Waterfall noise in Waterbox Reef 130.4

gkMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This is my first reef aquarium. I bought a 130.4 Waterbox Reef tank. Right now I'm going through a fishless cycling process and letting the tank get set up. I hear a dropping noise from the "waterfall" as water comes to the grill in the overflow box. Even if I raise the water another 1/4 inch up to by overflow drain, the sounds still persists.

I'm wondering if I could put a sponge or something else that would dull the sound. Any concerns? Any other suggestions? Am I being to demanding with the level of noise I should expect :) ?

Thanks!

1612730757755.png

1612730703525.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zip tied a ziploc bag there to allow the water to run down the plastic instead of dropping into the tank. Worked great. A sponge might accomplish the same thing but would need cleaned occasionally

OP
OP
G

gkMiami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kenny, would you mind sending a pic so I could get a sense of how you secured it. I'm concerned with it blocking my return.

I'm also thinking of raising the standpipe level a 1/2inch inch so it aligns with my aquarium water level. hope that is not going to lead to bigger issues.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't have a picture. It's been a long time since I've done this. You basically just need to create a path for the water to run down rather than just fall and splash into the overflow. If you do the plastic bag method be sure it doesn't plug your overflow teeth it drain!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
adjust the gate valve. if there is continuous noise with a lot of bubbles in the sump then u need to close the valve. if its intermittent/broken noise without bubbles then water is going in the emergency drain. u need to open the valve a bit.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back