anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There,

I hope someone can adivse :)

I've set up a saltwater tank about a month ago, this is my first so I am a complete newbie who likes to do a lot of research - after cycling finished, I introduced 2 small clownfish, they seem to be doing well, but this is only their second day. In the future, I am looking to add clean up crew, softies and LPS, but I am not in a hurry at all. I hope these little boys will be fine, and I am planning to introduce 2-3 red-legged hermit in a few weeks if parameters are fine.

Before I add corals, I'd like to set up the tank so it has a flow that can support life properly. (really I'd like to do this ASAP as I already added the two fish).

My current setup is the Fluval Evo 13.5 gallons with the stock light. I upgraded the bio media to bio home ultimate and changed the return pump to the Eheim Compact 1000 to increase the turnover rate, that is now 20+ /hour.

After doing some research, I think it would be a good idea to imitate oscillating and turbulent flow.

To have a turbulent flow present, I was thinking to replace the return pumps output with the vivid creative 1/2in random flow generator nozzle and also add a wavemaker for oscillating flow (it would be nice to find a small and quiet one that is not expensive either).

Do you guys think the above would be enough or too much, or I might even be completely on the wrong path here. If it's feasible, what would you recommend for the oscillating flow?

Thank you kindly!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the nozzle and see how well it works. As long as you don't have spots of crud building up from no flow then you should be fine. The corals you are probably going to get prefer a sway in the flow but not whipping.

PS Do not rinse the sponge in freshwater. It is a massive home of nitrifying bacteria.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try the nozzle and see how well it works. As long as you don't have spots of crud building up from no flow then you should be fine. The corals you are probably going to get prefer a sway in the flow but not whipping.

PS Do not rinse the sponge in freshwater. It is a massive home of nitrifying bacteria.

Thank you, Spare time!

Sounds good, I might just go with that, although, I don't mind spending for an extra powerhead if the above is not enough. What is your opinion about the Jecod SOW-4? ( also looked at the Sicce Voyager Nano 1000, Koralia Nano 900 and Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025)

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Spare time!

Sounds good, I might just go with that, although, I don't mind spending for an extra powerhead if the above is not enough. What is your opinion about the Jecod SOW-4? ( also looked at the Sicce Voyager Nano 1000, Koralia Nano 900 and Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025)
+1 on what was already said but you probably will need a small powerhead for deadspots (usually one of the back corners). The tunze is good but I would go for the jebao because it’s dc. This means that it has adjustable pump speed so you can increase and decrease flow to your needs. I think of them as budget mp10’s. If you had a larger tank I’d recommend an mp10.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what was already said but you probably will need a small powerhead for deadspots (usually one of the back corners). The tunze is good but I would go for the jebao because it’s dc. This means that it has adjustable pump speed so you can increase and decrease flow to your needs. I think of them as budget mp10’s. If you had a larger tank I’d recommend an mp10.

Thanks - yeah it's a small tank and I have a 20x return rate from my pump already that's why I was thinking about the SOW-4 so I can play with the flow. Since I had the big water change (reduced nitrates t 1.5) and added the fish my diatoms almost disappeared from the tank, except opposite the pump, that is the front of the tank, I have less there but I started to spot some very minimal green algae (not sure whats that?). I am thinking maybe the flow is not strong enough there.

So this powerhead could generate an oscillating flow, forgive me if it's stupid, but wouldn't the turbulent flow (when installing the RFG) just mess up the oscillating flow? How would you place these in the tank? I would probably place left from the water output from the return pump, just below the input holes, so both would be at the back wall - one on the left, the other (is already) on the right.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Spare time!

I tend to avoid the Chinese brands due to increased chances of stray voltage and failure as well as reversed flow. Again I would just try to see how it goes at first without it.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - yeah it's a small tank and I have a 20x return rate from my pump already that's why I was thinking about the SOW-4 so I can play with the flow. Since I had the big water change (reduced nitrates t 1.5) and added the fish my diatoms almost disappeared from the tank, except opposite the pump, that is the front of the tank, I have less there but I started to spot some very minimal green algae (not sure whats that?). I am thinking maybe the flow is not strong enough there.

So this powerhead could generate an oscillating flow, forgive me if it's stupid, but wouldn't the turbulent flow (when installing the RFG) just mess up the oscillating flow? How would you place these in the tank? I would probably place left from the water output from the return pump, just below the input holes, so both would be at the back wall - one on the left, the other (is already) on the right.
They would just create randomized flow together. The green algae is probably just live rock developing coralline

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some 3-d printed RFG nozzles in my Fluval flex paired with the smallest hydor koralia, I really liked that setup. They did a great job. Not sure I'd spend money on the RFG though. When I switched over to my 20 gal long setup, I also changed to 1/2" line instead of 3/8" and the RFG no longer provided a random current with the larger line and same gph through them. So I switched to two fan nozzles, then bought a Jeabo SLW-10. I absolutely love it. I actually plan on doing a full review on it soon. I was originally was trying to decide between the Jeabo SOW-4 and SLW-10. The 4 has lower flow rates which is theoretically better for smaller tanks, but when when you consider flow, I think the higher flow slw-10 is actually better for a smaller tank. Number one, its absolutely tiny and takes up hardly any space in the tank. The SOW-4 sticks out much more into the tank. Number two, the flow pattern of the SOW-4 will be more of stream, where the SLW-10 is much wider. A wider flow in a smaller tank will be more gentle on corals and fish, letting you get away with higher flow rates as it doesn't just batter your livestock.

In the end, even if you went with RFG's I think you'll need another pump somewhere. So I'd say just stick with standard nozzles and get a DC powerhead to create the turbulent water.

OP
OP
A

anddak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some 3-d printed RFG nozzles in my Fluval flex paired with the smallest hydor koralia, I really liked that setup. They did a great job. Not sure I'd spend money on the RFG though. When I switched over to my 20 gal long setup, I also changed to 1/2" line instead of 3/8" and the RFG no longer provided a random current with the larger line and same gph through them. So I switched to two fan nozzles, then bought a Jeabo SLW-10. I absolutely love it. I actually plan on doing a full review on it soon. I was originally was trying to decide between the Jeabo SOW-4 and SLW-10. The 4 has lower flow rates which is theoretically better for smaller tanks, but when when you consider flow, I think the higher flow slw-10 is actually better for a smaller tank. Number one, its absolutely tiny and takes up hardly any space in the tank. The SOW-4 sticks out much more into the tank. Number two, the flow pattern of the SOW-4 will be more of stream, where the SLW-10 is much wider. A wider flow in a smaller tank will be more gentle on corals and fish, letting you get away with higher flow rates as it doesn't just batter your livestock.

In the end, even if you went with RFG's I think you'll need another pump somewhere. So I'd say just stick with standard nozzles and get a DC powerhead to create the turbulent water.

thanks for the detailed info I already ordered the RFG nozzles so I will give that a go now, should arrive tomorrow.

If it’s not enough I will prob add a powerhead. It’s all a process I guess....:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back