Waterproofing the interior of my stand.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulk the edges(where panels meet) with painters caulk, then use an epoxy paint. Something like rustoleum's appliance paint. Has kept my stand nice and dry for 5 years now.

I would recommend white as it makes everything easier to see in the sump when lit.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above:)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my DIY stand, I didn’t feel like dealing with the fumes from oil based or epoxy paint so I went with a water based paint. I used Kilz Premium Latex primer to seal the stand, then used Behr Premium Plus acrylic paint. The acrylic enamel forms a nice glossy hard shell that’s durable and easily wiped.

BA646281-F960-4D0A-A387-A91A5F43914B.jpeg
990BF828-8B8F-474D-BC07-6599521B70C0.jpeg

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done all the suggestions so far. The best look and easiest application (no fumes or thick messes) was caulk and Kilz followed by latex paint. On my current system, i just used a can of flex seal. It works like a champ and is super easy to clean. That said, its expensive and the fumes were crazy.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rustoleum's TopSider. Excellent, HARD, durable finish. I've used it on several wooden stands, and always been very happy with the results.

My current stand is powdercoated steel... yes, that's an excellent finish, but it's not exactly a typical aquarium stand.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done all the suggestions so far. The best look and easiest application (no fumes or thick messes) was caulk and Kilz followed by latex paint. On my current system, i just used a can of flex seal. It works like a champ and is super easy to clean. That said, its expensive and the fumes were crazy.
Fumes wouldn't bother me as I can just do it in my detached garage. Flexseal is an awesome idea! Waterproof, and would flex with the stand. Where as paint would have a tendency to crack if the stand flexed a bit.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand was design to hold water, basically a plywood box at the bottom. I primed with Zinsser, Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy, then caulked the corners.

GU1vRcn.jpg

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy + sealing corners. That is what I used on my previous tanks stand. Worked great (contained a leak)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back