Watermelon Chalice on its way out…

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this beautiful chalice about 3 weeks ago, it’s looked fine up until the other day when I noticed a section of skeleton showing as a small hole On top.
The tissue looked tighter than normal which shown up all the spikes, so it looks a bit sunken in than from when I first got it.

On the underside there was a Smooth brown tissue which also appears to have degraded.

I placed this directly on the bottom of my tank in full light.
The tank is mainly sps dominated and my parameters are stable.

nutrients are
no3 8ppm
po4 is 0.08ppm
Cal 430
mg 1275
dkh 9.6
k 440

This happens to any good looking chalice I bring home, other run of the mill ones thrive without issue..

keen for some ideas what’s happening?
image.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this beautiful chalice about 3 weeks ago, it’s looked fine up until the other day when I noticed a section of skeleton showing as a small hole On top.
The tissue looked tighter than normal which shown up all the spikes, so it looks a bit sunken in than from when I first got it.

On the underside there was a Smooth brown tissue which also appears to have degraded.

I placed this directly on the bottom of my tank in full light.
The tank is mainly sps dominated and my parameters are stable.

nutrients are
no3 8ppm
po4 is 0.08ppm
Cal 430
mg 1275
dkh 9.6
k 440

This happens to any good looking chalice I bring home, other run of the mill ones thrive without issue..

keen for some ideas what’s happening?
image.jpg
Can you shade it for a couple weeks?
Your lights may be way brighter than the tanks the chalices may be coming from being sps dom.

I see no issues with parameters.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not light damage looks like it go stung/ wats worriesome is the top eye is nice an puffy where all the sides are pulled in flow may be an issue hard to tell in stills

OP
OP
Heisenberg 78

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve placed it under the shelf now, since that what was my first inhibitions were.
I’ll keep it there to see how it does..

I don’t have much experience with chalices they all tend to do the same as this one. Shrivel up then strip.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve placed it under the shelf now, since that what was my first inhibitions were.
I’ll keep it there to see how it does..

I don’t have much experience with chalices they all tend to do the same as this one. Shrivel up then strip.
Same was happening to mine. Seem to get better when I stopped running gfo and granular carbon.now I try to keep nitrates above 15 and phosphates above .15

OP
OP
Heisenberg 78

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t run any GFOin my tank, but my nutrients are more swayed to the heavy side of sps.
I carbon dose elimi np and add lanthanum to assist in po4 removal.

I thought chalices didn’t like too much light, but my LFS has one of the same chalices in the shop display, it’s placement is to the middle region and in full exposure to the light.This is what made me think the bottom of the tank in full view was a reasonable compromise.

it’s not really gotten any worse so, let’s see what the shade brings..

Back