Waterbox Reef DX 100.3 Build (the fun begins!)

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone!

Unfortunately during one of my 3 moves in the last year and a half my Waterbox 70.2 was damaged and I decided that using as is or repairing was too risky.

After discussing this with my wife I decided a new build was in order.

I am super excited to have just placed my order for a Waterbox Reef DX 100.3.

I'll primarily be reusing equipment that I have from previous builds but I have to determine what I have and what I will need to buy.

I have placed an order for more rock. I ordered 40 more pounds of caribsea liferock to use in this build. This will be in addition to 40 that I have from my 70.2 build.

As I go through the equipment I have already I'll update here on what I will be using.

Follow along with me as I build my first reef as an Ohioan!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone!

Unfortunately during one of my 3 moves in the last year and a half my Waterbox 70.2 was damaged and I decided that using as is or repairing was too risky.

After discussing this with my wife I decided a new build was in order.

I am super excited to have just placed my order for a Waterbox Reef DX 100.3.

I'll primarily be reusing equipment that I have from previous builds but I have to determine what I have and what I will need to buy.

I have placed an order for more rock. I ordered 40 more pounds of caribsea liferock to use in this build. This will be in addition to 40 that I have from my 70.2 build.

As I go through the equipment I have already I'll update here on what I will be using.

Follow along with me as I build my first reef as an Ohioan!
Sounds great! Keep us posted!

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and just got my Reef DX 100.3 last week! I'll be joining along your journey and hopefully get some tips from you. I've already had to make cuts into the acrylic sump to fit a filter roller . It was a little nerve wracking doing it to such a beautiful sump!

OP
OP
Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and just got my Reef DX 100.3 last week! I'll be joining along your journey and hopefully get some tips from you. I've already had to make cuts into the acrylic sump to fit a filter roller . It was a little nerve wracking doing it to such a beautiful sump!
Awesome! Congrats on your new build and welcome to R2R! Which filter roller did you get? I have a KLIR DI-4 from a previous build. Wondering if it will fit once I receive mine.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Congrats on your new build and welcome to R2R! Which filter roller did you get? I have a KLIR DI-4 from a previous build. Wondering if it will fit once I receive mine.
I got the clarisea sk-3000. The filter sock section is pretty skinny so I doubt it would fit any filter roller brand but maybe you will get lucky!

20220808_123223.jpg

20220808_123249.jpg

20220808_123340.jpg

OP
OP
Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the clarisea sk-3000. The filter sock section is pretty skinny so I doubt it would fit any filter roller brand but maybe you will get lucky!

20220808_123223.jpg

20220808_123249.jpg

20220808_123340.jpg
Wow. Brave soul. Lol It does not look bad but I doubt I will tempt a mod like that.

If the KLIR I have will not fit I will likely either do filter cups or just filter socks.

Hoping you start a build thread so I can follow along with yours as well!

Pipo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank That sump looks nice just wondering on there sight it shows the ATO sits right on top of the refugium how will it work if u have a light with a arm?

OP
OP
Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank That sump looks nice just wondering on there sight it shows the ATO sits right on top of the refugium how will it work if u have a light with an arm?
I think some have mentioned using a submersible light. I'm not sure how I will handle that. Although, I will have a closet directly behind the tank so I may put the ato there.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another issue I'm now realizing is that by having the ATO sitting above the sump, the output can't be in the sump since gravity will cause continual drainage of the water once started.

OP
OP
Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it once you're done!
Thanks! I actually have put the stand together. The tank and sump are still in the garage. I am finishing up drywall and then will be ready to continue. Although, my wife says I can't go all in until my Phd work is complete. Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back