Wave goodbye to waves in your tank?

How important is it to recreate waves in your reef aquarium?

• Very Important

Votes: 142 24.4%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 201 34.6%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 135 23.2%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 100 17.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wave makers are basically water surge devices that are used in aquariums to produce waves that are similar to that of seas and oceans.

Tunze Wavebox 6208
6208.000.jpg

One thing I don't see as much lately as I used to see in the hobby are people who using wave makers and power heads to create actual waves in their tank. It was all the rage back in the day! :p Is it just me or was that a trend that is no longer popular? Let's talk about it!

1. How important is it to recreate waves in your reef aquarium?

2. What are some of the pros of having more natural wave action in your reef aquarium?

If you have any wave videos from your tank please share!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've read that the wave action can put quite a bit of stress on the tank seams.
I just go for random flow.

I have heard that as well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this a DUD of a topic today? HAHA!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a DUD of a topic today? HAHA!
Does 1/4” count as a wave? If so, then yes I make waves.

More random flow though lol.

I use a mix of gyres, MPs and returns positioned accordingly to get a nice back and forth movement throughout the tanks. In doing so, I end up with 1/4” or so waves up top lol.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above it puts too much stress on the tank seams for no benefit, I dont see the purpose of waves in a tiny box, we can grow corals without waves, so all it is is to 'look cool'.
It wouldnt look so cool when your seam breaks.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess i think of a wave with the back and forth of the corals. Maybe I have a random flow. I have 2 eflux 2100gph set on opposite sides of the tank set at 30%. One kicks on the other is off. I dont get water sloushing around.
I'm not sure if this is a true wave or not.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME waves can also have an unfortunate side of effect of added salt spray/salt creep.

airmotive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember when people were trying to create a "standing wave" in their tanks? Basically, timing the wave inputs so that the waves met at one spot, creating a hump in the water's surface. Essentially, aquatic resonance. That just seemed like spilled water waiting to happen.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tank manufacturers warranty's will be voided if you have this type of wave in your tank. As others have said it places to much stress on the seams.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a real Wavebox that I made out of a Tunze. The thing moves 100% of the tank water all the time. I use them in every long (rectangle) tank that I have - they are a must have for me.

I wonder how many people who voted have actually used one?

1990 built Oceanic tank in my house with no structural issues. Perhaps some of the vendors need to build a better tank?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank would have to be somehow connected to the ocean to make "natural" waves.

Current and water movement provide the "circulation system" for sessile animals and plants that gather food, nutrients, and O2 from their environment. Very important, but actual "wave" replication would also need to consider tides, currents, storms, connected with temperature and many other parameters to mimic oceanic water movement as it impacts a reef.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
When I had a 240G, 8ft long tank, I had a wave maker and would have again if I had a tank that long. BUT with my small 40G tank now, it wouldn't make a lot of sense and would likely make a mess, so I just go for a randomized flow pattern.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a real Wavebox that I made out of a Tunze. The thing moves 100% of the tank water all the time. I use them in every long (rectangle) tank that I have - they are a must have for me.

I wonder how many people who voted have actually used one?

1990 built Oceanic tank in my house with no structural issues. Perhaps some of the vendors need to build a better tank?
For the record, I've used several types (including the Tunze Wave Box). I love the motion and the circulation, but I'm not going to risk tank failure on 460 gallons...

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering making waves can damage glass tanks with seals. I dont tempt it. Specially with a 135g tank built in 1982. I do however. Have all my power heads pointed up this way corals dont get blasted directly with flow.

Flow meets in the middle of the tank and crashes all over the tank when it meets. This is the best way to position regular power heads in my opinion

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record, I've used several types (including the Tunze Wave Box). I love the motion and the circulation, but I'm not going to risk tank failure on 460 gallons...
At 460 gallons you are already in the "risk taker" category, imo :)

I do wonder how much additional stress a wave maker creates vs. standard pressure from a water column?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back