GFO/Carbon media reactor standard size
Sicce Syncra 1.5 pump - for salt mixing station ( will this be big enough?)
Sicce Syncra nano pump 110 gph utility pump
Adaptive Reef controller board
RedSea blue bucket salt mix - 460 gallons
160 lbs CaribSea life rock (40lbs each of regular, shapes, shelf and arches)
100 lbs CaribSea Arab-Alive special grade sand
Flipper Max float alge scraper
Kent Marine ProScraper II 24”
Aqueon siphon vacuum gravel cleaner
API saltwater master test kit
RedSea foundation pro test kit
RedSea marine care test kit

Things I still need to order:
Saltwater mixing/storage tank, may use a Brute 44 gallon can until I find the right one.
Starter bacteria, looking at Dr. Tims, MicroBacter Start, Fritz turbo 900 or BioSpira (any recommendations?)
Tank additives
Refugium light (was looking at AI prime refug light but still researching)
Alge barn CleanChaeto starter kit
float valves x 2
Power strips

Possible future equipment:
Quarantine tank, equipment and medicine.
Dosing pumps
maybe 2nd apex eb832
Battery backup
Calcium reactor
ClariSea SK-5000, I think I would remove the filter sock holders if I go this route

Please let me know if you see any issues with my equipment/planned setup or if you would recommend different stuff. Any advice or criticism is welcomed and appreciated. I will post pictures along the way.

My journey begins!

-Sean

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

So far IMO you have selected all great equipment to run this tank.
I can say that of what you listed I have Dr Tim’s, Microbacter, Fritz, and whatever bacteria comes on the Carib sea life rock and live sand in my tank. I have also added Biodigest after the 5 month mark. I cannot say which one is best but I can say that now at 8 months I have an extremely stable biological filtration.

Im looking forward to your build! :)

OP
OP
S

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was delivered July 7. Pallet was destroyed during shipment, thankfully no damage to tank or stand.
47834A8E-10AF-41B4-8F67-41217C7C3F76.jpeg
BC142729-D654-46FD-8392-5B9E325B54C9.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was some other damage to the boxes but again no damage to contents.
62DE98D1-D43D-4DD2-99F2-B80E91AAB13A.jpeg
3FC06317-90B7-497C-B17C-7F6606E97D3A.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 of us moved tank from garage to the stand. I bought a 500lb table lift from harbor freight that was a tremendous help. I bought 4 suction cup handles from Amazon that if I had to do over again I would have bought better ones. Even with 4 of us and the cart, it was still tough getting the tank up onto the stand, but we got it on there.
C15008FE-EA37-45D5-A858-EE3F50C8E749.jpeg

First fish in tank.
4307636D-FE62-49C1-A98D-973D0BE3046B.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts and plans:

I wanted a filter roller but I didn’t want to remove the filter sock holders/baffles in case I want to go back to using them. I have ordered plumbing parts to plumb the clarisea sk-5000 in and to plumb the return pump in, the flexible return line is causing the pump to tilt.

I am not sure 2 mp40s is going to be enough. I will order more if needed.

I need to organize my cords and controller, they have become a huge mess in a hurry! Next, I plan on building a water mixing station in the garage (originally planned for the laundry room).

I am starting my fish less cycle tomorrow. I am going to try ghost feeding.

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s it going? I just got mine set up today and wondered what stage you’re at now.

OP
OP
S

SPStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted in a while, thought I would give an update. I planned on updating this thread more often but life/work gets in the way. There are 4 fish in the tank, 2 clowns, a Blonde Naso tang and a Foxface. I ended up removing the filter sock holders and baffles so the filter roller could fit in that area. I did this because I feel like I will want to use the refugium. I dropped one of the MP40 dry sides on the tile floor and it was pretty loud after that. I took it apart and replace the bearings and it is much more quiet now. It makes a little more noise than the other one but its not too bad. I still have to hook up auto water change system, just dont seem to have the time. For filling the Auto top off reservoir I run 1/4" tubing to the laundry room for now.

I am planning to add some more fish and hopefully some coral in the next few weeks.

Here are some pics:
fishInTank.jpg
controlBoard.jpg
Sump.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back